Advice on AV receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All, I'm turning 30 in a soon and so a present to myself will be a pair of Monitor Audio RX2s. Howvever I will be needing an AV receiver to go with this. But before that here's an idea of my setup:

My PC will be connected to the receiver and is currently the source of all my music and videos. Although I am only using onboard audio at the moment, I will be purchasing a good sound card to make the most of my setup. My TV (that I also do not have yet) will also be connected via the PC as when I do get it, I won't have room for a TV and monitor and so the TV will double up as the PC display. So primarily the amp will be required for audio only, but down the line I will be buying a blu-ray player and possibly virgin/sky HD so the AV receiver will need these capabilities. I'll mainly be watching SD and HD material on my PC and playing games, and occasionally listening to music. My room size is approx 3x4 metres. 2 walls are solid with the other 2 adjcent walls being partitions, though I don't have to worry about noise going through the walls as this room is in the garage. Due to the layout of the room I highly doubt that I would beable to eventually create a 5.1 setup, but may possibly later invest in a sub for a 2.1 speaker arrangement.

Are the RX2s overkill for this? I was thinking of the RX1s but for an extra £100 the RX2s seem like much better value. AV receiver-wise, well this is my weakpoint as I don't really know where to start as this will be my first "quality" system. I have given myself an initial budget of £500 for this. However as I am unfamiliar in this department this is where I would greatly appreciate some recommendations. I am not particlularly fond/against any specific brand (for the receiver anyways, but regarding the speakers I am very certain they will be Monitor Audio) so it really comes down to whats best for the money, and if there is something out there below my budget then thats no bad thing either obviously.

So just a quick recap - I will be purchasing some MA RX2s and would like advice on a good AV receiver that would complement these wonderful speakers.

EDIT - I accidentally posted this in the HiFi section a few days ago and since have managed to look at a few products. The MA BX2s are highly rated as is the Sony STR-DH810. Having a quick look I can get these for around £500. Or I could go one price bracket up and go for the MA RX2s and the Onkyo TX-SR608 for around £910. I do not need to budget for cables as I already have some good speaker cables and HDMI cable (Its not 1.4 but I don't need that just yet anyway). The other main additional expense will be speaker stands but again I don't mind waiting a pay packet or two before I get them.

All suggestions most welcome, thanks in advance.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Nothing like a good birthday present to one's self
emotion-11.gif

Within your budget, the Onkyo SR608 and Yamaha V667 / V767 are worthy of an audition. I haven't personally heard any of these with the RX2s but would recommend listening for yourself anyway if you can.

clique:
Hello All, I'm turning 30 in a soon and so a present to myself will be a pair of Monitor Audio RX2s. Howvever I will be needing an AV receiver to go with this. But before that here's an idea of my setup:

My PC will be connected to the receiver and is currently the source of all my music and videos. Although I am only using onboard audio at the moment, I will be purchasing a good sound card to make the most of my setup. My TV (that I also do not have yet) will also be connected via the PC as when I do get it, I won't have room for a TV and monitor and so the TV will double up as the PC display. So primarily the amp will be required for audio only, but down the line I will be buying a blu-ray player and possibly virgin/sky HD so the AV receiver will need these capabilities. I'll mainly be watching SD and HD material on my PC and playing games, and occasionally listening to music. My room size is approx 3x4 metres. 2 walls are solid with the other 2 adjcent walls being partitions, though I don't have to worry about noise going through the walls as this room is in the garage. Due to the layout of the room I highly doubt that I would beable to eventually create a 5.1 setup, but may possibly later invest in a sub for a 2.1 speaker arrangement.

Are the RX2s overkill for this? I was thinking of the RX1s but for an extra £100 the RX2s seem like much better value. AV receiver-wise, well this is my weakpoint as I don't really know where to start as this will be my first "quality" system. I have given myself an initial budget of £500 for this. However as I am unfamiliar in this department this is where I would greatly appreciate some recommendations. I am not particlularly fond/against any specific brand (for the receiver anyways, but regarding the speakers I am very certain they will be Monitor Audio) so it really comes down to whats best for the money, and if there is something out there below my budget then thats no bad thing either obviously.

So just a quick recap - I will be purchasing some MA RX2s and would like advice on a good AV receiver that would complement these wonderful speakers.

EDIT - I accidentally posted this in the HiFi section a few days ago and since have managed to look at a few products. The MA BX2s are highly rated as is the Sony STR-DH810. Having a quick look I can get these for around £500. Or I could go one price bracket up and go for the MA RX2s and the Onkyo TX-SR608 for around £910. I do not need to budget for cables as I already have some good speaker cables and HDMI cable (Its not 1.4 but I don't need that just yet anyway). The other main additional expense will be speaker stands but again I don't mind waiting a pay packet or two before I get them.

All suggestions most welcome, thanks in advance.

Hi clique

Monitor Audio's Silver RX2's are worth the extra premium over the already impressive Silver RX1's. I'll recommend Yamaha's new RX-V667 (particularly with the retail price currently being at £350), RX-V767 or if your budget allows the superb RX-V1067.

In my experience Yamaha AV amps + Monitor Audio speakers = great match (time after time)
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Will the RX2's be placed on one of the solid walls or one of the partition walls? This will have a big effect on the end result. If you can place them on the partition wall fine, but against a solid wall, you'll find they'll need a little room to breathe, otherwise the bass from it's 8" driver might become a little boomy. I think you may b better off with the RX1, especially if you're eventually going for a 2.1 system.

The RX range can be a little laid back if the right receiver isn't chosen, so within the budet you mention, i'd recommend either the Pioneer VSX920, or the Onkyo TXSR608. One of these should make them a more interesting listen. Although, if you go for the RX1's, this will allow you more on the receiver, so you can look at either the TXSR708 or the VSX1020, which will be in better control of the RX's not inconsiderable bass.

If I were you, I'd get out there and audition your intended speakers with a few AV receivers so that you can appreciate the benefit of these better receivers, and what they'll do for you longer term - you don't want to be in the situation of thinking of upgrading in 6 months time because you're not happy with your system because it doesn't interest you you or sounds bland or something.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your responses. The speakers would be against one of the solid walls, but the wall in particular has a massive wiindow in it such that it there is about 40-50cm of wall either side and the bottom of the window is approx 80-90cm from the floor.

After doing some more research I'm finding the Onkyo more and more attractive and will most likely go with that. However it has also been suggested to maybe go for some MA BX5 or BX6 as opposed to the RX2 as they are floorstanders and so there will be no need for stands unlike the RX2. Also the BX5/6s would look the part in my room as well finished in oak.

Another critical piece of information:- due to the layout of my room the speakers will only be approx 1.2-1.5 metres apart, but would be about 1ft from the back wall and 1m away from the side walls.

A

Anonymous

Id drop the Pc and get a Popcorn Hour A200 and if budget allows a NAS Drive.

You'll not regret it! see video below for Jukebox Feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5s7Tu0Ymj8

A

Anonymous

I'm with Rick on this one, I am 100% positive any of the MA speakers will sound best with the 767 or 1067.

DAVID-isn't the 1020 the same power per channel as the cheaper 920, but just with more HDMI's. Therefore for £600, not a good choice IMO

I had a pioneer 920 with the RX1 and the 250HD MA speakers I have now, and I had the 920 for 4 weeks and had to part-ex It back for a yamaha (I had a 1065 previously) the 920 sounded OK but the 1067 sounds awesome IMO.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
another thumbs up for the monitor audios to be paired with a yamaha amp, excellent pairing
emotion-21.gif
you would not be dissapointed

A

Anonymous

Having looking at the specs of the Yamaha RX-V667 and 767, there doesn't seem to be that much between them, apart from the price! Some places are selling the 667 for £350 and the 767 nearly £200 more and when I compared them on Yamahas own website the main 2 differences were the 767 has an extra 5w per channel and an extra HMDI out. The 767 would have to considerably outperform the 667 for me to consider it. The 1067 I feel is too much out of my budget, plus I don't think I would beable to take advantage of any of the extra features it provides.

I think I will definitely have to hear a demo of the Onkyo 608 and Yamaha 667 with the RX2s. Thank you all again you have all been extremely helpful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts