Back wall friendly Bookshelf speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

In a couple months time I want to get a pair of good Bookshelf/standmount speakers for my bedroom. Something that can be placed close to a back wall and sides.

Soundwise: Something that is nice and musical sounding with nice midrange, dynamics and speed. As I listen to all sorts of music, but also love techno and trance. And I mainly listen to vinyl with these music types.

Budget: I don't know yet?, but I am open to your suggestions.

My amp is a nice Quad 405

Preamp is a Quad 44

Turntable is a Roksan Xerxes with rega R200 tonearm and AT-440mla cartridge.

Regards

Shane.

A

Anonymous

On open budget.....stand by for some expensive options.
emotion-5.gif

However, my starter for 10 is the AVI Neutron, it has to be near the top of the list.

Igglebert will probably pop in with the Spendor SA1...(beat him to it) as he also uses a 405.

A

Anonymous

Nice OK,

Yes, I was looking at the spendor SA1 and I see they are getting good feedback. I am aware they are expensive.

Are the SA1 rear ported?

A

Anonymous

Not iggie, but can confirm that they are a sealed design, and bloody gorgeous too, also I use mine only a few inches from a rear wall with no boom at all............

A

Anonymous

MENISCUS:Not iggie, but can confirm that they are a sealed design, and bloody gorgeous too, also I use mine only a few inches from a rear wall with no boom at all............

Sorry for asking,

What music do you listen to with your spendor SA1?

The specs of the SA1 look fine to be used with my Quad 405.

daveh75

If your after SA1's, was at Lintone audio(gateshead) at the weekend and they had some in Zebrano finish for under a grand, not sure if they were ex-demo/trade in or refurbed units but may be worth contacting them.............

A

Anonymous

daveh75:If your after SA1's, was at Lintone audio(gateshead) at the weekend and they had some in Zebrano finish for under a grand, not sure if they were ex-demo/trade in or refurbed units but may be worth contacting them.............

I'm still thinking about buying the SA1's. They look very nice, they should go well in my bedroom considering for their compact size.

Did you hear the SA1 if I may ask?

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Demoed a few bookshelves last year. One guy played me the small bbc type spendors, l3s or something. Lovely sound but i was nodding of. He then played me the SA1s and i loved them . Fun speakers and look fantastic. I couldnt pay that much at the time and bought the AVI neatrons for a fraction of the price.

The neutrons are very happy doing a bit of berlin techno and make my old B&W 601 sound a bit out of breath in comparison.

A

Anonymous

If I had to chose between a pair of AVI Neutron and a Netaudio MK3 dual-mono Quad 405 rebuild, or just a pair of Spendor SA1, I'd probably go for the former. Both are excellent speakers and I daresay both would last a long time, but a mod'ed 405 makes it sound more detailed and natural.

Can you home demo the SA1 with your kit to see if they hit the spot?

When I used a standard 405 with my SA1s I found that it sounded a little bit hard. Apparently the original op amps are to blame for this and there's a lot of different upgrades that can make the amp sound more neutral. I wonder whether the discounted Spendor S3e (£599 from Brighton Sevenoaks) might mix well.

Would love to hear how you get on.

PS The Spendor SA1 are pure magic
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Linn is the best:MENISCUS:Not iggie, but can confirm that they are a sealed design, and bloody gorgeous too, also I use mine only a few inches from a rear wall with no boom at all............

Sorry for asking,

What music do you listen to with your spendor SA1?

The specs of the SA1 look fine to be used with my Quad 405.

Hi, my musical tastes are many and varied but anything between a Mahler symphony to Pink Floyd, in fact just purchased Echoes by the Floyd on vinyl, pure magic...............

A

Anonymous

igglebert:If I had to chose between a pair of AVI Neutron and a Netaudio MK3 dual-mono Quad 405 rebuild, or just a pair of Spendor SA1, I'd probably go for the former. Both are excellent speakers and I daresay both would last a long time, but a mod'ed 405 makes it sound more detailed and natural.

Can you home demo the SA1 with your kit to see if they hit the spot?

When I used a standard 405 with my SA1s I found that it sounded a little bit hard. Apparently the original op amps are to blame for this and there's a lot of different upgrades that can make the amp sound more neutral. I wonder whether the discounted Spendor S3e (£599 from Brighton Sevenoaks) might mix well.

Would love to hear how you get on.

PS The Spendor SA1 are pure magic
emotion-1.gif

I'm thinking about that Net Audio upgrade, I want to get the full 405 upgrade with the MK3 boards, or what ever you call it. This job will cost about £390.

A

Anonymous

David Pritchard at Netaudio is a top chap so it should all be painless. If you go for it make sure you pay the extra £20 or so for the Burr-Brown OPA627 op amps over the ones fitted as standard. I tried them both and find the 627s much better. I got a blue LED too
emotion-1.gif

I have to say, the MK3 goes really well with the Spendor SA1s. The combo is very smooth with top notch imaging and naturalness but also lots of drive when called upon. I listen to everything from Michael Jackson to Bach arias and am often astonished at their ability to keep it together. It won't be long until you'll crave a second MK3 405 to give the SA1s some more current, just to see what happens!

I think it'll be worth trying a passive pre with them too as I suspect it might be a revelation. As with any pre/power combo, you'll want the best preamp you can afford to get the most out of the imaging abilities available.

Anyway, happy purchasing...

A

Anonymous

igglebert:David Pritchard at Netaudio is a top chap so it should all be painless. If you go for it make sure you pay the extra £20 or so for the Burr-Brown OPA627 op amps over the ones fitted as standard. I tried them both and find the 627s much better. I got a blue LED too
emotion-1.gif

I have to say, the MK3 goes really well with the Spendor SA1s. The combo is very smooth with top notch imaging and naturalness but also lots of drive when called upon. I listen to everything from Michael Jackson to Bach arias and am often astonished at their ability to keep it together. It won't be long until you'll crave a second MK3 405 to give the SA1s some more current, just to see what happens!

I think it'll be worth trying a passive pre with them too as I suspect it might be a revelation. As with any pre/power combo, you'll want the best preamp you can afford to get the most out of the imaging abilities available.

Anyway, happy purchasing...

Sorry to bother you again igglebert,

Will I have to arrange my own courier to pick up my Quad 405 to send to NetAudio? Or do they have their own courier to come and collect my amp?

Sorry for asking

A

Anonymous

You'll have to arrange a courier or Royal Mail to pick up and take your amp. Netaudio is actually a one man band working from home but you can also arrange to drop the amp off in person too. I took mine in person because I live quite close.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts