Bananas / Spades

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
But solder oxidises!

Which is why you refresh the terminations periodically.

RobinKidderminster said:
I used Vascelene on banana plugs and have never worried since.

I understand that Tara cable owners may need vaseline, butttt... *biggrin* If you use Vaseline or any other non-conductive coating, your point of connection in a banana plug is reduced to that little tightening screw or even worse, a spring. The resistance of that termination is probably quite high because the vaseline acts like a dielectric reducing the effective metal to metal touching conducting surfaces. You wanted to do good but you created the worst conductivity bottleneck possible.

Did the bass loosen up a bit with the new vaseline plug treatment?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Agreed Vlad. There must be a similar conductive 'grease'?

Yes actually. It's called Quicksilver.

Soldering spades on your cables and heatshrinking them well, is the most durable termination with excellent conductivity. As previosly suggested by andyjm.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This is a conductive grease that should seal bare speaker cable ends .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008RKXIFY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008RKXPBQ&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0VVJSBS3TR4TPD8W75JJ

I use the Nordost style lightweight spring type banana plugs .

mojCyC635vXM61WDl2HnATQ_zps57d1ea49.jpg

I soldered them to my Van Damme 4mm cable using silver solder and then used shrink tube to seal the joint , and it works very well with zero maintainence .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts