Any advice/opinion on Totem speakers???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Been eyeing up a pair of Totem Dreamcatchers at £500 as they are small yet Loud & Clear in Glasgow claim they sound very impressive. Haven't had an audition yet, but will do with my own equipment in the shop before purchasing. I currently own a NAD C541i CD player and a NAD C370 Amplifier and want to upgrade from my JBL XTi 20 speakers on Atacama stands.

Anyone own a pair of Totems or have any advice??? Internet research points to Totem actually using Dynaudio cones coupled with Totem's self designed and manufactured cabinets

Any advice greatly appreciated!.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Some Totem model used Dyn's drivers but not all. They are superb (I had a pair of Arro and miss them already) I also heard "model 1" and "Forest" which are superb value.

For your electronics I would try to find a nice pair of dreamcatcher.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, the more i hear about Totems the more i cant wait to audition them!!!

Going to listen to a pair of Monitor Audio RS1's, but it all comes down to how things sound on the day!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="oldskoolrichy"]Going to listen to a pair of Monitor Audio RS1's[/quote]

emotion-8.gif

Totem and MA RS1's are like chalk and cheese.

It's like you are asking about Volvo V70 but go and test drive Honda CBR!!!!

A

Anonymous

Totem & NAD go very well together, so I would highly recommend the pairing. It's nice to see Canadian products being appreciated overseas, too!

I recommend Dreamcatchers, Rainmakers or Arros...the Staff is the only speaker in the Totem line-up that hasn't impressed me.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="brock_boogie"]
Totem & NAD go very well together, so I would highly recommend the pairing. It's nice to see Canadian products being appreciated overseas, too!

I recommend Dreamcatchers, Rainmakers or Arros...the Staff is the only speaker in the Totem line-up that hasn't impressed me.
[/quote]Agreed, the sttaf is a rare miss for totem. I can say that the rainmakers are a great buy in your pricerange and they would sound beautiful on your kit.

The dynaudio drivers is a misconception, totem selects the best drivers and tweeters they can find for the pricerange they're aiming at, then design a crossover and enclosure specifically for the hardware. I know my rainmakers have drivers and tweeters from two different manufacturers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="oldskoolrichy"]

Been eyeing up a pair of Totem Dreamcatchers at £500 as they are small yet Loud & Clear in Glasgow claim they sound very impressive. Haven't had an audition yet, but will do with my own equipment in the shop before purchasing. I currently own a NAD C541i CD player and a NAD C370 Amplifier and want to upgrade from my JBL XTi 20 speakers on Atacama stands.

Anyone own a pair of Totems or have any advice??? Internet research points to Totem actually using Dynaudio cones coupled with Totem's self designed and manufactured cabinets

[/quote]

I think both the Rega R3's and Epos M12.2i's outperform this particular totem. More of everything. Unless you really have no space whatsoever I would'nt bother. They are to small with all the implications coming with it.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="oldskoolrichy"]

[/quote]

I think both the Rega R3's and Epos M12.2i's outperform this particular totem. More of everything. Unless you really have no space whatsoever I would'nt bother. They are to small with all the implications coming with it.
[/quote]

Everything is small to you isn't it?
emotion-5.gif

It depends on the room they are being used in IMO. I have heard miniature standmounters produce bass that belies their enclosure/driver size.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]I think both the Rega R3's and Epos M12.2i's outperform this particular totem. More of everything. [/quote]

I would argue with that totally.

Huddo from here had a big MA RS6 and he couldn't believe how big my (now..his)slimline Totem arro sound comparing with the MA.

The bass preformance is properbly as good as anything out there including silly price level pair. The same goes for the Model 1, room filling sound, wife friendly and preformance that make your spine tingle at every music note.

John Duncan

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="drummerman"]I think both the Rega R3's and Epos M12.2i's outperform this particular totem. More of everything. [/quote]

Huddo from here had a big MA RS6 and he couldn't believe how big my (now..his)slimline Totem arro sound comparing with the MA.

The bass preformance is properbly as good as anything out there including silly price level pair. The same goes for the Model 1, room filling sound, wife friendly and preformance that make your spine tingle at every music note.

[/quote]

Am itching again. if only I could find a dealer............

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]

[/quote]

That'll be me then !!!! Set them up last night (not that it took long as they dont appear to be very fussy about positioning) they are unbelievable, my son came in after I'd had it runnng for a while and could not believe that speakers that small could produce that sound, we spent hours going through lots of CD's and couldn't stop smiling at each other when a bass line burst forth from the tiny cabinets. They are absolutely brilliant far far better that my RS6's. Oh did I mention the soundstage and image ?????????????????? AWESOME............Go buy some NOW...........

Thaiman, thanks by the way (can you tell I'm pleased with them)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]

[/quote]

Fair enough, well integrated, delineated bass can be wrought out of small speakers, there are plenty of examples but where they imo fall by the way side is dynamics. I find them sounding compressed even at relatively normal levels compared to the speakers I mentioned earlier and when things start going its soon curtain time. More seriously (to me) is that they dont sound good at low volumes. Granted, they (Arro, Dreamcatcher) are very elegant solutions if space is a problem but why else would anyone want a speaker with such tiny drivers? There's a limit to how much air they can move and thats clearly bourne out too by the limited m/spl possible. So to get bass that increases in similiar increments to all else with volume you soon find you'll need a sub.

Just my opinion guys, forgive me but it is always more impressive to get a big sound from small speakers than the other way round and they look nice but at a price.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="huddo"][quote user="Thaiman"]

[/quote] That'll be me then !!!! Set them up last night (not that it took long as they dont appear to be very fussy about positioning) they are unbelievable, my son came in after I'd had it runnng for a while and could not believe that speakers that small could produce that sound, we spent hours going through lots of CD's and couldn't stop smiling at each other when a bass line burst forth from the tiny cabinets. They are absolutely brilliant far far better that my RS6's. Oh did I mention the soundstage and image ?????????????????? AWESOME............Go buy some NOW........... Thaiman, thanks by the way (can you tell I'm pleased with them[/quote]

I agree and they should (in a perfect world) given the substantial price difference. But I would never choose MA's silver range speakers, especially not for good bass.

Anyway, please dont get me wrong here, I think most of Totem's speakers I've heard are very nice indeed and perhaps I'm missing the point here with mis-directed criticism.

I'm glad you found speakers you like, makes listening to music a whole new experience does'nt it.

A

Anonymous

I've had Totem Model 1 sig, and Im familiar with the Forsets, the sigs need or should I say demand power to keep that powerful bass under control, plus they are not friendliest load, but get them right and they'll image like no other. Monitor Audio don't compare, I know which I'd prefer to have.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]The bass preformance is properbly as good as anything out there including silly price level pair. The same goes for the Model 1, room filling sound, wife friendly and preformance that make your spine tingle at every music note[/quote]

Intrigued again TM. Did you use them with subs or did you find the Arros sufficient for your penchant for HM/Rock?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]Intrigued again TM. Did you use them with subs [/quote]

No sub allow for music play back in my house DM.

They are very good with anything! I couldn't believe how good they were in my room(only bought them as a stop gap pair). Bass is so realistic, treble is liquid smooth and expressive midrange but the again all products I like seem to only get 4 stars rating by what HiFi - different peeps have different ears and indeed different taste.

A

Anonymous

The Arros are very nice, indeed. However, they do not like to go too, too loud. Great little speakers that sound much bigger than their small frames, but not ideal for larger rooms or party scenarios.

As for the placement thing, all Totems image very well without toe-in. The Totem's sweetspot is huge!

A

Anonymous

I am also looking at the dreamcatchers but there is no dealer in my area that has them for listening (though I can order them). I did hear the rainmakers and they were very impressive though.

Anyone have an opinion on how the Totem dreamcatchers stack up against the MS Mezzo line? For me they seem to be in similar price range and I heard them the other day and they sounded pretty good but its been a while since I heard the rainmakers so hard to compare.

This would be my first system and primarily for home theatre usage. My room layout is a bit awkward as my apartment not large, room will be L-shaped, ceilings are high, and not sure where to put my rear speakers since I have a desk/study right behind sofa.(possibly on a high bookshelf or hung from ceiling..not ideal I know but no choice)

A

Anonymous

Once I narrowed down to standmounts it was between the Mezzo 2 and the Rainmaker for me. So I'm guessing Mezzo 1 and Dreamcatcher?

All I can say is that I found the Totems vastly more musical, however had I been buying for Home theatre use then I may well have sided with the MS. I think the Shorts are a more versatile speaker, my rainmakers aren't as good at DVD's I find. I use my missions for theatre.

A

Anonymous

ray, thanks for the advice, from the sound of it I think the mezzos sound like a safer bet since my focus will be more on home theatre 75% music 25%.

actually the setup I have been thinking about is a mezzo2 x2 + mezzo1x2 for rear and a center channel. the dreamcatcher setup (4 bookshelf + center channel) is similar price where I am located so if i'm supposed to be comparing the mezzo1s then perhaps the MS makes even more sense... the totem dealer did offer me a set of demo rainmakers @ ~600 usd which sounds not a bad deal though I honestly wouldn't know...

one residual concern is that the layout of the room I will be using in will be a bit awkward in particular where I put my rear speakers. behind my viewingarea/couch is a built in desk/study area that cannot be adjusted so there is no place to evenly put 2 rear speakers unless I mount them up high... well maybe I can put it on the desk but they will be unevenly spaced/height, in the way, and very close to viewing seat

- mounting bookshelf speakers on ceiling/wall - is that a reasonable solution? I am a newbie here so feel like checking to see if doing so makes the rear speaker far less effective etc.
- if it is ok, the totem dealer mentioned that totems are good because of its better (insert technical term I forgot here) such that the sound will be even wherever the listener is... if this is the case would it be significant enough vs MS for home theatre usage?
- someone recommended for my layout an in ceiling solution or something smaller to mount for surrounds, so i have considered getting say 2xmezzos (or the pair of demo rainmakers) and using some other brand for rear/surround etc.. but I have also heard that for home theatre its beneficial to keep a consistent brand of sound/speaker to make sure things are more even. any thoughts here?

thanks again for any advice

A

Anonymous

GREAT TO HEAR SO MANY OPINIONS AND VIEWS ON TOTEM PRODUCTS!!!

I had never heard of Totem before but i now know they are a quality brand well worth the money and well worth a listen too. Just moved into my new house so going into Loud & Clear Glasagow in the next few weeks with my own kit for a full proper demo. Leaving my kit boxed untill i'm ready to demo and buy - let you all know what i decide to spend my cash on!

Thanks for all the advice, cant beat a good hi-fi debate...

OLDSKOOLRICHY

A

Anonymous

Gonna revive this.

First, is 600usd for demo rainmakers a good deal? I am tempted to get them just to mess around with. this can be independent decision from home theater - if for example a good quality set could possibly resale for 500usd then i don't mind just buying them separately to learn more about hifi, or just to use them for now with option to switch something later.

Otherwise, ray, on your comment for rainmakers not good at dvds, is that because of a lack of bass? If I had rainmakers + a good matching subwoofer would it take care of that? Or would I be better off hometheater wise with something completely separate/different? I was even considering floor standing mezzo6s at one point so its not that cost is the issue as much as value and taking into consideration im a bit new at this.

I have a huge stack of blurays and nothing to enjoy the sound with! But will probably be buying something this weekend.,..been so busy that i havent been able to do anything in this space that past few weeks

A

Anonymous

ok even for demos right? i am a newbie so not familiar with what kind of depreciation you usually get between new/used speakers

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
margmarg:ok even for demos right? i am a newbie so not familiar with what kind of depreciation you usually get between new/used speakers

Ex-demo normally you will be looking for 25% - 40% discount depending on brand name. (ie Naim - 25%, Musical Fidelity - 40% etc).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts