AV amp for B&W CM set up????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the following set up having just brought the CM's / PV1 today, but need a little help on the Amp front as a little new to this.

B&W CM7's (front), B&W CM1's (rear), B&W VM1 Centre, B&W PV1, SKY HD, PS3, XBOX 360 Elite, QED Cables, Samsung LE40M87BDX HDTV

First move into a real set up having just had a one box solution before (sony dav 880) and will mainly use for 75% skyHD, 24% blu-ray /DVD / PS3 games, 1% music (if that). I listened to a kef 2005.3 & Denon 1909 set up in a listening room and was dismayed how hollow it sounded, no real depth to the experience. A little concerned that if i don't partner right amp then may not get the best from CM's either. I like the look of the Yam RX-V1900 or the Denon 2310, but open to other options. Budget is around £800 to £1000. Want to try and get a short list and demo a few. should i be concerned if going end of line(V1900)? Anything i should really avoid? Seems to be new version of amps every six months which does not help!

VM1 is due to space constraints and the one concession to wife on 'boxes and cables' . . . .

A

Anonymous

I Know it may not be in your budget but a great setup for that would be the Rotel RSP-1570 as the pre-amp which is (£1395) and the RMB-1565 (£800) as the amp. It is like the other options but it has 2 components, instead of an all in one! I took some pictures of my setup, I use the 683's with the RMB-1565 and the RSP-1570, my PV1 sub will be coming late july :( Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thechoice33/

Sliced Bread

I've read elsewhere on the forum that the Onkyo amps work well with the CM series, however that was a little while ago before the newer Pioneer and Yamaha amps were introduced so they may be better. But you can get some good deals on the Onks if you shop around.

A

Anonymous

Although Onkyo is very good value, great with films, and a ton of features, they are not very musical, although, the guy says he doesn't listen to a lot of music so an onkyo will be perfect!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the thoughts so far - i have a Onkyo CS-515 for kitchen area and very happy with it. However, my concern with Onkyo AV amp is the number of comments i have stumbled upon about the overheating. The area i will keep in the kit in is racked, but is confined somewhat (alcove corner) and the SkyHD gets hot already (but then all sky boxes seem to!).

Sliced Bread

ajharris:Although Onkyo is very good value, great with films, and a ton of features, they are not very musical, although, the guy says he doesn't listen to a lot of music so an onkyo will be perfect!
Have to agree.

When I first got the amp I thought it was excellent with music, however it was just that my previous Denon amp was appalling. After spending some time with it, I do feel a bit wanting for more when it comes to music.

However it is fantastic with films, and still has me impressed even after about 8 months use. Surround steering and outright power in particular are impressive. For films I just cannot fault it...it sounds really cinematic.

Sliced Bread

jimvicks:However, my concern with Onkyo AV amp is the number of comments i have stumbled upon about the overheating. The area i will keep in the kit in is racked, but is confined somewhat (alcove corner) and the SkyHD gets hot already (but then all sky boxes seem to!).

I can't comment on whether you have enough ventilation for the amp, however I have not had any issues with my 905. I have about 5cm clearance at the top of the rack with open sides and back.

A

Anonymous

umm, one thing to add that is starting to concern me is the inputs and getting 5.1 surround sound. I believe the SKY HD box, xbox 360 and PS3 all require optical inputs for best sound and don't send signal over HDMI. that means i need an amp with at least 3 optical inputs on the back (the new denon 2310 has 3, but one is on the front and no one wants a cable permanently on displayed plugged into the front of their box!) .

Seems odd that can't get 5.1 over HDMI as i had simply planned to connect all devices straight to amp via hdmi and then run one hdmi cable up to the TV mounted on a bracket. nice, clean, and simple.

Anyone have a similar problem? Am i missing something? Does the onkyo have 3 optical inputs?

A

Anonymous

Although 'Optical Digital' will deliver 5.1 with 'Sky HD'. On a blu ray player, 5.1 can be delivered with HDMI, and provide Dolby True HD, 'Optical Digital' can not provide 'Dolby True HD' or 'DTS HD.' My advice is to connect the 'Sky HD' box with 'Optical Digital' and your blu-ray player with an HDMI, I don't know what to say about your computer games consoles.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
For PS3 use hdmi, sky requires the optical connection to amp and hdmi to tv, not sure about the xbox elite and don't use mine with my amp.Most amps should have two optical inputs, my Onkyo 606 has two so i might try it and see. So you should have no problems connecting up all your gear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts