Best Bluray discs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
In a very similar non-intellectual vein to Pacific Rim, and equally good demonstration material for both picture and sound, is Battleship, which I own. Home Cinema Choice magazine rated the Blu-ray as reference for both picture and sound.

Nobody likes Battleship? Strange, as it is similar in plot and audio-visual quality to Pacific Rim, which many people like ....

Son_of_SJ said:
I'll change the mood slightly and offer one of my top three Blu-Rays of all time (not just for sound and picture quality but also for the plot, the other two being "Argo" and "I've loved you so long") namely the Spanish psychological horror (but only certificate 15) "The Orphanage". The picture is very good, but the sound is really excellent -not loud all the time, but intermittent sudden noises, panning around the whole soundfield whether outdoors or in creepy interiors, very deep notes in places, shocking impact on occasions - really, really top-notch.

Nobody likes The Orphanage? Shame, because apart from the terrrific Audio-Visual effects its plot makes it a really good film!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Pacific rim 3d is probably better than In 2d which is saying something.

However good 3d films visually are often the better 2d films aswell imo

Its an essential 3d purchase in my mind and on the right set a real joy to watch.

I have been using the 2d version to test my sound system improvements especially in the bass.
Its up there with tron for bass quality

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Actually, I enjoyed watching Battleship whenever it came on Sky movies. Watched it in full once, then in parts every now and then. :)

Another Battleship fan! I watch it from time to time, all the way through. Let's fight together to defeat the unbelieving hordes which are clearly led by The_LHC!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
But still no fans of The Orphanage, which I describe in post numbers 47 and 51 above. Perhaps everyone has watched it using only the television's sound, rather than on a surround-sound system or even using a soundbar. In that case, nearly all the appeal of its sound effects will be lost. Or perhaps people went to see it at the cinema and simply didn't like it enough to buy the blu-ray! it is more than a bit creepy, but not dripping with blood. It is a very good film though.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
bigboss said:
Actually, I enjoyed watching Battleship whenever it came on Sky movies. Watched it in full once, then in parts every now and then. :)

Another Battleship fan! I watch it from time to time, all the way through. Let's fight together to defeat the unbelieving hordes which are clearly led by The_LHC!
Don't look at me, I've never seen it (never will as long as it's got Rhianna in it), just telling you what everyone else thinks...

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Son_of_SJ said:
bigboss said:

Don't look at me, I've never seen it (never will as long as it's got Rhianna in it), just telling you what everyone else thinks...

Looking forward to the next bond film where....Rihanna is going to be a Bond girl!!

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
I think the quality of 3D depends on whether the film was originally shot in 3D or was it converted later to 3D. Obviously, films shot in 3D (with good cinematography) will be superior to the converted ones.

Sometimes the quality of 3D regardless if it's a true 3D film or done in Post can be down to the authoring of the BD and or the cinema putting it on. As there are different ways of creating 3D on BD I guess this can also throw things out from time to time.

As with everything there are so many variables.

As I have said before in other threads. If a 2D picture is set up properly then it will look 3D but nothing will come out the screen at you, it will only be depth. Saying that films shot in 3D and presented on a 2D BD can give more depth I have found.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Okay, getting desperate now!

Son_of_SJ said:
But still no fans of The Orphanage, which I describe in post numbers 47 and 51 above. Perhaps everyone has watched it using only the television's sound, rather than on a surround-sound system or even using a soundbar. In that case, nearly all the appeal of its sound effects will be lost. Or perhaps people went to see it at the cinema and simply didn't like it enough to buy the blu-ray! it is more than a bit creepy, but not dripping with blood. It is a very good film though.

This is a screen save from a set of Powerpoint slides that I have made of my favourite films

TheOrphanage120onetoolbar_zps42a75c24.jpg

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Son_of_SJ,

I think I may have watched "the orphanage" on bluray at some point but as it was released nearly 6 years ago and I have brought many more blurays since then, I will need to check later on when I get home after work.

If it turns out that its not in my collection, judging by your picture it sounds like a great film and I'll probably put in an order through amazon.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I'll definitely be checking that out. Optimum releases are usually pretty spot on. I watched Animal Kingdom last night. It's an Australian film, a little abstract but still pretty good. The picture was really nice and there was some really good surround sound in it. Just like Black Sheep that I mentioned earlier in the thread. Ausi movie audio seems to be a little more realistic that some of the bigger blockbusters.

I haven't seen Wolf Creek on BD yet. I remeber the DVD audio almost being very good but I think the authoring of the disc may have messed it up slightly so I'm hoping the BD version will have as good an audio as Black Sheep and Animal Kingdom. Iguess Wolf Creek 2 might be a contender too if they did it right.

Horror films, modern ones anyway can sometimes have the best audio over othe rmainstream blockbuster films. The DVD of Texas Chainsaw Massacre the remake has some of the best DVD audio I ever heard. Can't wait to see it on BD.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Wey-hey, macdiddy, yo' de man!! The Orphanage is one of many good Blu-Ray films that, even more than a good screen, need a good sound system to fully appreciate it. Even just in stereo sound it loses something, it does need at least a 5.1 sound system. You won't regret buying it, I promise!!

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
thanks Son_of_SJ

I've got a 7.2 setup so it should sound even better.

May I recommend to you another foreign language horror film on bluray that has a great DTS soundtrack, it's call "Them" (easy to find on amazon) released in 2006, the sound plays an important part to build up the tension as most of the film is set at night in a large echoy house in the middle of nowhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts