Fancy tech purchases

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Friesiansam

The comment that said ".....because Italian cars are cr@p at cornering", was surely a joke. I've had several Italian cars and one thing they are not, is "cr@p at cornering". ✌🏻
I've only owned one Italian car, a Fiat Uno 55, numerous years ago, it was a determined understeerer. On the other hand it was full of Latin character, the little engine was great and thrived on revs, it was very basic inside like Italian small cars used to be and, it had the obligatory high-pitched horn that could wake the dead!

Reactions: WayneKerr

fraukzsent

Jul 11, 2023
Visit site
My daughter spent a fortune on her Apple iPhone, incl £300 on dedicated ear buds. By contrast, my Samsung cost peanuts by comparison and even though the picture and sound quality is a little better on the iPhone, my phone has as many features - or as many as I need.

DCarmi

For me it is a question of priority and usefulness. As I said before I tend to keep my phone for a number of years on a sim only contract. It gets used daily as a multi-function device: email and other comms, calendar, book library, internet browsing, maps, shopping and shopping list, camera for snaps, audiobooks and music (can't take my turntable on the train).

For that reason I buy one that I hope will last me a few years and do the tasks I need it to. Basically, over its life my "fancy" phone costs me around £400 a year, including the original purchase and connection charges.

I guess in a few years time, when retirement comes, my priorities will change.

Reactions: Al ears

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Galaxy Z Flip 4 is reduced from £999 to £599 on Amazon if you're quick. Bargain!
A neighbour had a folding Samsung Z Flip 4 she got on contract and she loved it and got a sparkly bling case for it.Then she accidently sat on it and because she is a big girl - it was totalled.

She was mortified because the insurance didn`t cover it.

I told her to get a Chinese tough phone next time.
My rooted Doogee S96-Pro is mega - the battery lasts well over a week and it got run over by a Range Rover and it was fine.And it can charge other phones.
For a crazy bet I put the phone in the freezer overnight and it survived unscathed.
Of course it`s totally waterproof and can do videos 3 metres underwater. I bought it mainly because it takes 20MP pictures and videos in total darkness.Normal 50 MP pictures don`t look too bad either and also DOOGEE S96-PRO.jpghas 5cm macro.Not bad for £200 and came with wireless charger.
It weighs twice as much as my Samsung Galaxy A13 5G but it`s worth it just for the bombproof practicality.

Last edited:

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
A neighbour had a folding Samsung Z Flip 4 she got on contract and she loved it and got a sparkly bling case for it.Then she accidently sat on it and because she is a big girl - it was totalled.

She was mortified because the insurance didn`t cover it.

I told her to get a Chinese tough phone next time.
My rooted Doogee S96-Pro is mega - the battery lasts well over a week and it got run over by a Range Rover and it was fine.And it can charge other phones.
For a crazy bet I put the phone in the freezer overnight and it survived unscathed.
Of course it`s totally waterproof and can do videos 3 metres underwater. I bought it mainly because it takes 20MP pictures and videos in total darkness.Normal 50 MP pictures don`t look too bad either and also View attachment 4888has 5cm macro.Not bad for £200 and came with wireless charger.
My car cost about £80k.
My stereo cost about £120k.
I am still using an iPhone from 2018.
The car was a bit of a vanity purchase and I’ve only done 23,000 km driving in the past 6.5 years .
My stereo has been a forever upgrade journey which has brought lots of frustration as well as enjoyment although I am close to the plateau .
My phone is a necessity that I use every day and so arguably has more utility .
At the end of the day , value , budget , affordability are individual and nobody should feel they need to criticise anybody else for the choices they make.

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
My car cost about £80k.
My stereo cost about £120k.
I am still using an iPhone from 2018.
The car was a bit of a vanity purchase and I’ve only done 23,000 km driving in the past 6.5 years .
My stereo has been a forever upgrade journey which has brought lots of frustration as well as enjoyment although I am close to the plateau .
My phone is a necessity that I use every day and so arguably has more utility .
At the end of the day , value , budget , affordability are individual and nobody should feel they need to criticise anybody else for the choices they make.
Nice - I hope you have good luck with everything and have super-duper insurance MrSinghsStereo.
A lot of my electrical junk is over 20 years old but does me.
When I lived in Hong Kong I had the money and space for a big heavy stereo but I had to give it all up and stop driving when my health declined.Happy memories though.

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
I`ve got a thing about Dali Katch bluetooth speakers.
I`ve been quite unlucky and lucky with them.
I first got a first generation blue one which was lovely and I even got a second one to make it into a stereo pair.

I didn`t really need two because one was more than good enough so I gave one away to my fabulous lady neighbour who was delighted with it.
I also gave her a custom fitted carbon fibre hard case for it and a 6 year guarantee.

Then I bought another blue one to replace the blue one I left in the pub.
That one got stolen so I got another dusky pink one straight away; that got left in the pub as well so I got a cream gen 2 which also got stolen from a car.

So I got another black gen 2 immediately which was great until a so called friend nicked it - but I couldn`t prove it so that was a loss.

I had to get another black one last night - so now I`m on my 7th Dali Katch.

I love the sound and battery life and because I used to go to posh clubs and wine bars with chairs outside in Altrincham, Cheshire I had Dali Katch`s out in the rain playing loud all night sometimes and they survived unscathed - I just shook the rain out and plonked it on the radiator when I got home and it was fine.
You`re not supposed to bang or drop a fancy boogie box but all mine held up fabulously well and it was not even splash proof according to Dali !! - Yes it is - I`ve had 6 Katch`s out in storms all night plus they got so hot on the beach in Egypt in July - I couldn`t even pick it up - it was roasting hot.I had to put a towel on it to cool it down - plus shake the sand out of it - I`m not kidding.
Plus I`ve dropped them in the sea and swimming pools and they still continued to play music underwater with no pause whatsoever ! Amazing !

So they`re pretty and bombproof - my friend calls them Johnny-proof `cos that`s me so he bought a black one too.

If you get one - I can assure you it`ll survive most assaults - I took all mine on a jolly good test drive.DALI KATCH 6.jpg

That`s why I love Dali boogie boxes.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts