Basic Hi Fi System

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for the cryptic detail, I typed a detailled post but it did not go through. Please feel free to request any further information from me, thanks.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
BasicHIFI said:
Sorry for the cryptic detail, I typed a detailled post but it did not go through. Please feel free to request any further information from me, thanks.

Please provide us with all further information necessary to make a recommendation. I can't be bothered specifying everything so let's play a game of 20 questions until we can get the most basic parts out of the way.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
How basic is basic?

What sort of budget are you looking at - are you talking CD based, vinyl or streaming?

To start a Yamaha as501 or last season's as500 are a good starting point - speakers, depending on if you want something that can fill a room with sound or something in the background will require a bit more thought.

The Yamaha amps provide a decent 85watts pc the 501 comes with DAC.

If you want to expand your system at a later date a musical receiver is also worth considering.

But first things first how much do you intend to spend?

BasicHIFI said:
Sorry for the cryptic detail, I typed a detailled post but it did not go through.  Please feel free to request any further information from me, thanks.

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
How basic is basic?

What sort of budget are you looking at - are you talking CD based, vinyl or streaming?

CD, never vinyl, and streaming from phone/tab/pc. Budget : under USD 200 for everything. I already have the DVD player and Sony Bookshelf speakers from an all in one system, the Sony XOD20.

Thompsonuxb said:
To start a Yamaha as501 or last season's as500 are a good starting point - speakers, depending on if you want something that can fill a room with sound or something in the background will require a bit more thought.

The Yamaha amps provide a decent 85watts pc the 501 comes with DAC.

If you want to expand your system at a later date a musical receiver is also worth considering.

I can buy a used Sony TAVE 910 locally, is this one too old? There are other amps in the local classifieds.

Speakers: maybe I need to do some listening to some speaker systems at an electronics shop and draw some conclusions. Question is, are existing speakers too small?

BasicHIFI said:

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
200 dollars!?

EBay is your friend - you will need to upgrade your speakers though.

Ok eBay - do a search for a Yamaha dsp ax-620, not it's brother the rx-620. It'll be about 12 or so yrs old. Get one in good working condition, it'll cost you around 25USD - speakers, again look for older models but any Mission 7xx series. For a basic set up about the same price.

If you see a pair of mission 780/1's make sure the mid/bass driver has been changed has they had a known problem.

When you hit the lotto you can upgrade.

Read up on the amp it's got mixed views but I own one and it's superb for stereo.

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
200 dollars!?

EBay is your friend - you will need to upgrade your speakers though.

Ok eBay - do a search for a Yamaha dsp ax-620, not it's brother the rx-620. It'll be about 12 or so yrs old. Get one in good working condition, it'll cost you around 25USD - speakers, again look for older models but any Mission 7xx series. For a basic set up about the same price.

USD 25 is just fine, did not see any on ebay, will keep searching, of course I have to work out shipping as well.

Thompsonuxb said:
If you see a pair of mission 780/1's make sure the mid/bass driver has been changed has they had a known problem.

When you hit the lotto you can upgrade.

Read up on the amp it's got mixed views but I own one and it's superb for stereo.

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I have a choice right now of several amplifiers on sale locally ( awaiting shipping quotes for ebay)
Pioneer VSX-D606SPioneer' VSX-D509SSTR-K5900pSANSUI AU5900Sony TA VE910 AV ebayhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-TA-AX285-All-Power-Stages-Direct-Coupled-Acoustic-Control-Amplifier-/171229023261?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item27de0b8c1d only $ 127 to ship!
Does it make a really big difference which one? Will upgrading the speakers instead on the existing sound centre be a better bet?

And what is wrong with all in one 'mini hi fi' are they just too low quality no matter what?

Hope to do some listening at a showroom today, but in my new search for Hi-Fidelity I ask myself two questions:

1) Remember the last time you heard a piano/guitar/drums live?

2) How does the piano/drums./guitar in the music I am listening to now compare?

How much can I close the gap with $200?

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
BasicHIFI said:

I think you need to add a number 3 to that. Which is 'How good is the (recording) I'm listening to?'

Wanting a realistic presntation is all well and good, but this also depends heavily on what recordings you listen to. Just something to consider.

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation - anything to look for in buying a used amp? I mean I will have to insist it is hooked up and I hear it?

By the time I get around to buying it may be gone...

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
BasicHIFI said:

I think you need to add a number 3 to that. Which is 'How good is the (recording) I'm listening to?'

Wanting a realistic presntation is all well and good, but this also depends heavily on what recordings you listen to. Just something to consider.

Of course. Just curious, with your set up and a good recrding, does, say a piano piece played throught your system sound like the grand piano was in your living room? If so when did you cross the line?

My Program Material : if you can comment: Carlons Santana: Shaman, Supernatural: Bee Gees : This is Where I Came In, Siprits having flown. Was streaming James Taylor's greatest hits the other day.

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
One more question / observation I recently replaced my car stereo and immediately noticed a difference in soud: the sould was clearer and less 'muddy', clearer and crisper at all frequencies. Not ony that, the sound is punchier, as if the sound pulse is much sharper and more defined, and there is less distortion al around so much so I cannot hear it. Is this due to more power or better chipsets - my old stereo was a pioneer from the early 2000s. Does more power mean better sound definition - generally?

BasicHIFI

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Just had a listen to an Acoustimass 3 piece at the local dealer. While the sound was full, and bass quite good, at higher volumes I did not like the sound from the box tweeters.

I cam away smiling because I thought I could but together a better sounding system at a much lower price. I would use better tweeters.

What's the opinon on the Acoustimass?

TRENDING THREADS