Question Lehmann audio blackcube decade has crackling noise

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Hi folks, just wondering if anyone could shed any light on the issue with my Lehmann audio decade phono stage . I've uploaded a demo of what's happening on YouTube, excuse the wallpaper mess etc..in the middle of decorating. I have tried different rca cables, different inputs in the Primaluna, heck I have even removed the Rca cable from the turntable and still the sound persists, don't get me wrong..it's still working and making great music, but this just happens sporadically.
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/cwOFAFhZpaM?si=JC0vw818kJErDYHK

Last edited:

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Interesting.
If you have disconnected the turntable RCAs and it still does it I can only suggest it is time to ditch it.
Not really a option Al..I just paid £850 for it....was going to send it back, but I thought I remedied the problem, thinking I had a faulty input in the Primaluna, so I cancelled the returns process and the problem started again after a few days....I'd rather get it repaired.

Reactions: Al ears
Not really a option Al..I just paid £850 for it....was going to send it back, but I thought I remedied the problem, thinking I had a faulty input in the Primaluna, so I cancelled the returns process and the problem started again after a few days....I'd rather get it repaired.
Send it back if still in warranty, I can only infer that it is at fault and nothing else.
What did you use before you got it?

Reactions: DougK1

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Send it back if still in warranty, I can only infer that it is at fault and nothing else.
What did you use before you got it?
Bought it on eBay, it's a pre owned unit , as I said, I started a returns request and cancelled it, thinking I had found the issue...I was wrong to be so hasty in closing my returns option and now it's not really a option as far as I can see.... in my purchase settings.
Oh, I had a project tubebox ds2 previously Al.....nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to get a phono stage up a level or two....I sold it to help fund the Lehmann, I'll probably just use the on-board phono stage in my Mytec brooklyn bridge in the meantime, until I've gathered funds for repair and send it to Lehmann audio in Germany.....hopefully they can sort it out.

Last edited:
Bought it on eBay, it's a pre owned unit , as I said, I started a returns request and cancelled it, thinking I had found the issue...I was wrong to be so hasty in closing my returns option and now it's not really a option as far as I can see.... in my purchase settings.
Oh, I had a project tubebox ds2 previously Al.....nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to get a phono stage up a level or two....I sold it to help fund the Lehmann, I'll probably just use the on-board phono stage in my Mytec brooklyn bridge in the meantime, until I've gathered funds for repair and send it to Lehmann audio in Germany.....hopefully they can sort it out.
Ah!
It's nothing to do with the settings you are using on the Lehmann I assume?

Gray

....send it to Lehmann audio in Germany.....hopefully they can sort it out.
No doubt they could sort it out.
But in an attempt to avoid hassle and expense, I'd be getting back on e-bay trying to resurrect the cancelled return request.

I presume it's got a specific, separate power supply - probably a dual rail type - so not easy to try another PSU.
And even if you did prove the PSU to be faulty it wouldn't help you much.
(If the crackle is on one channel only, it won't be the PSU at fault).

I hope you can arrange the return (by telling e-bay you were premature with that cancellation?)

PS I see your Petite Classic now has a walnut and oak veneer option - but for that luxury they want an extra £300 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: skinnypuppy71

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
No doubt they could sort it out.
But in an attempt to avoid hassle and expense, I'd be getting back on e-bay trying to resurrect the cancelled return request.

I presume it's got a specific, separate power supply - probably a dual rail type - so not easy to try another PSU.
And even if you did prove the PSU to be faulty it wouldn't help you much.

I hope you can arrange the return (by telling e-bay you were premature with that cancellation?)
Hi Gray...yes I have sent the seller a message, that I was a bit premature with the closing of my return request.... I'll see how that goes, He said it was working fine when I messaged him at the first return request, I have no reason to doubt him/her as it is a seller with 100% feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Fandango Andy

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone could shed any light on the issue with my Lehmann audio decade phono stage . I've uploaded a demo of what's happening on YouTube, excuse the wallpaper mess etc..in the middle of decorating. I have tried different rca cables, different inputs in the Primaluna, heck I have even removed the Rca cable from the turntable and still the sound persists, don't get me wrong..it's still working and making great music, but this just happens sporadically.
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/cwOFAFhZpaM?si=JC0vw818kJErDYHK
It sounds on the recording like static, a bit like if you touch the needle or an RCA isn't plugged in properly. It sounds like you have gone through all the obvious things like changing out the cable and imputs on the emp. The only other one is the earth/ground.

Sounds from other replies that you have tried it with an onboard stage on the amp, if that works works you have realistically isolated the issues to the phono stage. Its probably a bad connection or a dried out capacitor. Probably going to have to be a return or repair!

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
It sounds on the recording like static, a bit like if you touch the needle or an RCA isn't plugged in properly. It sounds like you have gone through all the obvious things like changing out the cable and imputs on the emp. The only other one is the earth/ground.

Sounds from other replies that you have tried it with an onboard stage on the amp, if that works works you have realistically isolated the issues to the phono stage. Its probably a bad connection or a dried out capacitor. Probably going to have to be a return or repair!
Hi Andy..yes..it does really sound like static....and I have isolated the problem to the Lehmann phono stage.....I have played records from the turntable into my brooklyn bridge, using it's onboard phono stage and using it's line level input with the Lehmann audio decade......the Lehmann audio decade is stilll noisy and the onboard phono stage is working as expected.

Fandango Andy

Hi Andy..yes..it does really sound like static....and I have isolated the problem to the Lehmann phono stage.....I have played records from the turntable into my brooklyn bridge, using it's onboard phono stage and using it's line level input with the Lehmann audio decade......the Lehmann audio decade is stilll noisy and the onboard phono stage is working as expected.

Does it use xlr cables? If so, I'm guessing you swapped them at the same time as the RCA.

How old is it? I am still thinking of a dry capacitor. You mention sending it back to Germany, if you don't have a warranty to invalidate, is it worth getting someone local to have a look.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Does it use xlr cables? If so, I'm guessing you swapped them at the same time as the RCA.

How old is it? I am still thinking of a dry capacitor. You mention sending it back to Germany, if you don't have a warranty to invalidate, is it worth getting someone local to have a look.
The Lehmann just has rca inputs and outputs, although the power supply has, what looks like a din cable, which I don't have a spare to try out, as for somebody local to have a look at it, I haven't a clue where to start looking, I'm in s/w Scotland, any dealership in Glasgow ( closest)to me) would probably send it to the manufacturer I would have thought.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts