Any opinions on the Philips 40PFL8605??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has opinions on the new 8 series Philips range? I haven't seen reviews anywhere and I'm considering it instead of the more expensive 9 series or should I just save for longer? :)

The reason I want Philips is mainly previous experience, the design and the ambilight, I live in Ireland so a freeview HD Tuner is not relevant to me and anyway I use a cable box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I saw the 8 series playing a Harry Potter blu-ray and it was incredible. I understand that WhatHiFi didn't like the SD picture of the 9 series. I spent about 90 minutes in John Lewis at the weekend playing with the 9 series and I liked it - I didn't see that the SD picture was terrible at all. I wondered whether the WHF team had been spoilt with the really great equipment they'd seen but I appreciated their experience.

The 9 series has a HD demo built into it - I assume the 8 series does as well. The colours seemed to be a little loud for my taste, but were very clear. There was a panning shot across some cliffs and it looked a little odd (almost jerky but not quite - there's probably a proper name for such a phenomonon).

The remote is severely lacking - you need at least a couple of button presses to bring up the EPG, so you may well need to budget in a programmable remote.

Either way (8 or 9 series), it's a lot of money, so you'd probably do well to see one in the flesh before you buy one, tho if Ireland has the something similar to our distance selling regulations, you could make use of that, tho it's a bit of a faff.

rgds

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Ill try and take a look for myself sometime soon, but I'm thinking ill just get the 9 series now.

Cheers,

Peter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts