Moving Sub

docpro

Jan 30, 2024
Visit site
I need to move house and have bought a load of cardboard boxes for my speaker setup

Have a B&W PV1D Sub - its 19KG in weight

Was hoping a double walled cardboard box as attached would be enough

But I just put the sub in the box and its holding it but the bottom of the box is bowing a little

Doesnt feel 100% safe to use it.

Any ideas?

The only 3 wall cardboard boxes I can find are these £85 for 5

Attachments

• IMG_5390.jpg
    IMG_5390.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 4

Messiah

Do you drive?

Is someone else moving the stuff for you like a removal company?

I only ask this as when I move, even if using a removal company, I put all my hifi gear in the car and transport it personally to ensure it will not get damaged.

The box should be ok for that if you were able to simply box it, stick it in the car and transport it. I would just ensure it is well taped up. (You could also use a sack truck/barrow which will support the bottom when transported - and save your back lol)

Reactions: docpro and DougK1

docpro

Jan 30, 2024
Visit site
thanks guys. yes thats what i was thinking. have taped it 6 times will tape it some more. run out of tape yesterday.

not sure the 3 wall box will really solve the problem

going to use a man with a van service. these guys say they have a loading trolley

and I can travel with the driver. if anyone knows of a better service in london area Im all ears!

Attachments

• IMG_5391.jpg
    IMG_5391.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 3

ianrjones

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
Hi docpro, I worked in the despatch industry, in London. If you want to ride in the van, take care, as you will not be insured. I have an attic where I keep all packing. Proberbly a fire hazzard. Good luck.

Fandango Andy

Hi docpro, I worked in the despatch industry, in London. If you want to ride in the van, take care, as you will not be insured. I have an attic where I keep all packing. Proberbly a fire hazzard. Good luck.
I think he is talking about travelling in a removal van, not a courier. Its normal for removal companies to be insured for a couple of passengers.

I know someone who didn't want to drive when moving house. She had a lift in the removal van and put her Smart Car in the back with her home contents.

docpro

Jan 30, 2024
Visit site
Went for the Davpack tripple wall boxes in the end. Double wall was still bowing too much for my liking even with shed loads of tape on the bottom

tripple wall really makes a difference for the heavy subs

needed 4 boxes anyway - £90 in total for 5 - expensive but worth it for me given cost of items in them

davpack website looks like its from 1995 - but delivery was super quick next day - so pleased all round

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts