Any Rega Elicit owners out there?

listening-in97

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I own the Rega Brio, and shops here in Hong Kong get Elicit shipments in next week. I am planning a demo, and am hoping some people can share speaker combos they have tested or own. Room size is small, 30 square metres, and listening position is about 2 metres from speakers.

I can spend GBP1,800 on speakers/stands. Source is below in the signature. Content is mostly vinyl rips at 24/96 or higher - jazz, classical, ambient, folk, classical folk-ambient. I would love to home demo different combos, but no shop in HK allows home demos. It's simply not done. For all your rain and politics, you guys over there have it easy.

Cheers

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
If your speakers work at the minute then there is no need to change, the Elicit should control them better IMO

Been running my Elicit R in since Saturday and am simply blown away by it, my Brio R is redundant now!

The Elicit is very open & transparent and is an absolute joy to listen to and a massive uplift from the Brio

I have only listens to vinyl so far on it, but will give my DAC a go later this week if I can pull myself away from the vinyl!

Regards

listening-in97

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing Steve. I do intend to see how the Elicit handles the MAs, and do hope for more control. But given I have some funds available, and will make the journey anyway to hear the Elicit, I was thinking I might test out a few speakers priced around the amp. The room dictates speakers can only go near corners, so any Rega side-firing drivers won't work.

Cheers

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I ended up with B&W CM8s after comparing with a few others. I do have a bias towards B&W as they make up the bulk of my Cinema system as well. I'm still trying to run them in. They are positioned in the corners of my room, about 3 metres apart and I sit about 2 metres from them. I haven't tried tweaking them at all, at the moment I'm not 100% happy I have enough bass so either they need more use or I have them positioned incorrectly.

I had a demo in the shop using my amp but the source was manly from a DAC rather than a TT. The main source for me is my Rega TT. Don't get me wrong, the sound is very good, open and clear, maybe the CM9s would have been a better choice, but my budget wouldn't stretch that far. I did listen to some MAs at a similar price and it was a difficult decission, they have the ribbon tweaters so the treble is a bit better but I preferred the overall sound of the B&Ws.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Kikiso,

Have you done a compariosn of the Elicit R phono vs the Dino MK2?

What are your thoughts - I dont think there is a lot in it really, obviously the gain on the Elicit R is different!

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I would advise trying arcam if it is available where you are as its a perfect match with MA speakers IMO. If not musical fidelity, creek and roksan are also suggested good matches. I found much the same as stevebrock in that moving up from an entry level arcam amp to my top of the range Arcam integrated amp gave much better control, wider soundstage, more open and more detailed. I would imagine that this is similar with most makes as you move up the range.

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Yes, I did a quick comparison and the Dino gave the music slightly more punch and a better sound, but I agree, the difference is not significant. I did the comparison after I had put the Dino on eBay and someone made me a very good offer on it. This was a deliberate ploy on my part as I wanted to remove the need for another component so I comitted to sell it before I did the comparison.

I thnk as with all things at this level, there is a law of diminishing returns and this amp sounds great with or without the Dino so sadly the dino is now gone but it has helped pay for the CM8s. My signature needs updating.

One last point, I never went as far as upgrading to one of the better power supplies for the Dino, it may well be that there is a leap in performance, but I go back to my previous statement that the Elicit R is great by itself.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
kikiso said:
I ended up with B&W CM8s after comparing with a few others. I do have a bias towards B&W as they make up the bulk of my Cinema system as well. I'm still trying to run them in. They are positioned in the corners of my room, about 3 metres apart and I sit about 2 metres from them. I haven't tried tweaking them at all, at the moment I'm not 100% happy I have enough bass so either they need more use or I have them positioned incorrectly.

I had a demo in the shop using my amp but the source was manly from a DAC rather than a TT. The main source for me is my Rega TT. Don't get me wrong, the sound is very good, open and clear, maybe the CM9s would have been a better choice, but my budget wouldn't stretch that far. I did listen to some MAs at a similar price and it was a difficult decission, they have the ribbon tweaters so the treble is a bit better but I preferred the overall sound of the B&Ws.

Could be too far apart, can you place them 2m apart, toe-in.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
TBH my Dino into the Elicit R is pretty much the same as the onboard phono - it may have someting to do with the cart!

I have a dilema as I would at some point like to try a med-low output MC but in reality Im well happy with the Dyn 10x5, I might just stick the Dino on ebay and I should get back what I padi for it!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Or you could keep the Dino , stick the Dyna on the Bay as a BIN , maybe not lose too much on it due to the fact it has very low hrs. Get a cheapo mm to tide you over, then put the proceeds of the Dyna towards a half decent coil.

Just thinking outloud like.

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll try that. They are currently on either side of a projector screen where they work really well for movies, but could move them in for vinyl which is what they are used for 75% of the time. Will let you know if this works. Thanks. :

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Or you could keep the Dino , stick the Dyna on the Bay as a BIN , maybe not lose too much on it due to the fact it has very low hrs. Get a cheapo mm to tide you over, then put the proceeds of the Dyna towards a half decent coil.

Just thinking outloud like.

Youve already cost me near on £500! (only kidding)

Im gonna live with the 10x5 for a bit now!

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thaks BigH. Yes, moving them closer and a more pronounced toe-in has improved the bass, but I think they need more use. I haven't exceeded about 50hrs yet and I read somewhere that the kevlar used takes longer to run-in.

stevebrock said:
If your speakers work at the minute then there is no need to change, the Elicit should control them better IMO

Been running my Elicit R in since Saturday and am simply blown away by it, my Brio R is redundant now!

The Elicit is very open & transparent and is an absolute joy to listen to and a massive uplift from the Brio

I have only listens to vinyl so far on it, but will give my DAC a go later this week if I can pull myself away from the vinyl!

Regards

Only just realised you finally took the plunge. Is it worth £1600? think I know the answer... :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I kept it quiet PP, I guess people were getting sick of the Rega love tbh, and yes I listened to the Nait XS2 and it was superb like the Elicit - I couldnt tell them apart if Im honest.

It made sense to me to go for the Elicit R but would of been happy with the Naim - however finding the Elicit/.Dino/10x5 a little to forward - take the Dino out and run the Elicit Phono that it is flipping brilliant!

Had a lot of discussion with Floyd about Phonos & Carts and its a minefield - i love the presentation of the 10x5 into the Elicit phono so Im sticking with it - Dino on the bay and I sohuld get back at least what I paid for it.

Just got to keep my vinyl puchases in check now

stevebrock said:
I kept it quiet PP, I guess people were getting sick of the Rega love tbh, and yes I listened to the Nait XS2 and it was superb like the Elicit - I couldnt tell them apart if Im honest.

It made sense to me to go for the Elicit R but would of been happy with the Naim - however finding the Elicit/.Dino/10x5 a little to forward - take the Dino out and run the Elicit Phono that it is flipping brilliant!

Had a lot of discussion with Floyd about Phonos & Carts and its a minefield - i love the presentation of the 10x5 into the Elicit phono so Im sticking with it - Dino on the bay and I sohuld get back at least what I paid for it.

Just got to keep my vinyl puchases in check now

Yup, well aware of Floydie sending you the 10x5.

I think this proves, as I mentioned before, no matter how good the Brio-R is, it is a budget amp. That also accounts for the phono stage on the Elicit-R being better than the Dino.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts