Best Speakers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
jcbrum said:
Go and find out for yourself, oldric. Talk to Martin. Hear them for yourself. With your prelidictions, I really think first-hand assessment by your own hand and ear is probably the only way you will be happy.

That's what I did.

JC

sorry JC. I don't trust my ears. I trust graphs. it's kind'o fishy that a company that boasts so much about the importance of low distortion design can't even present measurements.... I somewhat disbelieve your claims that they offer any lower distortion than any other typical 2-way speaker at or around their price.

Firstly, I didn't restrict my comment to typical 2-way speakers, or restrict it to a price bracket. Neither did the OP. Those are simply your imaginative presumptions.

in no way any imaginative presumptions. you said AVIs have lower distortion to which I replied that I sincerely doubt it and then I added that any other speaker in that price range and construction principle will have similar distortion levels, to compare like with like. but you're right, if we discard price and design restraints there's simply no content, you'll easily find speakers with lower distortion.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
p.s. on the other hand, they do have more than 25 years experience of designing, and manufacturing very high quality audio equipment, both electronics, and loudspeakers. You might learn something. :) JC

wow, you really need 25 years of experience to put together some OEM drivers and a few planks of wood? any decent DIYer (I mean no disrespect to any DIYer) could do that with a few days of making preparations. but they needed 25 years to design a wooden box with two holes and then buy some drivers from ScanSpeak? well done AVI!

BTW since you're already boasting of experience in speaker design; my speakers are essentially unchanged since their inception some 40 years ago (granted, there were plentiful tweaks but the basic principle remained unchanged). another ones that I'm contemplating are about 50 years old. I believe that people behind those designs know a thing or two how to make a worthwhile product too. it's not like only AVI holds all the secrets to audio perfection.

J

jcbrum

Nah, - Ash does the PR.

I'm just a AVI user, and ordinary forum user, speaking from personal experience.

Max says can he have an account please JD, because he thinks you're all being unfair.

JC

J

jcbrum

oldric_naubhoff said:
jcbrum said:
p.s. on the other hand, they do have more than 25 years experience of designing, and manufacturing very high quality audio equipment, both electronics, and loudspeakers. You might learn something. :) JC

wow, you really need 25 years of experience to put together some OEM drivers and a few planks of wood? any decent DIYer (I mean no disrespect to any DIYer) could do that with a few days of making preparations. but they needed 25 years to design a wooden box with two holes and then buy some drivers from ScanSpeak? well done AVI!

BTW since you're already boasting of experience in speaker design; my speakers are essentially unchanged since their inception some 40 years ago (granted, there were plentiful tweaks but the basic principle remained unchanged). another ones that I'm contemplating are about 50 years old. I believe that people behind those designs know a thing or two how to make a worthwhile product too. it's not like only AVI holds all the secrets to audio perfection.

HaHa, well if they don't need 25 years experience, you don't need 40 years either, oldric. ;)

Go and talk to them, show them your stuff, you might enjoy it :)

JC

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
At least JC and Oldric are having a debate, this comment and David's are simply designed to aggravate and provoke people.

Merely pointing out the two/three times the cost thing is a comment intended to be negative towards hi-fi dealers, and is supposed to reinforce the value aspect of the product. As has already been pointed out, there's extra costs involved when not going through a dealer. If a direct seller decides to sell through a dealer, the costs are reduced.

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
jcbrum said:
They do all their own original research and design work.

Who does their PR?

At least JC and Oldric are having a debate, this comment and David's are simply designed to aggravate and provoke people.

Is it working?

Child.

You can have that one for free.

Do you not see something slightly odd about jcbrum acting as the mouthpiece for people who have been banned from this forum?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
jcbrum said:

Who does their PR?

Is it working?

Child.

Do you not see something slightly odd about jcbrum acting as the mouthpiece for people who have been banned from this forum?

Er, the post I responded to was before JC said that, so I don't see the relevance.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
jcbrum said:

Who does their PR?

Is it working?

Child.

I don't really get the PR comment at all. Cno has posted pro-Linn comments far more often than JC has pro-AVI. Ditto PP and Leema. And MA. Probably ditto you and Uniti. Ditto Chebby and MCR603. Ditto Lindsay and wardrobes.

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
jcbrum said:

Who does their PR?

Is it working?

Child.

Er, the post I responded to was before JC said that, so I don't see the relevance.

You should read more of his recent posts then.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The Genelec 8260a

They may not be everyones idea of the best in the world but these are probably the clearest that I've ever heard. They have a lovely detailed and smooth sound that I could listen to all day long. The DSP on them works too. I'm usually sceptical of using DSP but with these it did seem to help the sound.

I'm not too sure about the looks though? :?

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/genelec2/1.html

8020a_zpsc6cbbf4a.jpg

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
jcbrum said:

Who does their PR?

Is it working?

Child.

You should read more of his recent posts then.

Your comment was 'who does their [AVI's] PR?' That's got nothing to do with max.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
BenLaw said:

Merely pointing out the two/three times the cost thing is a comment intended to be negative towards hi-fi dealers, and is supposed to reinforce the value aspect of the product. As has already been pointed out, there's extra costs involved when not going through a dealer. If a direct seller decides to sell through a dealer, the costs are reduced.

I was referring to you saying 'Is that the best you can come back with Overdose?' That was very childish also.

J

jcbrum

John Duncan said:

I'm not acting as anybody's mouthpiece JD, I'm simply contibuting to the thread (on topic, - best speakers) based on my own equipment and my knowledge of the manufacturers, whose activities I maintain a keen interest in.

I'm sure that others take an interest in Naim, or Linn, or whatever, and this is supposed to be a forum to discuss matters pertaining to HiFi.

JC

p.s. It's true that Max did email me to say he wanted to contribute but couldn't because he didn't have an account atm, but he didn't ask me to put that post to you. I just thought you might see the humour of the sutuation and take pity on poor old Max. - JC

J

jcbrum

p.p.s. It was Chebby who suggested that Max did AVI's PR. Rather humourously too, I thought. :rofl:

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
atticus said:
lindsayt said:
JCBrum, can you also please tell me when you've had the opportunity to compare the drivers in the ADM 40's against the drivers in my speakers? There aren't many people in the UK that have the same speakers as me. It's possible that there aren't any.

What are your speakers, lindsayt?

The speakers that I've got that JCBrum is the least likely to have heard are Bozak Symphonys and EV Patrician 800's.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I was referring to you saying 'Is that the best you can come back with Overdose?' That was very childish also.

Well it wasn't a great comeback was it. I mean:

What I would like to know is (genuinely) why anyone would take their speakers (or any other hifi equipment for that matter) anywhere other than their own home to listen to? What's that all about? Does this really happen?

The whole concept of moving a hifi system to some sort of convention seems rather bizarre to me. Is this what you consider normal?

Yes, he knows it does! It happens every year!!

BenLaw said:
Ditto Lindsay and wardrobes.

:rofl:

Incidentally, I took the OP literally, which, had they used a question mark, might have been seeking views on the best speakers, bar none. I've never heard AVIs but it seems slightly implausible they are the best possible. Don't tell Magico, David Wilson or the Sonus faber people! [to name just three]

Indeed it was Lindsay who early on challenged what question might have been intended.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts