Anybody been Record Shopping today?

Page 77 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Transmitter Down

May 7, 2017
Visit site
A couple of records bought at a car boot this morning:

Tackhead - Strange Things

Beach Boys - Beach Boys' Party

And a couple arrived in the post:

Concern - Truth & Distance

Ekkehard Ehlers & Paul Wirkus - Ballads

Transmitter Down

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I looked for Mahlers' 9th at the car boot this morning, but I'm guessing it's not one that will be easily found. There's a charity warehouse a mile away, with hundreds of records, so I'll have a look in there tomorrow if the car boots don't prove fruitful.

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Away on hols in Cornwall, couldn't resist popping into a local charity shop for a rummage. Found some very nice classical bargains for 99p each. They all seem to be from the same collector, could have been stored better but nothing a good wash in L' Art du Son won't put right.

Because I've just finished reading Julian Barnes book about his life, Shostakovich's 5th Symphony, Bournemouth Symphony Orch, Paavo Berglund.

Alfred Brendel playing Mozart's Piano Concertos No 20 and No 23

Liszt's Piano Concertos - Lazar Berman, piano, with Wiener Symph conducted by Carlo Maria Giulini

Beethoven's Piano Concerto 3 - Rudolf Firkusny, piano, with Philharmonia Orch conducted by Walter Susskind

They'll be spinning as soon as I get home home in a few days.

Are borderline ridiculous.

Bought 2 albums today after a good hour crate digging. Queensryche Empire, and Rage for Order.

20 quid for one, and fifteen for the other.

The Metal genre seems to command some stupid prices!

Eg. Metallica ...and justice for all. 40 quid for a used copy. 50 for a sealed copy! Bonkers

bigfish786 said:
Are borderline ridiculous.

Bought 2 albums today after a good hour crate digging. Queensryche Empire, and Rage for Order.

20 quid for one, and fifteen for the other.

The Metal genre seems to command some stupid prices!

Eg. Metallica ...and justice for all. 40 quid for a used copy. 50 for a sealed copy! Bonkers

A sign of the times maybe. I wouldn't consider those sort of prices unless rare or a double album.

If in doubt I will fall back on CD s or hi res downloads which are often cheaper. Too many people getting on the vinyl price bandwagon these days.

I really was considering the latest album to be released by Ry Cooder but as it costs around £37 as opposed to the normal twenty odd I don't care how well it is recorded...... ;-)

It's a rip considering the low cost of base material. And anyone that tells you it's because it's a limited edition is talking out of their a*rse as if it sells that well you can be sure there will be another batch in the offing shortly

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Reijer said:
Donald Fagen, The Nightfly.

A Classic and easily in my top 10. I must have played this hundreds of times on Vinyl, Cassette, CD and soon Vinyl again over the years... and I never get bored with it. Everything is right. The songs, the playing, the production, the SQ. Hell, even the cover is perfect!

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
From the HMV sale today, a Bowie compilation, and (I had surprisingly ralised I didn't own a copy) Purple Rain.

£21 in total...

Although, I concur with the above sentiments on record prices. I don't see why the new London Grammar is £10 on CD, and 70% more on record....

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda

Moondog - (1969 eponymous)

Space, Energy & Light - Experimental Electronic and Acoustic Soundscapes 1961 - 88

All shiny, shrinkwrapped, unplayed - can't wait for the needle to hit the grooves...

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Vreemde Kost[font="ProximaNova-Semibold, arial, verdana, sans-serif"]G[/font]angers (literally translated: strange costmakers).

Henny Vrienten, George Kooymans en Boudewijn de Groot.

Three great writers and musicians from the Netherlands, solo and in a band, like Golden Earring en Doe Maar, making music. Love it.

Ivek

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Andreas Vollenweider: Laterna Magica, Down to the moon

Dvorak 9th symphony, Kubelik, Berliner Philharmoniker

Joaquin Roderigo Concierto Aranjuez

Stan Getz quartet

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Palm – Shadow Expert EP

My local shop had to give up trying to get this for me because apparently the UK distributor is a pain in the proverbial, so I had to import it. Looking forward to dropping the needle on it. Thanks to Transmitter Down for introducing me to this band.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Loud Love... superb album that at times I feel is criminally overlooked by SG fans.

61NJwA4n%2BML._SS500.jpg

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I was travelling through Salisbury today – somewhere I've not been in years – and stopped off at a second-hand shop in Wilton, just on the west of the city. It's a tiny shop, called 'LSD Records' (turns out to be £.s.d. Records – I was a bit worried!). Their prices for most things were a lot more than I was expecting, and every record I pulled out of its sleeve was pretty dusty and covered in fingerprints, but the upstairs room is 'everything for £3' and I picked up a few there:

The Four Tops – Live! (Motown, 1966)
The Four Tops – Meeting of the Minds
The Jacksons – Goin' Places
Little Feat – The Last Record Album
Michelle Shocked – The Texas Campfire Tapes

All look like they should clean up nicely – not bad for a total of £15.

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Some 60's British blues goodies:

Alexis Korner's All Stars - Blues Incorporated

Blue Horizon Vol 1 - compilation featuring early Fleetwood Mac, Christine Perfect, Duster Bennett, Chicken Shack, Jack Dupree, Key Largo, Jellybread and Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation

Raw Blues - Ace of Clubs compilation featuring John Mayall, Eric Clapton, Champion Jack Dupree, Curtis Jones, Peter Green and Steve Anglo

The Animals with Sonny Boy Williamson

And...

Dusty Springfield - Ev'rything's Coming Up Dusty - lovely mono recording, in very nice nick, gatefold sleeve contains 12 page book of photos and liner notes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts