Advice on AV Receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,

I'm turning 30 in a soon and so a present to myself will be a pair of Monitor Audio RX2s. Howvever I will be needing an amp/AV receiver to go with this. But before that here's an idea of my setup:

My PC will be connected to the amp and is currently the source of all my music and videos. Although I am only using onboard audio at the moment, I will be purchasing a good sound card to make the most of my setup. My TV (that I also do not have yet) will also be connected via the PC as when I do get it, I won't have room for a TV and monitor and so the TV will double up as the PC display. So primarily the amp will be required for audio only, but down the line I will be buying a blu-ray player (but NOT a 3D player as the TV will not be 3D) and possibly virgin/sky HD so the AV receiver will need these capabilities.

I'll mainly be watching SD and HD material on my PC and playing games, and occasionally listening to music.

My room size is approx 3x4 metres. 2 walls are solid with the other 2 adjcent walls being partitions, though I don't have to worry about noise going through the walls as this room is in the garage. Due to the layout of the room I highly doubt that I would beable to eventually create a 5.1 setup, but may possibly later invest in a sub for a 2.1 speaker arrangement.

Are the RX2s overkill for this? I was thinking of the RX1s but for an extra £100 the RX2s seem like much better value. AV receiver-wise, well this is my weakpoint as I don't really know where to start as this will be my first "quality" system. I have given myself an initial budget of £500 for this. However as I am unfamiliar in this department this is where I would greatly appreciate some recommendations. I am not particlularly fond/against any specific brand so it really comes down to whats best for the money, and if there is something out there below my budget then thats no bad thing either obviously.

So just a quick recap - I will be purchasing some MA RX2s and would like advice on a good AV receiver that would complement these wonderful speakers.

All comments and suggesions most welcome. Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts