Best Speakers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
orly_bush.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Lovely drivers, shame about the box (and front ports).

Is it to much to ask to at least conceal the cover fixings and use magnets?

Would love to listen to a pair.

regards

J

jcbrum

They look good with the grills on, and the wood veneers are very attractive. They don't need big ports, and are not sensitive to being against a wall.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Some of the speakers designs out there are pretty monstrous I think. These definitely fill the more conservative looks wise.

What ever I don't think I've seem a speaker I'd want to live with, grilles off.

Fwiw, I saw a thread somewhere, where the owner had replaced the black surrounds on the ports with chrome ones. If grilles off are the thing.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
you forgot to add a ;)

Doesn't need one, ;)

JC

yes it does. for there are speakers, since we're at boxes, with better drivers, better enclosure materials and engineering and no ports which in turn translate to lower distortion of the speaker (and no, crossover distortion is not the whole story. it's only a tiny bit) and better dispersion patterns. I'm pretty much sure that something like this is way better than any AVI in pure engineering terms, but also aesthetically:

Q3_1.jpg

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm just wondering what JCBrum thinks the AVI ADM 40's are best at, as the original poster has left this thread rather open ended?

Best sounding speakers ever made?

Best sounding DAC/amp/speaker combination that you can buy anywhere for £3250 - regardless of age?

Best sounding DAC/amp/speaker combination that you can buy new today for £3250?

Best sounding small footprint, reasonable WAF, DAC/amp/speaker combination that you can buy new today for £3250?

Best sounding DAC/amp/speaker combination that JCBrum has heard so far?

Best sounding DAC/amp/speaker combination that JCBrum has bought so far for £3250 or less?

Best sounding DAC/amp/speaker combination in JCBrum's house?

Or some other best?

J

jcbrum

The sound quality is better than anything else, and the distortions are lower.

I know you like big old wardrobes, lindsayt, but they have big old drivers in them which are simply not as good as leading-edge new designs of drivers.

I know some like mega-bass, seemingly no matter how distorted (do you drive a Citroen Saxo ?), and electronic low frequency sounds are popular in some films. Those speakers in the picture are able to drive an LFE Sub, or stereo subs, if you wish, by reducing their bass output with a switch, but for music they simply don't need it.

JC

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
JCBrum, can you also please tell me when you've had the opportunity to compare the drivers in the ADM 40's against the drivers in my speakers? There aren't many people in the UK that have the same speakers as me. It's possible that there aren't any.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
The sound quality is better than anything else, and the distortions are lower.

I'm not going to ask you to pove the first part of that statement because, as they say, the beauty is in the ears of the listener. But could you possibly forward distortion mesurements of those "wonders"? Make sure you get some measurements for deep bass too. Something like for 40 - 50 Hz. I'm really curious how they stack against the best.

J

jcbrum

lindsayt said:
There aren't many people in the UK that have the same speakers as me. It's possible that there aren't any.

I'm not having a go at you, lindsayt, but I'm not surprised. I don't think there's anybody left, these days, who wants loudspeakers like that. That's why manufacturers don't make them any more. They can't sell them.

There's no reason why you shouldn't own them, and enjoy them, if you wan't to. Mostly, everyone else doesn't.

JC

T

the record spot

oldric_naubhoff said:
yes it does. for there are speakers, since we're at boxes, with better drivers, better enclosure materials and engineering and no ports which in turn translate to lower distortion of the speaker (and no, crossover distortion is not the whole story. it's only a tiny bit) and better dispersion patterns. I'm pretty much sure that something like this is way better than any AVI in pure engineering terms, but also aesthetically:

Q3_1.jpg

Must admit, of the two I'd have the ADM's anyday. How many drivers do you need? Reminds me when Mission brought out the 753, four drivers each in that one plus the tweeters. Just seems like several too many...and as JC mentioned, they're not the most attractive. Rather too industrial for my tastes.

J

jcbrum

Go and find out for yourself, oldric. Talk to Martin. Hear them for yourself. With your prelidictions, I really think first-hand assessment by your own hand and ear is probably the only way you will be happy.

That's what I did.

JC

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Verrtical line arrays are not a bad idea when it comes to speakers. They have a better in-room dispersion pattern than single drivers. The downside is comb effects at near-field listening distances, plus the cost of multiple drivers. As always in hi-fi, especially speakers, it's swings and roundabouts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts