AVA Maestro 50

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Like the minimalist look.

The distributor is a little sparse with detail. Some of these amplifiers are rated peak with large distortion. Perhaps this is not one of them.

regards

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:
Now this looks interesting. Digital only input, 50w a side.

Only one input though, I don't get it, it's like building a sonos connect:amp from bits.

I thought that too, but I guess it's better/cheaper than buying a Connect + AE if you want to go the Airplay way.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:
Now this looks interesting. Digital only input, 50w a side.

Only one input though, I don't get it, it's like building a sonos connect:amp from bits.

I thought that too, but I guess it's better/cheaper than buying a Connect + AE if you want to go the Airplay way.

Well, you still need the Apple TV, so it's not going to work out that much cheaper and you're then left with a system that can ONLY play from Apple sources. Dunno, it just seems like a single input dac and amp, which isn't that interesting at all...

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Well, you still need the Apple TV, so it's not going to work out that much cheaper and you're then left with a system that can ONLY play from Apple sources. Dunno, it just seems like a single input dac and amp, which isn't that interesting at all...

but you don't need to connect it to an Apple TV if you don't want to be restricted to play from only Apple sources. I'm pretty much sure some peoples favorite Sosos would be a good match too.

;)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:

but you don't need to connect it to an Apple TV if you don't want to be restricted to play from only Apple sources. I'm pretty much sure some peoples favorite Sosos would be a good match too.;)

Well I appreciate that but then where do I plug the turntable in?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:

but you don't need to connect it to an Apple TV if you don't want to be restricted to play from only Apple sources. I'm pretty much sure some peoples favorite Sosos would be a good match too.;)

obviously this product is targeted at the market who wee on analog sources, don't you think?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:

obviously this product is targeted at the market who wee on analog sources, don't you think?

Or any other source then? Just seems stupidly limited, at least stick a USB input on there or something.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:

Or any other source then? Just seems stupidly limited, at least stick a USB input on there or something.

limited it is indeed.

as for the lack of a USB input; you can always get yourself a USB/spdif converter (like hiface from M2Tech) if you're really in dire need of plugging your computer into this thing and your onboard soundcard doesn't include a spdif out.

T

the record spot

John Duncan said:
My thought was that it would fit nicely on my computer desk shelf. The one below my iMac, with its digital output...

Hang on JD, what...you're not saying you'd, put, I mean...ohh....!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:

limited it is indeed.

as for the lack of a USB input; you can always get yourself a USB/spdif converter (like hiface from M2Tech) if you're really in dire need of plugging your computer into this thing and your onboard soundcard doesn't include a spdif out.

Or I could just buy something else a bit more flexible, see what I mean?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
"this is Pure Digital Amplification"

Ok. How does that work?

AVA Media's statement is unequivocal on this point. (But they fail to explain it) so I don't want to hear about how the digital signal is converted to analogue at any stage :)

Hopefully Clare can explain the 'technicals' as their PR person.

(Ok I know this is a wee bit unreasonable, but why do companies make these claims when it's a technical impossibility? It's as likely to be sending amplified 0s and 1s to speakers as amplified sparrows or cheese flans!)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
The_Lhc said:

limited it is indeed.

Or I could just buy something else a bit more flexible, see what I mean?

at this price point? besides I believe flexibility was not the main consideration when designing this amp. it was rather meant to be a partnering device to streamers or such devices.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I edited my original hasty post ;) You're absolutely right about the digital amplification point, it makes me think this product is not aimed at those with much hifi knowledge.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The frustrating thing is that when you click on 'more', there is no explanation of 'Pure Digital Amplification'...

8151875009_49864de551_o.jpg

...it reminds me of those 'Perfect For Digital' claims made on cassette packaging after CDs came out in the 1980s. Pure 'fluff'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts