Down sizing. Any thoughts on small form factor set ups?

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all.

I am going to have to downsize my recently purchased setup, due to the addition of a new baby and subsequently a smaller amount of space for my larger amp/speaker arrangment.

I currently have a RA-1520 paired with B&W 685 s1. It runs mainly apple itunes, spotify and TV through a Audioengine D1 DAC, via Apple TV.

(The D1 will be retained but used for headphone listening from my iMac only, not with the HiFi)

For listening I am considering:

NAD 3020 + Q Acoustics 3020's
or
Audiolab M-PWR + Q-Dac + Q Acoustics 3020's
or
Teac AI-301DA + Q Acoustics 3020's

This has come around pretty quick since I only purchased my orginal Hi-Fi set up not so long ago. But a smaller footprint more flexible placement is absolutley what I need!

Happy to hear from anyone who has road tested the gear above or who has thoughts on thes and other options. Budget is pretty much low to middel of the road, but not high end (babies burn through enough cash).

Thanks,

S

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Keep the D1 and add a pair of Adam Artist6, compact floorstanders. That's it!

ARTIST6.jpg

Grills are included and they are available from Thomann for under £600.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Hnnng. But if I recall correctly the OP is based in Hong Kong so not sure about availability of the usual suspects that are viable options in the UK and Europe.

Edit: http://www.guru-acoustics.com/Dealer

no idea about prices as I can't be bothered searching on my phone any further.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:
Pair of AVI DM10 ( they ship worldwide) plus keep your ATV.. that's it.

Excellent suggestion, just a bit more expensive.

Though if the OP is Hong Kong based, who knows what is and what is not available...*unknw*

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Personally I just couldn't take the risk with getting a pair of AVIs shipped. Just too expensive and too much hassle if anything went wrong. If I were in the UK or Europe rather than the Far East I'm sure I'd be a proud owner.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It makes a big difference when you look at what is available and at what prices, it skews the whole price/performance relationship out of all proportion.

When I was running a hi-fi store in Sydney it took a while to get used to the differences, for example when I left the UK the Creek 4040 cost about the same as mid range japanese amplifier. But was outrageously expensive in Aus, twice the price of the 'comparable' japanese product.

If I was based in Hong Kong I would look at the chinese exotica that is comonplace in local dealers.

If you have never taken a look at what is available, try this http://www.cattylink.com/index.html

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Personally I think the best vfm AVI speaker is the DM5. Completely stunning (I have 3 pairs for surround).

The OP can add a sub or not when he's heard them, but he might not feel it's needed.

It might be worth the OP putting out a request on the AVI Forum, as there's probably some HK owners.

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. However, floorstanders are a no no for me as we don't have the space any more and a eventually crawling baby will find them to tempting to pull on me thinks.

Cheers

S

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey there,

Yes still in Hong Kong, hence the space issues. Hong Kong appartment + baby equals a whole lot less space than the little we had before.

As for the brands you are pretty spot on a well. Seem to see Marantz, Denon and Yamaha around a lot. Along with Wharfedale, B&O, B&W and Monitor Audio. As for others they are around but very spotty on selection and most recent models.

It's hit and miss really.

Cheers

S

record_spot

If there's any left, pop onto Ebay and buy a pair of Acoustic Energy's excellent Ae22 Actives. Currently £449 a pair, delivered. That's about half price and you get two very distinctive and excellent sounding active speakers. Just add a preamp/source and you're done. For starters anyway.

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi There,

Ebay can be a little patchy in getting things to HK, but I will give them a look.

I do like to get into the store and hear things though.

Thanks,

S

record_spot

wirelesskiwi said:
Hi There,

Ebay can be a little patchy in getting things to HK, but I will give them a look.

I do like to get into the store and hear things though.

Thanks,

S

OKay, I understand. You would be buying directly from the manufacturer (Acoustic Energy) but it does make listening sessions tricky before you buy if you're in HK!

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Looked into these a lttle more.

I might be able to find the bookshelf versions. But do you find there is any plus/minus verus having an actual seperate amp set up?

Thanks,

S

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I would keep the DAC, get either some actives with front ports. Or a Chinese t-amp from smsl or topping and some sensitive front ported smallish speakers, like the monitor audio bx2.

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Thinking about the NAD3020 which is easily obtained in HK for $3980 HKD.

But in comparison will I find it's 30W output not enough? My Current Rotel pumps out a very soliod 60W, being half of this am I going to find this amp a little underpowered to get the party started?

Thanks

S

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi , I would suggest you have a look at new Dali Zensor 1 ax powered speakers with bluetooth aptx built in analog , digital inputs , remote , sub out . I am thinking about auditioning Zensor 5ax floorstanders . Just add Bluesound node 2 generation or Sonos and sorted or just stream from tablet.... using Bluetooth .

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help.

I have looked into a couple of the speaker only setups and unfortunatley I can't really see this happening. availablity and price wise here in Hong Kong.

I am pretty much swinging towards:

NAD 3020 + Q Acoustics 3020's

Or the

NAD 3020 + Q Acoustics 2020i

Might just hold off to see if the What Hifi awards this year throw up anything different.

Anyone have the NAD or the Q's as above? Would love to hear you thoughts on them.

Thanks,

S

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I think that you can not go wrong with D3020. I had it for a few months now after switching from another NAD amp (C326BEE) and could not be happier. I am using it in a (roughly) 4x5m room with 89dB speakers and absolutely never ever had a situation when the power was insufficient. Moreover, it si probably the most musical amp I ever had.

There is a lab test explaining the power under different loads (link within the review) and it is really worth reading.

http://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/nad-d3020-integrated-amplifier-review-and-test-396060

Add to that very flexible connectivity options and I can not think about better value for money option.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
ivavcr said:
I think that you can not go wrong with D3020. I had it for a few months now after switching from another NAD amp (C326BEE) and could not be happier. I am using it in a (roughly) 4x5m room with 89dB speakers and absolutely never ever had a situation when the power was insufficient. Moreover, it si probably the most musical amp I ever had.

There is a lab test explaining the power under different loads (link within the review) and it is really worth reading.

http://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/nad-d3020-integrated-ampli...

Add to that very flexible connectivity options and I can not think about better value for money option.

Good to hear other people also enjoying the D3020. I think it is a cracking little amp. I don't listen at very loud levels, but even so it drives relatively insensitive 685 S2's very well. I found the quality only limited by the source material - the better the recording I throw at it the better it sounds!

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey there,

Yes it looks like the 3020 and the Q's are what I am going to get...

Seem to be able to get a good price in HK for them as well.

Thanks,

S

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts