Speaker advice for new set-up?

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I'm going through the excitement of setting up a brand new hi-fi system at the moment and I was wondering if you knowledgeable people could help me out choosing some speakers. Overview of what I've got so far:
Denon PMA520AE amp
Denon DCD520AE CD player
Project Debut III turntable (I've had this for about 6 or 7 years now and wish I could change/upgrade but It's not really something that is financially viable at the moment) - any budget tips on improvements that can be made would be much appreciated though.

Here's the kicker; I have some Q Acoustics 2020i's that arrived a couple of days ago and a Pixel T80 stand that is arriving on Monday but I'm 70% sure I won't be keeping the speakers. I underestimated just how chunky and deep the build of them actually is and with a small bedroom space to work with I just don't think they are going to be suitable. I'm going to set them up when the stands arrive and make my mind up but in the meantime here's the question: What should I replace them with if that is what I end up doing (and is likely i'll end up doing). I guess something around the same £169 price bracket (although I would go up to a maximum of around £300). The most important thing is something a little smaller and more compact but with performance and quality to match the 2020i's. I've been looking at the 2010i's which would certainly be better in terms of size, but is the difference in quality significant? Others I've been looking at include things like Mordaunt Short M10's/M20, Monitor Audio MR1, Cambridge Audio SX50, Dali Zensor 1, Boston Acoustics A-25.

If anybody has any thoughts on any I've mentioned or if you would reccommend any others I haven't mentioned please let me know. I want to get it right this time and not have to send another pair back.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cannot quite understand why you ordered the 2020i's if they are not going to fit in, however, all the speakers you list are going to be a backward step in sound quality from the 2020i's even if they may be a little less deep in cabinet size.

I would strongly urge you to attempt to fit them in to the room you have now.

If you still feel this is not going to work and you need a speaker that is narrower in depth then I suggest you try to audition the Wharfdale Diamond 121's or the Monitor Audio BX1's if you want to keep similar sound quality. (You will only be losing about 2.5cm in depth here).

fallfanmike

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I would really value some honest opinions and advice here.

I currently have a Denon DM38 with Mission MX1 speakers, mainly used for cd playing and Ipod playback. It's also connected to my Samsung TV for when better sound is required with films for example.

Having read the rave reviews regarding the Marantz products, PM6005 and CD6005 I have it in mind to potentially upgrade. (They are within my budget). The question is - with a circa £500 outlay, am I likely to notice a vast improvement in sound quality. Would the Mission MX1's be ok with this set up or would it be a decent idea to look at new speakers too?

I would be grateful for any advice - thank you.

I'm new to the forum and not the most computer savvy so if I've put this in the wrong place, apologies!

rainsoothe

Wharfedale Diamond 220 just got a rave review in WHF (not that it should be the ultimate criteria, but Wharfedale speakers are verry well regarded all over the place). Other options I would consider would be the Dali Zensor 1 and 3, Monitor Audio Bronze BX2, Boston Acoustics A25 and A26 and XTZ 93.23 mkII.

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Why don't You go to a hifi store and listen before you buy? You have listed quite a number of speakers. I can't tell you which sounds best with your kit. Have you searched the internet for comments of people who have the same kit? That might narrow things doen a bit.

rainsoothe

fallfanmike said:

I currently have a Denon DM38 with Mission MX1 speakers, mainly used for cd playing and Ipod playback. It's also connected to my Samsung TV for when better sound is required with films for example.

Having read the rave reviews regarding the Marantz products, PM6005 and CD6005 I have it in mind to potentially upgrade. (They are within my budget). The question is - with a circa £500 outlay, am I likely to notice a vast improvement in sound quality. Would the Mission MX1's be ok with this set up or would it be a decent idea to look at new speakers too?

I'm new to the forum and not the most computer savvy so if I've put this in the wrong place, apologies!

hey

Try creating a new topic, since what you need is pretty different from the subject of this topic. It's gonna be easier for people to respond. Also, try to give details about your room size, prefered music type and volume, what kind of sound you like (warm, bright, neutral etc) and what you feel is lacking with your system.

Now to answer your question - I haven't heard your Denon, and I like the PM6005 a lot, both soundwise and for the eyecandy factor, and I think they would be an improvement, but don't know if it's gonna be "vast". You should audition anyway, and let your ears decide. And probably pairing Dali Zensor 1 or 3 with the Marantz over the Missions would be a good idea (I haven't heard the Missions either btw, but I see the WHF review says they're pretty bright, and some people - not me - find Marantz bright at times). So, again, best thing is to audition.

fallfanmike

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for that.

I thought I had created a new topic - as I say i am dreadful with computers. I'll have another crack at it but thanks for the reply

fallfanmike said:

I do hope you are not implying mine wasn't.
regular_smile.gif

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I basically just misjudged the size of them. I didn't scrutinise the spec measurements enough or compare the depth to my current speakers. I'm going to set everything up on monday and then we'll see. I'd much prefer to keep them to if they aren't going to be overly imposing in my small room. But thank you for your other suggestions. I may post some photos when I have it all set up.

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Cannot quite understand why you ordered the 2020i's if they are not going to fit in, however, all the speakers you list are going to be a backward step in sound quality from the 2020i's even if they may be a little less deep in cabinet size.

I would strongly urge you to attempt to fit them in to the room you have now.

If you still feel this is not going to work and you need a speaker that is narrower in depth then I suggest you try to audition the Wharfdale Diamond 121's or the Monitor Audio BX1's if you want to keep similar sound quality. (You will only be losing about 2.5cm in depth here).

They both seem like good speakers, but like you say, I'm not really loosing much depth from them, or at least probably not enough to warrant sending the QA's back and replacing them. If I do decide to replace the 2020i's it would be with something that has a slightly more significant reduction in depth. The height and diameter is actually fine. What do you think of the 2010i's? Would It be a pretty big step backwards?

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
fallfanmike said:

I do hope you are not implying mine wasn't.

Not at all! This wasn't me! My thread was hijacked by somebody else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts