Analogue v digital interconnects

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
What's the difference, in terms of design and construction, between a digital coax cable and a analogue RCA phono cable. Is is some silver foil screening?

A

Anonymous

Although I'm not sure of the rating of an analogue cable, a digital one should ideally rated at 75 ohms.

I think the analogue and digital signals differ in terms of 'strength' (voltage), so although the construction is similar, I think the electrical properties differ to accommodate the aforementioned.

I'm sure someone more technical will confirm/deny this but this is the basic gist.

A

Anonymous

There is a difference between cables designed for analogue and digital signals. The chap above is correct a properly designed digital cable has an impedance of 75ohms whereas cables specifically designed to carry analogue audio signals dont need to have an impedance of 75 ohms. There is also a difference in the type of screening used on digital cables compared with that of analogue cables. The two types of cable can succesfully be interchanged with each other for short distance succesfully without any problem. If however your want to run 20 meters of digital audio coax cable i sugest you stick with a 75ohm cable that has been properly terminated.

Cheers

MykhailM

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
In addition to impedance of 75ohms as well as screening which is a must for a nature of digital signal there is a solid core conductor used and the quality of the conductor as well as designs are the result of what we hear or the clarity of audio signal stream that that coaxial digital allows. In fact, 24Bit 192Khz signal can not be played over standard RCA interconnects, we have tried, so there is clearly a difference in nature of a digital signal and analogue. Highly recommended to have a good quality coaxial digital cable for its purpose.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts