Arcam FMJ A19 with MA RX 6

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dan25 said:
Thanx for sugestions! I also asked dealer if cables can improve sound and he told me that they are using 35 eur/m naim cables with good results. I need 3 m cable. The current cables I am using does not have banana plugs. Thay are inserted in the screw holes of the amp and speakers. Are this plugs important? Concerning sound, which characteristics are improved by changing cables?

This again is dependant on who you ask.....ie. They make no difference; to subtly influencing every aspect of the sound.

Brands of cable I recommend are Linn, Atlas, Telurium Q, Vetere, Cardas and Van Damme.

IME. The plugs are for convenience.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
PP my speakers are 50 cm away from the back wall. I don't think this is the reason. I read about bass traps by my wife would kill me :) if I wll mount something on the walls.

I've had banana plugs fitted to the amp only. This purely done because when I moved the amp to clean the shelves the bare wires used to short out.

IMHO, the only difference in changing cables is a slight tonal change. Silver wires tend exaggerate any perceived brightness in the set-up. But the difference is only minor.

dan25 said:
PP my speakers are 50 cm away from the back wall. I don't think this is the reason. I read about bass traps by my wife would kill me :) if I wll mount something on the walls.

Perhaps try a couple of rugs, or moving the sofa around.

There could be another reason, although I don't want to say until you've experimented a little.

My living room has thick carpets throughout, chunky curtains, a bookcase and soft furnishings. They all tend to absorb any extreme nasties.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Amp is underpowered? This may be also but it's the last thing I am thinking of. I use 6 sqm thick rug but the sofa is L shape and is not simetrical positioned... I will try to change it's position but of course when my wife is out shopping :). Till now I've listen mostly to my denon fm tuner TU 260 L II. Since I use currently a wire as antena for the tuner and maybe the stations quality is not so good (comparing to cds) this may be also a reason. I still need to investigate! I will try this week some flacs via dac.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Tried to fiddle all day with furniture. No massive improvement. I found one position of the speakers with beter results but one of them is in front of balcony door. Arcam 19 is a fairly neutral amp. This means that the bass notes are left in the back and I am trying the imposible? I am considering here the bass quitness not bommyness. Or do you think that the bass notes will get louder and clearer after burn in time of 100 h?

dan25 said:
Tried to fiddle all day with furniture. No massive improvement. I found one position of the speakers with beter results but one of them is in front of balcony door. Arcam 19 is a fairly neutral amp. This means that the bass notes are left in the back and I am trying the imposible? I am considering here the bass quitness not bommyness. Or do you think that the bass notes will get louder and clearer after burn in time of 100 h?

generally speaking, and based on my own experience of the A65+ (prior to the RS6s), it was the treble that sounded a little up front. That smoothed as time wore on.

Think you have to understand that Arcams, like any other entry-level amp, will have its limits. What gave me better results over the Arcam bass-wise was the Creek Evo2. It had more punch but retained the tonal presence and subtlety of the Arcam.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
That's the answer I was looking. Now I know that I don't have to waste time doing nothing. I read a lot of reviews that Arcam A19 delivered a powerfull tight bass. But all tests were done with small speakers (stsndmounts). Ma rx6 I know they need powerfull amps to show their best. Thank you for all your support. Next years when arcam a39 will start discounting I will update. I am overall pleased with my setup and currently no urge for update.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
dan25 said:
That's the answer I was looking. Now I know that I don't have to waste time doing nothing. I read a lot of reviews that Arcam A19 delivered a powerfull tight bass. But all tests were done with small speakers (stsndmounts). Ma rx6 I know they need powerfull amps to show their best. Thank you for all your support. Next years when arcam a39 will start discounting I will update. I am overall pleased with my setup and currently no urge for update.

What's your real issue then? Boominess or lack of extension? These are often related, anyways.

In my experience, the A19 does produce well-defined bass—at least when paired with the Kef R100. More so than the Naim XS-2 I upgraded from. I also compared the A19 at home with the Creek Evolution 2 that PP mentioned, and while the sound presentation differed in some aspects, in terms of bass I found it was mostly similar—I still preferred the Arcam, though. I compared it to the A38, too, and currently use the P38 for amplification, and I think that bass with the A19 is even marginally tighter, although I clearly prefer the sound of the A38/P38 overall.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
My problem is that the bass notes in some songs are not clearly separated. I hear only a wooooo in the background. And when the notes are there they seem a little shy. Of course here ma rx6 speakers may come into equation. As I ve already mentioned I used mostly the fm tuner for these tests. Today I've managed to get some flacs and the next days I will try to do some more tests with my setup. PP mentioned that his Arcam A65 improved after the burin in period only the trebble. What's your experience with arcam a19 after the burn in period? What hi fi mentioned that it needs some time to show it's strengths. Have you observed an improvement concerning bass? How are you using the P38 in your setup?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Also, what cables are you using? Speaker cables that are too thin for their length may also result in poor control over low frequencies as the higher resistance reduces the damping factor that the amp exercises over the speakers.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
dan25 said:
My problem is that the bass notes in some songs are not clearly separated. I hear only a wooooo in the background. And when the notes are there they seem a little shy. Of course here ma rx6 speakers may come into equation. As I ve already mentioned I used mostly the fm tuner for these tests. Today I've managed to get some flacs and the next days I will try to do some more tests with my setup. PP mentioned that his Arcam A65 improved after the burin in period only the trebble. What's your experience with arcam a19 after the burn in period? What hi fi mentioned that it needs some time to show it's strengths. Have you observed an improvement concerning bass? How are you using the P38 in your setup?

The thing is that the way you describe it, to me it sounds like it could be a problem with reflections in your room, or rolling bass due to lack of control from the amp. If it's the former, it would also account for some dips in low frequencies—some frequencies would be boosted while others would be cancelled out depending on whether waves meet in phase or in inverted phase.

I would keep on trying with the placement of the speakers and other things around. Mine are 80 cm from the back walls. While figuring out how to get the best sound of them, I also found out that covering a glass table in the living room with a tablecloth resulted in improved sound—in my case it affected the soundstage, but I suppose that the effect could have been any other depending on the room. Adding a carpet and having the spikes on the stands go through the carpet and touch the floor, also improved the bass—much to my chagrin, as it's leaving some marks on the floor and I will have to pay for that when I leave this place; this hobby is not cheap.

You could also try a room correction solution. There are software solutions that offer a trial period, so you can try them and find out whether the issues you perceive correspond with what the room correction solution shows you about the room. I tried the DSpeaker 2.0 Dual Core and would recommend it in cases of bad room acoustic issues.

I bought the A19 new, and noticed the bass improvement from the moment I plugged it. I can't remember any sort of breaking in, although I have the impression that the sound becomes a tad clearer around 20 minutes playing when turning the amp on from cold. Because of this, I changed the stand-by timeout and usually leave the amp on.

Now I'm using the P38 straight from the preamp output of the A19, not bi-amping. I've been for some time now evaluating digital preamps to replace the irDac/A19, as all my sources are digital.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I've discovered few minutes ago that my amp has a background noise when left in standby mode. Is this normal? All sources are switched off. I can hear it only if I am close to the amp. Concerning speakers cables I am using hama 4 mm thick cables 1.5 m each. The cables are to thick and it took me some time to put them in the screw holes. Concerning the other suggestions I will try them during my Christmas vacation when I will have more time. Currently my 3 year old son is keeping me busy all evenings when I am back from work. Could you please check also if your amp has the same noise in standby mode?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
dan25 said:
I've discovered few minutes ago that my amp has a background noise when left in standby mode. Is this normal? All sources are switched off. I can hear it only if I am close to the amp. Concerning speakers cables I am using hama 4 mm thick cables 1.5 m each. The cables are to thick and it took me some time to put them in the screw holes. Concerning the other suggestions I will try them during my Christmas vacation when I will have more time. Currently my 3 year old son is keeping me busy all evenings when I am back from work. Could you please check also if your amp has the same noise in standby mode?

I can't say I've ever heard any hum from the amplifier. There is the slightest buzz if I put my ear on it when it's on, but that's all.

Do you only hear it when it goes on standby by itself?

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I suppose the buzz is from the transformer. I am asking if it is normal this sound in an amplifier.

Concerning cables is there a minimum length that must be used? 2.5 mm cables thickness should be ok? I am not pleased that I had to force the cables to enter the screw holes in the speaker and amp.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
These things have big power supplies. I don't know if the mains may also cause noise in the amplifier. But if you can't hear the hum when you are 20 cm away, I wouldn't worry about it.

Otherwise, I'd try plugging it in other places to see of the hum is still there. Or check with your dealer.

Incidentally, I'd suggest you register the amp to benefit from the 5-year warranty.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
You said that you hear a slight buzz if you put the ear on the amp when it's on. Do you hear it slso in standby? This buzz is hum or hum is different. I have to admit that I am not very familiar with this hum term. As far ad I know hum it's a buzz inside the amp. Could you please reply also my upper post concerning stereo cables where I 've posted the size and thickness?

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I've tried three plugs and the buzz it's still there. As I read on reviews this amp should have absolutley no hum and no buzz. I will contact the vendor tomorrow but I am affraid that thay will tell me that it's normal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts