Banana plugs - to buy or not to buy??

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

Just after some advice for my system, i have been looking at banana plugs this morning on thatcables website and was thinking of buying some as they are only £8.99 for a pack of 20 as i'm not happy with the bare wire connection on my amy. I noticed the other day when i was forced to move my amp that the speaker wire had suffered some disclouration which i thought can't be good, no? I'm just wondering if banana plugs are worth the money and if there is any benefit in sound, also, would i be better off spending a little extra or does price not really matter for this type of product? I'm regretting not getting the speaker cable terminated with plugs when i bought it tbh.

Any advice much appreciated, thank you!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The discolouring is oxidization and you're right it won't help the sound, you can trim the bare section off and redo the connection to get around that. I think Banana plugs will only help with this if you solder them to the cables, otherwise it'll still be possible for oxygen to get into the cable, unless the plugs are sealed in some way.

Banana plugs do make connecting up to the amp and speakers easier though, and neater, no chance of stray wires touching the wrong terminal!

Paul.

Agree with the above, they wont make your system better, but they will make it sound sweet longer if you move things around alot. Its best to solder them if you can as that prevents oxidisation.

Also, its tempting to look at the big plugs and expect quality due to the weight, but in actual fact you want a low mass plug, you want to put as little material as possible between the cable and component.

I went for some nackamichi plugs on ebay, very nicely made and very cheap. No discernable loss in sound quality.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-pcs-Nakamichi-Speaker-banana-plug-connector-Gold-New-/110648052588?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item19c3234b6c#ht_2358wt_966

A

Anonymous

You can go totally crazy and get WBT0644 midline banana plugs but these would set you back 80 GBP for 4

jarra

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Banana plugs - to buy or not to buy??

Good quality plugs with 2 screw threads + Vascelene. Works for me.
Panasonic 42G20. Yamaha 2065, AE Aegis Evo 5-1, Sony S570, Seagate theatre +, Wii,

Robin, just were are you putting the plugs..
emotion-14.gif
emotion-14.gif

jarra

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc:Jarra, rather than copying and pasting a post you wish to reply to, use the "Quote" link and put your reply at the bottom, much neater.

Like this......Thanks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jarra:
the_lhc:Jarra, rather than copying and pasting a post you wish to reply to, use the "Quote" link and put your reply at the bottom, much neater.

Like this......Thanks.

Perfect!

jarra

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster:

One in each ear ofcourse ! Thanks jarra
emotion-10.gif

My QED cable fitted a treat - so much better than bare wires. (I find QED cable stays in the ears better than 30A mains)

I am a bit naughty at times.
emotion-1.gif

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
ATCTRW,

No, they just have a couple of screws which clamp the cable in place. For thinner cables you can use both and for something thicker, just the one. (My XT Anniversary silver fitted nicely) They are well made too.

Rob

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks to you all for replying.

Special mention to Paul for the recommendation and i have ordered a few packs of the nackamichi plugs so it's just a case of waiting for them to arrive now, many thanks!

Whenever i have had to move my kit i've had nightmares about having to wire up the amp yet again lol as they don't make it easy to wire them up with bare speaker wire, eh! You need really small hands just to feed the wire in so i can't wait to see an end to the problem
emotion-21.gif

Once again thanks to all that took the time out to reply it was very much appreciated
emotion-2.gif

Paul.

I have them on both ends for the fronts three, but only on the amp end for the rear speakers as I have to thread the cable through the stands for tidiness. If it weren't for the stands I would have the rear speakers plugged as well.

A

Anonymous

I must mention that the NACHAMICHI banana plug's are not only good quality they look nice and are a lot cheaper than many other's. I use them in my system and am very happy with them but to tell you the truth i do not think that they improve the sound nor make the sound quality any worse just the same as if you were using bare wire also you have the piece of mind that no bare stray wire will short circuit your amp which can easily happen, so therefore everyone should really use them just to be on the safe side. Thank's for listening.

monkeey

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I say go for it! Find some good banana plugs and just go for it. They don't cost that much. I personally use banana plugs from connectionlab. Again, a friend recommended me, I'm not an expert in this kind of things, but yea, they work pretty good for me :D

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The speaker cables are copper so they will always oxidise , see the Statue of Liberty , banana plugs make it alot easier to terminate your cables so go for it , they will still discolour unless you "tin " them up , but you can just cut them back every year or so and the plugs will still make this easier

C

chrisfromca

I directly to buy the cables from nakamichi. I like their cables. Very nice.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
For products like this furutech for me or wbt xhadow, eichmann are all good.

Furutech because they are well madee occ copper, non magnetic - thumbs up if i could do it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts