B&W MT-30....

ukgthor

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
I had a demo of the MT-30's yesterday at my local(ish) Audio T, and was quite impressed with what I heard, especially when compared to the Focal 5.1 which they recommended I listened to which were around the same money (£1500). The questions I have are as follows:

1. The guy in the shop told me that the subwoofer PV1 is great aesthetically, however you can get cheaper and better subs. He recommended REL (?), but just wanted to know what your recommendations are.

2. The price of the entire MT-30 with PV1 is £1500, just wanted to know if anyone has bought a system recently and did they get a deal and if so what, as this might help me in my negotiations.

3. They offered me the ex-demo set for 20% off RRP, is this a good deal and how do I know that they are good quality and haven't been hammered ?.

I'm relatively new to all of this and I just want to make sure that I make the right decision.

Thanks.

PS: I think that I have decided on the Onkyo TX-SR806 Receiver £450 in my local Richer Sounds. Hopefully this is a good choice.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
1. Stick with the PV1. It's a match aesthitically, but it's also a great sub in its own right. I'm not saying there aren't great subs below this price, but why mix 'n' match if you don't have to?

2. I've had my MT-30 for over a year. I went up to Tottenham Court Rd in central London, and I was able to get the MT-30 in 7.1 for £1460 inc. delivery. The guy was doing regular 5.1 for £1270 inc. delivery. (B&W dealers are forbidden to do internet/phone orders, but there's nothing stopping you going to the store, buying the kit, and them delivering it to your home.)

3. What kind of guarantee are they giving with the ex-demo set? If it's a full guarantee, and the cosmetics are acceptable to you, why not go for it.

Don't forget. The MT-30s come in 3 colours (Many people think it's only 2 due to the lack of press on the white version). Virtually everywhere I went only had black and silver in stock. The guy at T.C.R was the first place I found with the white, which is what we went with. (Only issue if you're looking at the optional floor stands is they don't do them in white. All my speakers are wall or shelf mounted, so it didn't affect me.)

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I personally wouldn't go for the PV1. It certainly looks good which is pretty unique when it comes to subs but you only have to look at the specs to realise that the design leads to a compromise with performance. You would be far better off in my opinion going for a proper (box) sub from a sub manufacturer such as BK or SVS. If aesthetics are more important, go for the PV1. I've managed to (almost) disguise my SVS as a table i.e. I've stuck a lamp on top of it!

In these current climes, discounts are there to be had. I've been offered inital discounts of around 15% of late without haggling so I would ask for more off. They can only say no.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Disagree re the PV1 - it offers style AND substance (hence being in our Award-winners list for years now). Its unique design isn't just for show - the shape has sonic as well as style benefits!

The PV1 is astonishingly fast, agile, and integrated seamlessly into a wide range of packages - we haven't found many speaker set-ups (at a spread of price points) that don't benefit from the PV1's addition.

OK, some other subs are more sofa-shaking, but the PV1 can power it out when required, too - it just does it in a smoother way, rather than a crass, boy-racer approach that some people (inexplicably, IMO) expect a subwoofer to show.

Go for it!

A

Anonymous

Quick note if u have a seveoaks audio near you if you buy an amp from them they will give you 33% off your speaker pack so you should be able to get your mt30 for just over a grand best deal about av been looking so trust me ha well a hope it helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts