Question 2 Amps 1 speaker set - set-up advice

pfladuke

Feb 18, 2024
Visit site
My current set-up is - MacMini - to - Audioengine D1 DAC - to - Sonos Amp - to - Q Accoustics 350i's

I can play lossless music from the Mac to line-in on Sonos Amp or I can stream throughout the house etc

Q - I have a Marantz 6007 Amp and 6007 CD player - how can I add these to the set-up and still use the same speaker set?

I've found this but is there a better way ?

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
So yeah the little speaker switch box will be fine and probably work the best with keeping the amplifier separated from the speakers, however and it's not necessarily everybody's favorite option, but you could simply run both amps together on the speakers.

For example run the Sonos amp to the speakers and then run the Marantz also to the speakers. obviously you wouldn't want both amps playing at the same time, that could of course damaged the speakers, but it wouldn't be that big of a deal and would work fine.

I am aware that people are going to read that comment and say well what about parasitic drain and you can get some feedback from one amplifier into another, however I've done exactly what it is I'm talking about and have had no issues of any kind, again as long as you are not running both amplifiers at the same time, me personally in my experience I haven't had an issue.

But back to it if you want the " audiophile approved" method then yes buy the speaker selector and that'll solve your problem.

By the way there are cheaper options on Amazon for speaker selectors, although the one you linked to has those fancy VU meters on it.

Reactions: pfladuke

Gray

There would be for me, it may not suit you, ignore me if so.

I assume the Sonos and Marantz amps are close enough to be sharing that speaker switch - in the same room maybe?

Personally, I'd want the Marantz as the only feed to the speakers (not least because that switch is too expensive).
Presumably the Sonos allows the multi- room facility you need, so that can still be fed with an input.

I'd have the Mac Mini feeding a Marantz input, either via your DAC or by using the DAC in the Marantz.
Then a fixed (Rec out) from the Marantz could feed the input of the Sonos amp (which probably takes care of your multi- room needs?).
That way, your CD6007 and any other Marantz source can go multi-room via the Sonos amp (?? I wouldn't know as I'm never going to have Sonos or multi-room).

You might need some 'Y' splitting of inputs to achieve what you want, but thats how I'd be doing it.

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

My current set-up is - MacMini - to - Audioengine D1 DAC - to - Sonos Amp - to - Q Accoustics 350i's

I can play lossless music from the Mac to line-in on Sonos Amp or I can stream throughout the house etc

Q - I have a Marantz 6007 Amp and 6007 CD player - how can I add these to the set-up and still use the same speaker set?

Don't be tempted to hook both amps directly to the speakers. The danger is to the amps not the speakers, you could fry one of the.!

The simplest option is a switch box, there are cheaper options such as this one:

You are going to a lot of trouble to shoehorn the Sonos into your system. How important is multi-room to you?

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts