Replace my 35+ year-old Creek?

dave selim

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
First post here. Lately, have been wondering how my Creek 4140s2 measures up to some of today's integrated amplifiers. Or in other words, what I have been missing out on?

I have been using the same basic setup since I purchased them all around the same time in the late 80's/1990:

Rega planar 3 (greatly modified),
Heybrook HB100 speakers w dedicated Heybrook stands
and the aforementioned Creek
(also a Marantz CD player - HD1).

I've had the Creek serviced a few times over the years for small things (which in turn improved the design a little) and I've basically left the thing on since Roy Hall of Music Hall told me once over the phone that it would live longer if I did. I guess he was right, because here we are 35 years later!

Anyway, with the exception of changing out to different cartridges, this is what I've been listening with for 35+ years. IME it has a lot of synergy. The Creek is a great amp -- in fact, the only thing I have a problem with, is that the sound tends to get a bit "white" ish when pushed.

So, it's a toss between "don't fix what ain't broken" and being curious about what a change to more “modern“ amplification would bring. I'm not interested in changing out the speakers or the modded Rega table.

I have been looking a lot at the Rega Elex-r lately and wondering ...

Thank you for any comments, opinions, suggestions on pairing with the Heybrooks etc.

matthewpianist

The Creek was (and still is) a nice amp, and I'd counsel caution. The best thing you can do is to focus in on a couple of options and organise a home demo with a suitable retailer.

You may wish to try the new 4040A - https://www.creekaudio.com/products/

I'd also suggest giving Rega a listen. IME the Brio is more fun than the Elex-R, but both are excellent amplifiers. You may also wish to consider one of the IAG amps - Leak Stereo 130/Audiolab 6000A/Quad Vena II. All are excellent and basically made of the same/similar parts, but each has been voiced slightly differently as part of the branding exercise.

Reactions: dave selim
I’ve never owned creek gear, but have been told it’s good stuff. Do you have any desire to stay with the brand or do you feel like a change? Can’t imagine keeping HiFi as long as you have. I like to swap stuff in and out every now and then. You have tons of choice out there. Arcam Amps are definitely worth a try. Audiolab as mentioned before. And Rega. All worth a look.

I’ve never owned creek gear, but have been told it’s good stuff. Do you have any desire to stay with the brand or do you feel like a change? Can’t imagine keeping HiFi as long as you have. I like to swap stuff in and out every now and then. You have tons of choice out there. Arcam Amps are definitely worth a try. Audiolab as mentioned before. And Rega. All worth a look.
As are American exotica...
Unfortunately i fear those speakers may be on last leg as well

Last edited:

dave selim

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
Excellent though they may be, I owned several Heyrooks, they are a tad aged.
Hmm that is a thought.

I wonder what modern speaker might commune well with my Creek and souped up planar 3. Rega speakers?

I confess I have been out of the loop for some time. I am a musician who was turned on to hi fidelity sound many years ago, but have not kept up with developments and in any case have not been able to afford any experiments/changes until now.

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Try upgrades on your cables, I guess you have improved the original Rega arm cable, if not, then Audio Origami will do an excellent job. I know, he changed my wiring. If you have an RB300/303 arm then a Mitchel Technoweight makes a massive difference, a Rega dealer should help you. I suggest #Cymbiosis if you are in the East Midlands.

Kudos KS1 speaker cable is a great upgrade too. I used to have NACA5, the KS1 opened the sound up big time! The soundstage completely changed, however, I am using Kudos X3 speakers.

The rest of my system is a #Cymbiosis upgraded Pink triangle, Rega RB300 (AO and Mitchel upgrades fitted), Rega Elys 2.
A Teddy Pardo TeddyCap, Naim 202/250-2, Stageline.
Kudos KS1 speaker cable, Kudos X3 speaker cable
March DAC-1 acting as a Roon endpoint.

dave selim

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
Try upgrades on your cables, I guess you have improved the original Rega arm cable, if not, then Audio Origami will do an excellent job. I know, he changed my wiring. If you have an RB300/303 arm then a Mitchel Technoweight makes a massive difference, a Rega dealer should help you. I suggest #Cymbiosis if you are in the East Midlands.

Kudos KS1 speaker cable is a great upgrade too. I used to have NACA5, the KS1 opened the sound up big time! The soundstage completely changed, however, I am using Kudos X3 speakers.

The rest of my system is a #Cymbiosis upgraded Pink triangle, Rega RB300 (AO and Mitchel upgrades fitted), Rega Elys 2.
A Teddy Pardo TeddyCap, Naim 202/250-2, Stageline.
Kudos KS1 speaker cable, Kudos X3 speaker cable
March DAC-1 acting as a Roon endpoint.
Thanks. I think I have upgraded everything on the Rega table except for the tonearm wire! Is the difference not subtle? I’ve always had the notion that even tho the stock cable is basic stuff, after 35+ years, it’s certainly burned in. But being a musician (bass player), I can certainly attest to the improvements a high quality lead cable brings to the table.

matthewpianist

I've stopped at Chord Rumour X with speaker cables, and I use the Project Connect-It cable from my turntable. I've explored lots of cables over the years, and although I can hear differences in analogue cables, they're not sufficient enough for me to spend lots of valuable listening time (and money I don't have) fiddling. It's a rabbit warren in itself.

dave selim

Dec 20, 2022
Visit site
Excellent though they may be, I owned several Heyrooks, they are a tad aged.
I think you are right.

I have begun researching speakers with a budget max of $1500 (pair) .. apologies, I’m on the other side of the pond (NYC). Any and all advice & suggestions appreciated!

— to be matched with Creek 4140s2 and heavily modded 80’s Rega planar 3 w Exact2 cartridge. My room is 13 x 16 but also serves as a home recording studio, so is cramped.

Question: Creek advises that “… 8 ohm and not 4 ohm nominal impedance speakers to be used as a preference“. Does that mean 6 ohm speakers, e.g. ELAC Carina BS243.4 would not mate well with the Creek?

I think you are right.

I have begun researching speakers with a budget max of $1500 (pair) .. apologies, I’m on the other side of the pond (NYC). Any and all advice & suggestions appreciated!

— to be matched with Creek 4140s2 and heavily modded 80’s Rega planar 3 w Exact2 cartridge. My room is 13 x 16 but also serves as a home recording studio, so is cramped.

Question: Creek advises that “… 8 ohm and not 4 ohm nominal impedance speakers to be used as a preference“. Does that mean 6 ohm speakers, e.g. ELAC Carina BS243.4 would not mate well with the Creek?
i think that's only a suggestion as there is no reason the amp should have any issues driving six ohms speakers.
Unless they are really inefficient speakers the amp should have no issues driving them, what's more important is that the speakers work well in your room.

.....and you don't have to apologise for coming from NYC.... :)

TRENDING THREADS