Are films getting worse?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Okay after the original post I've taken the time out to try and find the other bad films I have watched recently. I've hunted down 3 more of them:

Taken: father hunts down the kidnappers of his daughter....you can guess what happens next
emotion-20.gif

Last house on the left: Similar to above, kidnapped kid and angry parents!

Ted Bundy: The latest movie on this lunatic (cant remember the exact title) There was a similar and better one on him in 2002.

That makes it 11-4 (in my opinion anyway
emotion-5.gif
) A few of you mentioned I should have known these films would be bad but at the moment theres half of the top of the charts there. Taking this lot away would have meant there was nothing to watch. In hindsight this may have been a better outcome actually!
emotion-40.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thought Taken was okay actually. Okay, not going to win any brain stretching awards, but fun enough action flick. Mind you, I thought Watchmen was one of the best films of the year...

Suggest you give the following a try: Doubt, Slumdog Millionaire, State of Play, Son of Rambow, No Country for Old Men, In the Valley of Elah, Eastern Promises and of course Star Trek - all recent films I've seen and highly rated. There's also Moon which I've heard a lot of good about but not seen as yet.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Daveee:

Okay after the original post I've taken the time out to try and find the other bad films I have watched recently. I've hunted down 3 more of them:

Taken: father hunts down the kidnappers of his daughter....you can guess what happens next
emotion-20.gif

Last house on the left: Similar to above, kidnapped kid and angry parents!

Ted Bundy: The latest movie on this lunatic (cant remember the exact title) There was a similar and better one on him in 2002.

That makes it 11-4 (in my opinion anyway
emotion-5.gif
) A few of you mentioned I should have known these films would be bad but at the moment theres half of the top of the charts there. Taking this lot away would have meant there was nothing to watch. In hindsight this may have been a better outcome actually!
emotion-40.gif

I suggest you listen to Mark Kermode's film review on 5 Live. He was particularly scathing about Taken and I avoided it like the plague.

A

Anonymous

I can't imagine why you thought crank 2 was worth watching if crank didn't impress you... I thought it was great

Taken I didn't think was that bad, it's of a genre that rarely impresses film critics whether it's well done or total dirge so what they say is largely irrelevant.

Wanted was a disappointment, and thats coming from someone normally happy enough to sit through 90 minutes of glossy spoon fed hollywood action. Totally predictable and generic.

One of the best films I've seen recently was Death Sentence. Very powerful, dunno what the critics said but for me it transcends the "typical revenge thriller" type genre I expected it to be.

I'm never usually in any great hurry to see the absolute lastest film's though so can't comment on most titles

A

Anonymous

I have to agree with most of what has been said, and suggest that reading film reviews might be a good idea, but wouldn't recommend you listen to a word Jonothan Ross has to say on his atrociously self serving Film 2009 programme. He doesn't have clue !!! The Sunday Times supplement is generally good. And as for films to look out for, as mentioned I would check out Moon, Public Enemies, Monsters V Aliens (pixar picures) as well as some of the new releases inc. Terminator Salvation. There's plenty of good or at least reasonable films out there but plenty of dross too, just be more choosie !! I would also check out Lake Calm, a small low budget film that scared the bejeesus out of me and stuck in my head for days after...always the sign of a good movie for me anyway...good luck !

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:

Thought Taken was okay actually. Okay, not going to win any brain stretching awards, but fun enough action flick. Mind you, I thought Watchmen was one of the best films of the year...

Suggest you give the following a try: Doubt, Slumdog Millionaire, State of Play, Son of Rambow, No Country for Old Men, In the Valley of Elah, Eastern Promises and of course Star Trek - all recent films I've seen and highly rated. There's also Moon which I've heard a lot of good about but not seen as yet.

Thought Slumdog Millionaire was awful, give up after half an hour. Still each to their own.

Bought No Country for Old Men on one of your earlier recommendations and thought it was brilliant.

A

Anonymous

Ahh, please-picky picky picky !!!! You and Andy need to lighten up a little....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ricardo65:Ahh, please-picky picky picky !!!! You and Andy need to lighten up a little....

Sorry but if you're going to accuse someone of not having a clue you'd better make sure YOU get the easy facts right!

A

Anonymous

Sorry but if you're going to accuse someone of not having a clue you'd better make sure YOU get the easy facts right!

I do apologise for the terrable confusion caused but don't profess to be a film critic or try to make a profession out of it...anyway, having thought more about film releases, I would definately consur with No Country For Old Men being a great film and a possible future classic actually, along with There Will Be Blood. Any of the recent animated films (Dreamworks or Pixar !!) are always great light entertainment and fantastic sound & picture testers. Anyway, get out there and enjoy...Moon is my most recent favourite I have to say but some may find it a tad slow...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
laserman16:professorhat:

Thought Slumdog Millionaire was awful, give up after half an hour. Still each to their own.

Bought No Country for Old Men on one of your earlier recommendations and thought it was brilliant.

I have to agree with you. Slumdog, ripped off City of God's humour and had none of it's authenticity.

A

Anonymous

most films of late are all about special effects , they all seem rushed , frantic , trying to create excitment , might look good on bluray , but no real substance to many of them ..

take "no country" pure class , nice slow introduction to the characters , the atmosphere growing as the story unfolds , you get to understand where the main players are coming from , how they see the world around them , what makes them tick , the tension building all the time without any need for over the top , unrealistic action scenes , thats what i call a good movie , blood diamond , the departed , there will be blood , top movies for me ... crank 2 , transformers , etc etc ?? kiddies films ...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I agree with you in a sense and certainly I agree with you on Blood Diamond, The Departed and There Will Be Blood being top movies (There Will Be Blood being a contender for fave movie of all time).

On the other hand though, there are times when I just want to watch eye candy with very little brain activity required, just pure fun. The likes of Transformers serve this need well and it earns a place in my collection for that reason (along with The Day After Tomorrow believe it or not - dreadful plot, but it's just great fun!).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ricardo65:Sorry but if you're going to accuse someone of not having a clue you'd better make sure YOU get the easy facts right!

I do apologise for the terrable confusion caused but don't profess to be a film critic or try to make a profession out of it

Perhaps, not but you are claiming to be a film critic critic

Any of the recent animated films (Dreamworks or Pixar !!) are always great light entertainment

Well now, this is exactly why I made the point, I don't think you can compare Dreamworks with Pixar at all, Dreamworks make light entertainment with flimsy two dimensional characters and rubbish plots, Pixar make seriously good films, I'd rate Wall-E as one of the top ten best films I've ever seen, on every level, Toy Story is a classic, Monsters Inc is a classic, The Incredibles is different class for me, (don't get me wrong, Cars was rubbish), no Dreamworks picture has come anywhere near those (anyone who says Shrek will be beaten) in terms of quality (although I haven't seen Monsters Vs Aliens, to be fair).

So you see, when you credit a Dreamworks film to Pixar, I think you're doing Pixar a serious disservice; I'd be offended, if I worked for Pixar.

There's a reason why Disney have put John Lasseter in charge, it's to remind Disney how to make decent films again.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:I'd rate Wall-E as one of the top ten best films I've ever seen, on every level, Toy Story is a classic, Monsters Inc is a classic, The Incredibles is different class for me

I thought Wall E was incredibly boring. I recognise that technically it is superb, but in terms of the story and characters I found it very, very poor by comparison to the other films you mentioned and other animated films I've seen. I get the "important message" it carries, but as entertainment, I thought it was utter rubbish. Technical aspects aside, I think that it was praised so highly because it raises concerns over the environment, health and the power invested in large corporations, and comes from a surprising source, ie a large corporation (or at least part of one).

I just can't understand how the vast majority of people like it and praise it so highly. I can't believe it could make anybody's top ten. Why? However, I do realise I'm in a very, very small minority here.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
hmtb:I just can't understand how the vast majority of people like it and praise it so highly. I can't believe it could make anybody's top ten. Why? However, I do realise I'm in a very, very small minority here.

I liked it a lot - I'm the opposite in not being able to understand those who found it boring - it's got some magical and incredibly heart warming moments.

A

Anonymous

That's precisely what it lacked in my opinion, magical and incredibly heart warming moments. That's what I expected from the film, and from most animated films, and which I thought Wall E lacked. On paper, the story does sound it, but I just didn't feel it in the film. The absence of much dialogue also affected my dislike for the film.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hmtb:
the_lhc:I'd rate Wall-E as one of the top ten best films I've ever seen, on every level, Toy Story is a classic, Monsters Inc is a classic, The Incredibles is different class for me

I thought Wall E was incredibly boring. I recognise that technically it is superb, but in terms of the story and characters I found it very, very poor by comparison to the other films you mentioned and other animated films I've seen. I get the "important message" it carries, but as entertainment, I thought it was utter rubbish. Technical aspects aside, I think that it was praised so highly because it raises concerns over the environment, health and the power invested in large corporations, and comes from a surprising source, ie a large corporation (or at least part of one).

I just can't understand how the vast majority of people like it and praise it so highly. I can't believe it could make anybody's top ten. Why? However, I do realise I'm in a very, very small minority here.

Wall-e has a superb story - very thought provoking. If Kubrick had made an animated film, he would have been proud of it being Wall-e.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
hmtb:That's precisely what it lacked in my opinion, magical and incredibly heart warming moments.

You mean when Wall-E sits close to a deactivated Eve, sadly holding an umbrella over her to keep her out of the rain, you felt nothing?! You heartless fiend!

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
I agree with you in a sense and certainly I agree with you on Blood Diamond, The Departed and There Will Be Blood being top movies (There Will Be Blood being a contender for fave movie of all time).

On the other hand though, there are times when I just want to watch eye candy with very little brain activity required, just pure fun. The likes of Transformers serve this need well and it earns a place in my collection for that reason (along with The Day After Tomorrow believe it or not - dreadful plot, but it's just great fun!).

fair point prof , i find when i have a hangover , watching the likes of , independance day , the day after tmw , and ordering a lunchtime pizza does just fine ..thats if their on tv of course , as i dont own either
emotion-10.gif

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:ricardo65:Sorry but if you're going to accuse someone of not having a clue you'd better make sure YOU get the easy facts right!

I do apologise for the terrable confusion caused but don't profess to be a film critic or try to make a profession out of it

Any of the recent animated films (Dreamworks or Pixar !!) are always great light entertainment

Well now, this is exactly why I made the point, I don't think you can compare Dreamworks with Pixar at all, Dreamworks make light entertainment with flimsy two dimensional characters and rubbish plots, Pixar make seriously good films, I'd rate Wall-E as one of the top ten best films I've ever seen, on every level, Toy Story is a classic, Monsters Inc is a classic, The Incredibles is different class for me, (don't get me wrong, Cars was rubbish), no Dreamworks picture has come anywhere near those (anyone who says Shrek will be beaten) in terms of quality (although I haven't seen Monsters Vs Aliens, to be fair).

So you see, when you credit a Dreamworks film to Pixar, I think you're doing Pixar a serious disservice; I'd be offended, if I worked for Pixar.

There's a reason why Disney have put John Lasseter in charge, it's to remind Disney how to make decent films again.

So right, all of Pixar's stuff is technically brilliant, you can see why Disney got involved with them.

I must get round to watching The Incredibles , been sat on the shelf for ages now.

Cars for me was the worst but still watchable.

John Duncan

laserman16:
I must get round to watching The Incredibles , been sat on the shelf for ages now.

Whereas for me, the Incredibles is the best of the lot...

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
laserman16:the_lhc:ricardo65:Sorry but if you're going to accuse someone of not having a clue you'd better make sure YOU get the easy facts right!

So right, all of Pixar's stuff is technically brilliant, you can see why Disney got involved with them.

I personally love all the Pixar films. Maybe it's just the petrol-head in me but Cars is actually the one that gets picked up off the shelf the most often in my house. (And probably will get played even more frequently when my little boy gets big enough to pay attention!) I'll admit that it doesn't have a deep an emotional story as the likes of Wall-E, Monsters Inc., and Finding Nemo (for heart-warming story look no further!) but it's still a good film that sends out good messages. Although I can see that it may lack some appeal here as it is definitely the most "American" of all the Pixar stories and it's conceivable that that makes it a little more difficult to connect to.

jabirugpa

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Isn't the point of all this that we all like different stuff - and a good job too.

I watched Star Trek on the Big Screen when it first came out in the States and thought it so full of standard American clich‚s that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. As for WallE, I didn't even sit all through it.

On the other hand, I thought Taken was very enjoyable.

I have to agree though, for a fun film on many levels, Shrek takes a lot of beating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts