Back to Black Re-issues

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi again! :)

I'm looking to buy some Mike Oldfield LPs (Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge, Tubular Bells) at the end of this month. I'm looking at the back-to-black 2010 re-issues. Does anyone own these? Are they good quality? Back-to-black claim that these have the original 70s mixes, but I'm hoping they don't sound compressed and rubbish compared to the originals. What do people think?

Thanks!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
lambda said:
Hi again! :)

I'm looking to buy some Mike Oldfield LPs (Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge, Tubular Bells) at the end of this month. I'm looking at the back-to-black 2010 re-issues. Does anyone own these? Are they good quality? Back-to-black claim that these have the original 70s mixes, but I'm hoping they don't sound compressed and rubbish compared to the originals. What do people think?

Thanks!

Hi Lamda

I am a big Oldfield fan but all you are getting here are reissues of the original releases on 180g vinyl not the new remixes. I am not trying to be cynical here but I would look for excellent to mint originals or maybe Japanese imports (I have a couple and they are excellent) as they offer true value for money.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. Is ebay a good place to look for second hand vinyl? What am I looking for: excellent to mint condition? If I'm paying a tenner for something second hand, am I not better going for the new re-issues?

Thanks!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've picked up originals in excellent condition for between 5-10 quid so at least half the price. Loads on ebay so you can be choosey but yes excellent as a minimum. If you have a local record shop then that would be my first port of call. At the end of the day it's your money but decent used records can sound every bit as good as new and lets face it you just get more for your money :)

A

Anonymous

Actually, come to think of it, I'm off to visit the parents next weekend in Newcastle where there's a record shop called Steel Wheels. A chance to spend a bit of my hard earned cash, me thinks! :)

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
lambda said:
Actually, come to think of it, I'm off to visit the parents next weekend in Newcastle where there's a record shop called Steel Wheels. A chance to spend a bit of my hard earned cash, me thinks! :)

Good hunting lamda

EDIT actually they have an eBay shop

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
lambda said:

You had better take a big pile of cash because I believe ( though I have never been there ) that Steel Wheels has rather alot of choice . Happy hunting ,

Nick

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
lambda said:

You had better take a big pile of cash because I believe ( though I have never been there ) that Steel Wheels has rather alot of choice . Happy hunting , Nick

Better to go with piles of cash, definetely :bigsmile:

A

Anonymous

Just need to convince the other half that's it's a good idea to spend cash on old records first ;) Steel Wheels looks great, very excited about going there next weekend now! Thanks guys! :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts