Balanced mains supply

A

Anonymous

I too have been toying with the idea of a lower powered one for my HiFi. I have an Isotek filter unit and I emailed Airlink nearly two weks ago asking them for help as to whether my Isotek unit had better filtering than their conditioning CBS1500 or whether I could save money by opting for just the Balanced version, the BPS1500. In the time it has taken them to NOT reply they have pushed the price of the conditioning version up from £228 + vat to £325 + vat which is quite an increase in two weeks. I have just emailed them again to ask if they will honour the original price as it shows in my reserved "shopping basket"

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/balanced-power-supplies.asp

A

Anonymous

Hi guys, looking at the range the one that stands out for me would be the CBS2000 : Conditioning Balanced Power Supply.
It removes transient spikes by using VDR's (varistors); in addition to the RFI suppression.

Having stability of the supply brings not only sound improvements by cutting down on ripple current but increases the component life of your expensive equipment.
Wow, that's a big price increase Chris, I hope they will honour the price on your inquiry.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
jase fox:How much is it going for Rik?

Not cheap. £430 delivered

That said, its WAY cheaper than Russ andrews, with far higher energy output

I need the 3kVA as my power amp is an absolute beast for power. Otherwise the far cheaper 2kVA would have been fine

(I was toying with getting a 1.5kVA and a 2kVA but that would mean I wouldnt be able to use my Isotek Sigmas with my power amp. if im going to do this, I might as well do it properly
emotion-1.gif
)

Im also toying with putting Clarity Caps in my speakers to see how that pans out (Im thanking you for that one Trev
emotion-4.gif
)

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK
My beast beats your beast, Ha ha.

200w x 7 (Onkyo 875)

But seriously a 2k mains transformer is plenty enough to handle all your system can put through at it.The CBS2000 is slightly dearer but I can see your thinking with using your Isotek Sigmas.
The step down transformers inside your Amps will be much smaller than 2K.

Think you will be amazed at the quality of the music when you use a good mains supply.
Clarity caps by passed with Visheys are wonderful, thats another thing you have to look forward to. :)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
trevor79:aliEnRIK
My beast beats your beast, Ha ha.

200w x 7 (Onkyo 875)

But seriously a 2k mains transformer is plenty enough to handle all your system can put through at it.The CBS2000 is slightly dearer but I can see your thinking with using your Isotek Sigmas.
The step down transformers inside your Amps will be much smaller than 2K.

Think you will be amazed at the quality of the music when you use a good mains supply.
Clarity caps by passed with Visheys are wonderful, thats another thing you have to look forward to. :)

Ive looked at the offical wattage papers for the P1000 and if 8ohm speakers are used then the 2kVA will be on its limit (With all my other gear plugged in too)

But im pretty sure my speakers can dip quite a bit lower than that so when its in full flow I really need that 3kVA

(That said, if you can explain this 'step down' transformer better? Maybe ive got my calculations wrong?)

Id taken them from this ~
http://www.arcam.co.uk/_ugc/file/p1000e_manual.pdf
I attempted to order the balanced supply a few hours back, but it wouldnt accept my card
emotion-12.gif
(I hate verisign, it seems to be completely random if it works or not)

Phoned them up and the lady that deals with it had left early

So due to me working nights im going to have to wait a week to reorder methinks

A

Anonymous

Hi - Whilst the 2kva size will be fine (work on 1000w per kwa)going for the larger 3kwa will reduce the impedence on the mains more as well as smoothing / filtering the supply.

The transformers inside the Amp are called step down units because they reduce the mains supply voltage down to the rail voltage required. It is still AC until it passes through the diode bridge which makes it DC voltage.

Yes I would go with the larger one providing size and weight is not a problem.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Trevor

Unless I stumble on something else in the meantime (very unlikely), ill definitely be ordering (well, sorting out my payment) for the 3kVA unit. I'll let everyone thats interested know my thoughts on differences it makes.

I might be asking a few questions on caps soon though Trev
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

FYI Trevor, Airlink have said they will honour the "outdated price" and so I decided to order the cbs1500. They finally replied to my queries about the filtering in their units by saying they were transformer experts and not audio experts so they couldn't comment about the differences between their mains conditioning and Isoteks.. which I think is a dissapointing answer. However I can't wait to try the cbs1500 unit.. but of course "wait" is exactly what I'll have to do
emotion-1.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
chris_t:FYI Trevor, Airlink have said they will honour the "outdated price" and so I decided to order the cbs1500. They finally replied to my queries about the filtering in their units by saying they were transformer experts and not audio experts so they couldn't comment about the differences between their mains conditioning and Isoteks.. which I think is a dissapointing answer. However I can't wait to try the cbs1500 unit.. but of course "wait" is exactly what I'll have to do
emotion-1.gif

I seriously doubt their 'conditioning' would be as good as an isotek

A

Anonymous

guys , its getting to the stage , where your pesky home entertainment systems are hindering the enjoyment of your power supply
emotion-5.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:guys , its getting to the stage , where your pesky home entertainment systems are hindering the enjoyment of your power supply
emotion-5.gif

Ive got all the electronics I need right now. Ill not be buying a new amp or cd player for a LONG time (assuming they last of course)

Ive just bought the sony S370 bluray player which is incredible for the money, and ive the PS3 for gaming (And playing what the S370 wont have)

Ive got reference grade speaker cables so theyre staying. So im down to the mains and interconnects

Ive taken on aboard a lot of whats been said around the net, and in some ways I do agree with the sceptics. For example, ive just fitted some Van Damme balanced interconnects between my pre and power amps (Bad thing being the power amp isnt a fully balanced design, so maybe if I come across one cheap and good enough I might upgrade that) . I had some VERY expensive interconnects fitted between them at first (different makes though as I simply used what I had spare).

My initial thoughts on the van dammes (Which are very cheap for balanced interconnects) are theyre truly transparant. Theyre not supposed to 'colour' the sound in any way unlike what ive found with solid silver etc. Now im aware you probably dont believe in 'burn in', but ive experienced it even with these. Ive been watching a series on dvd, and after about 10 hours, certain peoples voices went too low (Like the speaker was vibrating at the low frequencies as they talked), but after another 6 or so hours thats dissapeared. (Im just adding my experiences to anyone thats interested)

I dont believe it sounds as detailed as my RCA interconencts, but I truly believe cables sound better over time so ill see how it goes (Though as ive stated, theyre hindered due to the P1000 power amp not being a truly balanced design)

So out of everything I have, im down to the mains. I know my house mains is a tad poor due to all the braided cables I have making such a difference (As does my isotek etc), and the fact that every now and then ill experience 'dimming lights' (rare, but happens)

And ive read so much favourable reviews on balanced power that im just after trying to get the very best out of what I already have.

Im not trying to listen so hard I miss the music. Far from it as I love music (And killer moments in movies too
emotion-4.gif
). Im simply aiming for the very best I can achieve with my current equipment.

A

Anonymous

fair play rick , cant argue with that
emotion-21.gif
.. hopefully you can get the last pieces of the puzzle in place ...

A

Anonymous

Yes Rik, I agree, its all about enjoying the music and films.

Some mods just make it so much better!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
The orders worked this time (Must not have liked me appearing to live in Steinsel when I first ordered
emotion-4.gif
)

Im quite excited about this purchase, every review ive seen has been VERY positive about balanced mains supplies............

A

Anonymous

Perhaps Trevor could help here. What exactly does a balanced power supply do? My voltage fluctuates between 230V and 250V - will it have any effect on this? I have a Nordost Quantum QBase and much to my surprise it really made a big improvement to the sound - clearer, better defined, better soundstage etc. I'm currently trying out a Quantum Qx4, which also makes a significant difference which you can hear by simply switching unit out and in again. Not in my system as big a difference as the QBase, but still quite significant. I'm probably going to connect a dedicated earth to the QBase at the weekend.

Would using a balanced power supply before the Qx4 be sensible and would it be wise in my set up. I'm using Classe pre and power amps, an Onkyo Processor and speakers based around the B&W 802ds

Advice appreciated

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
A balanced supply converts the 230v to +115v and -115v

As they cancel one another out then it filters out mains noise and lowers the 'noise floor' (Meaning everything should sound 'cleaner')

They use them in hospitals and the like to keep the mains as clean as possible

Not sure about fluctuations, id assume it would still balance out perfectly

A

Anonymous

My conditioning CB1500 Transformer has arrived and it is quite a heavy beast. First impressions are that it is money well spent as imaging is better, the bass extension and clarity are improved and there is reduced "grain" so that vocals sound very good indeed. CDs that I thought were badly recorded with a somewhat glassy sound now sound much better. I think I still have a slight RF problem because there is still a subtle imrovement at 4am but I am getting to work with ferrite rings and the like tonight to see what I can do about that.

The transformer does hum a bit but if it's anything like the BT transformer unit it will lessen in time. By the way as good as the BT transformer was.... this is rather better.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
chris_t:My conditioning CB1500 Transformer has arrived and it is quite a heavy beast. First impressions are that it is money well spent as imaging is better, the bass extension and clarity are improved and there is reduced "grain" so that vocals sound very good indeed. CDs that I thought were badly recorded with a somewhat glassy sound now sound much better. I think I still have a slight RF problem because there is still a subtle imrovement at 4am but I am getting to work with ferrite rings and the like tonight to see what I can do about that.

The transformer does hum a bit but if it's anything like the BT transformer unit it will lessen in time. By the way as good as the BT transformer was.... this is rather better.

Cool

Im really looking forward to trying mine out (Im using my Isotek Sigmas for mans conditoning though)

As for the 4am remark, id hazard a guess the voltage into your house isnt as high as it should be and early in the morning is when its most likely to be as it should (or better)

A

Anonymous

I might check that out with my voltmeter if I can be alert enough to use it at 4am
emotion-1.gif

I am semi detached and I think my neighbour's TV is right the other side of the wall so maybe I have a problem with that... not sure.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Just on another note Chris, from the people I've read about that have tried brand new balanced mains transformers, it usually takes a couple of days before it sounds its best

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
How long did it take to arrive Chris? (time between ordering and actually receiving?)
Did they send a 'tracking code' so you could track the paackage?

A

Anonymous

Well I think it does sound a bit better than yesterday, so I look forward to improvements. It took ages to arrive and if it wasn't for me phoning them on Tuesday I don't think I would have it now. I ordered it on the 17th and when I phoned they said they were waiting for some components from RS and it wouldn't be despatched until after the 26th. After a few more calls on Tuesday they said that someone else was prepared to wait and that I could have theirs. It arrived the next day. No tracking code it just turned up via UK Post.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts