Are you happy with your system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

AntAxon said:
To be honest though I'm so happy with the DM10s I find it hard to believe I could do much better. I thought my new Sennheiser HD660s would blow my AVI DM10s away but although great headphones and very detailed I would rate them on par with each other.

I don't really believe all the hype about fancy interconnects, speaker cables power supplies/cables,. They may make a very slight difference but nothing worth spending a lot of money on.

I find the limiting factor to my enjoyment of music is how good the recordings are and the limitations of ones hearing. Everyones hearing is different hence the many differing opinions expressed here on this forum. It makes life more interesting if not we would all have the same systems. There really is no substitute for going out and listening for yourself.

The only thing I may upgrade is the cartridge on my Project 2Xperience SB DC. I'm just a bit nervous about fitting a new one!

My HD650's, though very good, are no match for my little PMC's. Ditto regarding your comments about cables, and recordings/hearing.

Whereabouts are you in the UK Ant? I'm in Essex and would have no problem assisting you with a cartridge change if you live close enough.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
anything soon, as native_bon says I think we focus too much on poorly recorded/mastered material then upgrade things to try and make it sound better instead of looking at how good our systems can sound with a really good source. I know it's frustrating and it pees us off but it's not the system's fault and a lot of money has been and will continue to be spent in pursuit of audio heaven to not much avail. My opinion is that if you have some good source material and your system sounds wonderful, and you can clearly tell the difference between good and poor source, then stop. Accept that poor source is what it is and keep your wallet in your pocket. I had a flight of fancy with Nord amps but I've thought about it and not going there, I just hate the warm-up time of valves but my wallet has cooled down considerably. None of this will stop me drooling over what's out there though ;)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
So once you are happy with your system avoid companies that use terms like 'reference master clock' to describe components they sell.
And maybe stay off hifi forum and magazines.

Sliced Bread

I'm 95% satisfied with my system for movies, but not really for music.

On the movie side I'm curious about adding atmos speakers and *maybe* a better sub, but for music I think I need something very different all round.

Sliced Bread

gasolin said:
Speaker's are mission LX-2 the only speaker on avforums that got a 10 out of 10 for sound quality

Missions new GX-2 is gettng good write ups too.

It's great to see Mission returning to form. I used to love my Mission 782's back in the day. Great speakers, though they were a ****** to position :)

gasolin

Sliced Bread said:
gasolin said:
Speaker's are mission LX-2 the only speaker on avforums that got a 10 out of 10 for sound quality

It's great to see Mission returning to form. I used to love my Mission 782's back in the day. Great speakers, though they were a ****** to position :)

Mission QX2 they look alot better than the LX-2

http://www.mission.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Mission-QX-2-Hi-Fi-choice-group-test-winner.pdf

HI-FI Choice also reviewed Mission LX-2 and it was also the group winner http://www.mission.co.uk/lx-series/lx-2/

When the QX2's sound better than the LX-2 i wonder if they sound better than then Q Acoustoics concept 20 since i do feel LX-2 sound better than the Q Acoustics 3020

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:
Sliced Bread said:
gasolin said:

http://www.mission.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Mission-QX-2-Hi-Fi-choice-group-test-winner.pdf

HI-FI Choice also reviewed Mission LX-2 and it was also the group winner http://www.mission.co.uk/lx-series/lx-2/

When the QX2's sound better than the LX-2 i wonder if they sound better than then Q Acoustoics concept 20 since i do feel LX-2 sound better than the Q Acoustics 3020

The Dynaudio Special Forty get 10 for sound and 10 overall, I would not have them in my house, look awful.

Q Acoustics Concept 500 also get 10/10 for sound.
Q Acoustics Concept 500

Sliced Bread

gasolin said:
Sliced Bread said:
gasolin said:

Yes very possibly.

Going back about 10 years or so and Mission were among the best budget to mid-priced brands going. It all went downhil for them when they were sold to IAG though.
I can only imagine there was a restructure at that point as the direction of the speakers changed and it's only now they seem to be getting their groove back on.

I mean, just look at these gorgeous speakers. They were 3 way, sounded awesome, built with style and all for £750. Good luck getting that today:
782.jpg

gasolin

BigH said:
gasolin said:
Sliced Bread said:
gasolin said:

The Dynaudio Special Forty get 10 for sound and 10 overall, I would not have them in my house, look awful.

Q Acoustics Concept 500 also get 10/10 for sound.
Q Acoustics Concept 500

Didn't so them, dynaudio is a fairly new review

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Why do you keep looking? If you are going to upgrade may as well make a large improvement. My advise is save up and get something much better than swap budget stuff around and buying cables. How about getting some AE1s?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Gray said:
BigH said:
Mission have used the Inverted Driver Geometry for about 30 years, its nothing new. Yes Mission were good years ago I had a pair of 780SEs.

I had the little Mission 700's. (I've still got their tweeters and crossovers, don't ask why)
...and I had some Mission 710s (with the White Bass Driver). They were a fun listen, but had a sound of their own, which made Piano sound a bit "tinkly" like it does in Westerns.

I traded in some Keesonic Kubs for them, which was probably a mistake. After them came Celestion SL6 and MA R852MD (both of which I still have).

gasolin

I i had some money for upgrading i wouldn't know what to upgrade

Upgrading speakers would cost alot to get something better and what i already have sounds good, there for it's not just changing speakers because they can make the biggest difference

Im not thinking of something like £1000........ less than half of it, changing speaker i would properly mostly get more bass or sensitivity

The Mission QX2 are beating dali,dynaudio and klipsch and they seem to be one that might kick the Q Acoustics concept 20 from it's throne in there price range £400, i wouldn't mind a Q Acoustics concept 20 against Misson QX2

I do like my Q Acouscist 2010i but i think Mission LX-2 are better than the Q Acoustics.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:
I i had some money for upgrading i wouldn't know what to upgrade

Upgrading speakers would cost alot to get something better and what i already have sounds good, there for it's not just changing speakers because they can make the biggest difference

Im not thinking of something like £1000........ less than half of it, changing speaker i would properly mostly get more bass or sensitivity

The Mission QX2 are beating dali,dynaudio and klipsch and they seem to be one that might kick the Q Acoustics concept 20 from it's throne in there price range £400, i wouldn't mind a Q Acoustics concept 20 against Misson QX2

I do like my Q Acouscist 2010i but i think Mission LX-2 are better than the Q Acoustics.

The AE1s are active so kills 2 birds with 1 stone. Buying £500 speakers may not give you a big upgrade I agree, I heard a few around that price range and I soon upped my budget. If you have a Turntable I would probably upgrade the cartridge first and maybe do a few tweeks, such as better drive belt, mat etc. I don't rate Rega carts with my limited experience.

My point is save then buy a big upgrade then enjoy for many years, then repeat.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
AntAxon said:
Although I was intrigued by the new AVI DM12s and did consider upgrading but when I thought about it they had upgraded the tweeters used a bigger cabinet and added an better DAC and tone controls.

I have DM10s with a subwoofer I figured that the subwoofer negated the need for the bigger cabinets. Also I have a Marantz pm8005 and SA8005 so use the SA DAC and the PM preamp and connect to the Analogue inputs of the DM10s so if I need to I can use the PM tone controls to adjust the the treble. The thing the DM12s have which I can't equal is the Satori tweeters.

To be honest though I'm so happy with the DM10s I find it hard to believe I could do much better. I thought my new Sennheiser HD660s would blow my AVI DM10s away but although great headphones and very detailed I would rate them on par with each other.

I don't really believe all the hype about fancy interconnects, speaker cables power supplies/cables,. They may make a very slight difference but nothing worth spending a lot of money on.

I find the limiting factor to my enjoyment of music is how good the recordings are and the limitations of ones hearing. Everyones hearing is different hence the many differing opinions expressed here on this forum. It makes life more interesting if not we would all have the same systems. There really is no substitute for going out and listening for yourself.

The only thing I may upgrade is the cartridge on my Project 2Xperience SB DC. I'm just a bit nervous about fitting a new one!

Upgrade to the new satori tweeters? A few have done this

I did consider upgrading to the Satori tweeters but my DM10s are still under guarantee and I do not want to invalidate it. Also I if it was a straight swap I would have a go but I don't think I could adapt the speaker cabinet without damaging it.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
[/quote}

Whereabouts are you in the UK Ant? I'm in Essex and would have no problem assisting you with a cartridge change if you live close enough.

[/quote]

That is very kind of you to offer. I'm in Broadstairs Kent so not a million miles away. Unfortunately I'm all spent up after buying the headphones so it will be a while before I upgrade the cartridge. Mind you I'm looking to going back to work if I can find a job so you never know.

If you are ever in this part of the world and fancy a day at the seaside a cup of tea etc and a demo of my system let me know though.

D

Deleted member 108165

AntAxon said:
I'm in Broadstairs Kent so not a million miles away. Unfortunately I'm all spent up after buying the headphones so it will be a while before I upgrade the cartridge. Mind you I'm looking to going back to work if I can find a job so you never know.

If you are ever in this part of the world and fancy a day at the seaside a cup of tea etc and a demo of my system let me know though.

Very kind of you too Ant, thank you. It's good to get together occasionally so you never know... I'll travel miles for nice cuppa *smile* I've been to Gray's house in Southend, another nice chap who makes a decent cuppa. He's due to come and criticize my system sometime later this year *biggrin* We are all about the same age 59/60. Good luck with the job hunt.

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
The point I am making is that in the world of seperates there is always a possibility of improvement. Like in my case Ive spent what for me is a large amount in the last year upgrading every component. The Cambridge CXN, CXA80 and CXC, there is probably something better out there for the money but I like the sound, love the looks, build quality and functionality. There is also something about having boxes that seem to belong together and of course you would expect them to be compatible. But those MA silver 6s! Could I have done better? I like them to but the fact that there is 50 or so alternative choices out there means its easy to be unsatisfied or just plain curious! The turntable I bought I like also. But the fact that I can change (you note I don't say upgrade) the cartridge, phono stage, interconnect cable means I'm still on shifting sand. So yes you can be perfectly happy with your system but what about..................?

The grass is always greener? There's a hell of a lot of grass out there!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
johnnyboy1950 said:
The point I am making is that in the world of seperates there is always a possibility of improvement. Like in my case Ive spent what for me is a large amount in the last year upgrading every component. The Cambridge CXN, CXA80 and CXC, there is probably something better out there for the money but I like the sound, love the looks, build quality and functionality. There is also something about having boxes that seem to belong together and of course you would expect them to be compatible. But those MA silver 6s! Could I have done better? I like them to but the fact that there is 50 or so alternative choices out there means its easy to be unsatisfied or just plain curious! The turntable I bought I like also. But the fact that I can change (you note I don't say upgrade) the cartridge, phono stage, interconnect cable means I'm still on shifting sand. So yes you can be perfectly happy with your system but what about..................?

+1 :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
newlash09 said:
johnnyboy1950 said:
The point I am making is that in the world of seperates there is always a possibility of improvement. Like in my case Ive spent what for me is a large amount in the last year upgrading every component. The Cambridge CXN, CXA80 and CXC, there is probably something better out there for the money but I like the sound, love the looks, build quality and functionality. There is also something about having boxes that seem to belong together and of course you would expect them to be compatible. But those MA silver 6s! Could I have done better? I like them to but the fact that there is 50 or so alternative choices out there means its easy to be unsatisfied or just plain curious! The turntable I bought I like also. But the fact that I can change (you note I don't say upgrade) the cartridge, phono stage, interconnect cable means I'm still on shifting sand. So yes you can be perfectly happy with your system but what about..................?

The answer is to buy the best turf you can afford straight away, then all other grass seems a little brown in comparison. *smile*

Sliced Bread

Electro said:
newlash09 said:
johnnyboy1950 said:

The answer is to buy the best turf you can afford straight away, then all other grass seems a little brown in comparison. *smile*

+2 on curiosity.

I've made my system worst in the past with this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts