Question Replacement for 30yo Creek 4140s2

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
First post, so go gently please...

My much-loved old Creek 4140s2 is once again causing me problems - the left (upper) speaker posts are starting to lose signal intermittently. I've had this fixed a couple of times, and hoping if I just give it a good clean it will sort itself out again, but I'm starting to think it may be time to replace it with a new amp.

I originally auditioned it in 1989, comparing it with the 4040 and an Arcam Alpha - picked the 4140 because I felt it had greater clarity and depth to the sound, and I liked the simple design, no tone control.
I've got a somewhat mixed system of old and new - sources are a ca. 8yo Pro-ject Debut III turntable, feeding through a Cambridge Audio 551P phono stage (an improvement on the Creek phono), and a Mission PCMII CD player from 1990, with the coaxial output fed through an Arcam irDAC (again an improvement in resolution) - the DAC also handles inputs from my laptop, iPhone and TV.
Speakers are even older and much loved Spendor SA2s I bought years ago second hand from a friend - they're almost like a musical instrument in their own right, not exactly 'neutral' sounding!

I would say I like a rich midrange and warm sounding system, but I'm not sure my choices bear that out - the phono stage for example certainly gives me a more open and detailed sound than the Creek alone. So I think getting more detail and a wide soundstage would be a priority, especially for denser stuff like some Mogwai recordings, whilst maintaining richness and warmth on some of the quieter or sparser stuff I listen to. Musical tastes are wide ranging, just been listening to Coltrane, Alt-J, Mogwai, Radiohead and Red House Painters today...

I don't need digital inputs (happy with the irDAC), balanced inputs or a headphone socket. Budget up to £1k or so if it's going to give me a genuine sonic upgrade, but happy to spend less. Can't audition now for obvious reasons, but thinking about three possible options:
Musical Fidelity M2si - cheapest but might be best match?
Audiolab 8300A - seems to generate mixed opinions on these forums
Rega Elex-R - maybe too analytical for me - or maybe just what I need with my warm and woody speakers?

Any suggestions much appreciated, including those who think I'm better off keeping the Creek going!

Dom

Musical Fidelity M2si
M3i_PCB_large.jpg

Audiolab 8300A
4120_audiolab_8300a_internal_1__1_2.jpg

Rega Elex-R
8_815e10d0-8cf9-49d6-8c72-13dd3c30cc3f.jpg

Looking at the internals, I would go for the Rega Elex-R.

Reactions: myrrhman

Gray

Creek amps seem to have a good reputation and you like yours.
Doesn't sound like there's much wrong with it.
Why not whip the top off and have a look at those upper 4mm sockets.
If they're mounted on a vertical PCB, could just be dry joints that need resoldering.
If you do like a warm sound, then you might want to stick with your speakers.
I owned the Prelude, the poor-man's version of the SA2 for years - which used the identical drivers in a cheaper cabinet.....I only realised just how mellow their sound was after replacing them.

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Musical Fidelity M2si
M3i_PCB_large.jpg

Audiolab 8300A
4120_audiolab_8300a_internal_1__1_2.jpg

Rega Elex-R
8_815e10d0-8cf9-49d6-8c72-13dd3c30cc3f.jpg

Looking at the internals, I would go for the Rega Elex-R.
I've got next to no knowledge of electronics, is it because the various components of the Elex-R's circuitry have better separation, and less potential for interference? Or the quality of components?
One thing I can't spot on the Elex-R is a heat sink, is that because it is either not needed, or hidden at either side of the casing?

Creek amps seem to have a good reputation and you like yours.
Doesn't sound like there's much wrong with it.
Why not whip the top off and have a look at those upper 4mm sockets.
If they're mounted on a vertical PCB, could just be dry joints that need resoldering.
If you do like a warm sound, then you might want to stick with your speakers.
I owned the Prelude, the poor-man's version of the SA2 for years - which used the identical drivers in a cheaper cabinet.....I only realised just how mellow their sound was after replacing them.
I've been inside before the last time this happened...they are indeed mounted on vertical posts, and I assumed that was the most likely problem. Letting me loose with a soldering iron on sensitive electronics is always going to end badly though, so I shipped it off to a repairer (can't remember who, but advertised Creek repairs and based in Lancashire). The volume control knob also needed fixing, and I'd lost the little screw.
They told me it all just needed a good clean - not surprising, as I still have an open fire in the room and it is a constant battle with dust. That was about 5 years ago, and it's been fine since, so I'm wondering if I might be able to clean it up myself. The volume control has also started slipping though, although it still works ok.
I've no intention of changing the SA2s, they have great sentimental value - I actually bought them off the widow of a musician friend who died way too young, and unless it's a limited edition print, I'm unlikely to own anything else with a 2-digit serial number!

Unless I have missed the point why not another Creek amp like the Evolution 50a
An excellent question, and no, you certainly haven't missed the point! I thought about the 50a, but a few things put me off;
1) it's got a balanced input and headphone output, and I guess I have a less is more philosophy where I don't want to pay for stuff I won't use - maybe I'm wrong, and you can still get great sound quality and more features for the same ££;
2) I'm not sure I see the need for a display on an amp, I don't really need it to tell me how loud it is (this is also slightly putting me off the Audiolab) and maybe more importantly -
3) I guess I see this as an opportunity to improve the sound quality of my system, and I'm thinking (again perhaps wrongly) that a Creek amp at a similar price point taking 30 years of inflation into account is going to give me more of the same.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

....I'm wondering if I might be able to clean it up myself.
Its input signal switches, volume and balance controls will really benefit from this miracle stuff - which is likely what they used 5 years ago:
If it needs soldering, leave it / pick up from my doorstep in Essex (y)

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Its input signal switches, volume and balance controls will really benefit from this miracle stuff - which is likely what they used 5 years ago:
If it needs soldering, leave it / pick up from my doorstep in Essex (y)
Thanks for the tip - I'll try some...and for the offer of soldering - problem is, I'm rather a long way from Essex (Co. Durham), I'd struggle to explain it as an essential journey!

scene

Thanks for the tip - I'll try some...and for the offer of soldering - problem is, I'm rather a long way from Essex (Co. Durham), I'd struggle to explain it as an essential journey!
What, getting your HiFi fixed isn't essential?! Who draws up these crazy rules?

But seriously, could be a difficult one to explain to the rozzers...

Have you got a local help website in your area, those can be quite good to find people with the skills - or ask here (separate post) - there may be a member near you who is a dab hand with a soldering iron...

Reactions: Gray and myrrhman

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
What, getting your HiFi fixed isn't essential?! Who draws up these crazy rules?

But seriously, could be a difficult one to explain to the rozzers...

Have you got a local help website in your area, those can be quite good to find people with the skills - or ask here (separate post) - there may be a member near you who is a dab hand with a soldering iron...
I suppose I could say its essential for my mental health...although my amp has been behaving itself today, and I'm hopeful the cleaning tip will prove sufficient without a need for soldering.
Not sure of any local help website in my area, I'll have a look - but first, I'm ordering a can of Servisol Super 10...

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Just a quick update to say the Servisol arrived yesterday, and I took the cover off to give it a spring clean. Pleasantly surprised that there wasn't too much dust inside, and there didn't seem to be anything amiss around the left speaker output. I gave it a few squirts with a can of air to clear what dust I could see, then sprayed the speaker ouputs with a little Servisol.
My memory was failing me about when I purchased the amp - it's only 29, the sticker inside says it was made by 'Barbara' and checked by 'Jon' in November 1990 - I bought it to replace a Harman Kardon 330c receiver, but never got round to buying the Creek tuner.
Put it back together, tested the inputs from the DAC with my iPhone and the TV, and the other line level input from my phono stage, and all is well again - if I do upgrade in the future, I can at least do so with a decent listen to alternatives.

Just a quick update to say the Servisol arrived yesterday, and I took the cover off to give it a spring clean. Pleasantly surprised that there wasn't too much dust inside, and there didn't seem to be anything amiss around the left speaker output. I gave it a few squirts with a can of air to clear what dust I could see, then sprayed the speaker ouputs with a little Servisol.
My memory was failing me about when I purchased the amp - it's only 29, the sticker inside says it was made by 'Barbara' and checked by 'Jon' in November 1990 - I bought it to replace a Harman Kardon 330c receiver, but never got round to buying the Creek tuner.
Put it back together, tested the inputs from the DAC with my iPhone and the TV, and the other line level input from my phono stage, and all is well again - if I do upgrade in the future, I can at least do so with a decent listen to alternatives.
Good to hear.

dave selim

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
First post here also and I have a similar story -- lately have been wondering how my Creek 4140s2 measures up to some of today's integrated amplifiers. Or in other words, what I have been missing out on?

I have been using the same basic setup since I purchased them all around the same time in the late 80's/1990:

Rega planar 3 (greatly modified),
Heybrook HB100 speakers w dedicated Heybrook stands
and the aforementioned Creek
(also a Marantz CD player - HD1).

I've had the Creek serviced a few times over the years for small things (which in turn improved the design a little) and I've basically left the thing on since Roy Hall of Music Hall told me once over the phone that it would live longer if I did. I guess he was right, because here we are 35 years later!

Anyway, with the exception of changing out to different cartridges, this is what I've been listening with for 30-35 years. IME it has a lot of synergy. The Creek is a great amp -- in fact, the only thing I have a problem with, is that the sound tends to get a bit "white" ish when pushed.

So, it's a toss between "don't fix what ain't broken" and curious about what a change in amplification would bring. I'm not interested in changing out the speakers or the modded Rega table.

I have been looking a lot at the Rega Elex-r lately and wondering ...

Thank you for any comments, opinions, suggestions on pairing with the Heybrooks etc.

First post here also and I have a similar story -- lately have been wondering how my Creek 4140s2 measures up to some of today's integrated amplifiers. Or in other words, what I have been missing out on?

I have been using the same basic setup since I purchased them all around the same time in the late 80's/1990:

Rega planar 3 (greatly modified),
Heybrook HB100 speakers w dedicated Heybrook stands
and the aforementioned Creek
(also a Marantz CD player - HD1).

I've had the Creek serviced a few times over the years for small things (which in turn improved the design a little) and I've basically left the thing on since Roy Hall of Music Hall told me once over the phone that it would live longer if I did. I guess he was right, because here we are 35 years later!

Anyway, with the exception of changing out to different cartridges, this is what I've been listening with for 30-35 years. IME it has a lot of synergy. The Creek is a great amp -- in fact, the only thing I have a problem with, is that the sound tends to get a bit "white" ish when pushed.

So, it's a toss between "don't fix what ain't broken" and curious about what a change in amplification would bring. I'm not interested in changing out the speakers or the modded Rega table.

I have been looking a lot at the Rega Elex-r lately and wondering ...

Thank you for any comments, opinions, suggestions on pairing with the Heybrooks etc.
Can you please start a new thread, this one is nearly 3 years old.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts