Amp & turntable ideas

RuskinSound

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Our two Tannoys still work after 25 years (manual photo attached) and after storing them in dry conditions we want to play them again through a used amp and turntable (non-streaming/USB) before perhaps buying new in the future. Thing is, we have no idea what brands to consider nowadays. We want a bright sound and our room isn't large but I'm mindful that we could easily buy a combo that dulls those Tannoys. Richer Sounds recommended Cambridge and Audio Lab so should we look for those out there on the Used marketplaces? Also, we'll buy new cabling as the existing are oxidised.

Many thanks,
Ruskin.

IMG_5879.jpg

I would stay clear of Cambridge Audio. Think more like Marantz or Rotel for amplifier, making sure they have an internal phono stage, and buy the best turntable you can afford from the likes of Project, Rega, Technics etc.
Better still just do plenty of research as to what might be available locally.

Reactions: RuskinSound

RuskinSound

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Thanks Al. I didn't put a budget on the OP because I'm going to buy used and so don't have much of an idea what the recommended brands would cost as s/h. However, if I were to put up a cost for a used amp and turntable, I'd say £5-600?

Again, thank you.

RuskinSound

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I would stay clear of Cambridge Audio. Think more like Marantz or Rotel for amplifier, making sure they have an internal phono stage, and buy the best turntable you can afford from the likes of Project, Rega, Technics etc.
Better still just do plenty of research as to what might be available locally.
Aha, so not Cambridge! I'll look for those brands. And helpful advice about the turntable too. Last question though, do amps typically have a lifespan - a factor I should consider when buying Used? Thanks.

Hmm, the modern stuff lasting less time is what I suspected. Used electronics are a minefield.
Not what I meant.
Components like capacitors have a limited life span, with modern kit it's cheap components and poor quality control that can, not always, be the issue.
Things are going to fail regardless of age and usage. Turntable belts perish etc.
If you buy second-hand then great but these things will always be an issue as to whether it was a good buy or not.

Is it the Mercurys you have? They were by far the biggest seller in the UK. Hopefully the wiring you’re looking to replace wasn’t with the speakers, because if cables have actually oxidised then I’d be concerned about the speakers.

Anyway, pace the less than enthusiastic advice above re Cambridge, I was thinking you should at least hear this setup, as it’s a great buy imo. The speakers are trying to appeal to everyone, just as your Tannoys did all those decades ago. The turntable is decent and the amp will do a good job too - and it’s all guaranteed. £599 for the lot!

If you insist on used, then I’d get a recent Marantz PM6006UK for around £250 and take a look at the new Rega P1 ECO for £199 - it’s a hundred quid less because it’s slightly imperfect. But a bargain, and you can treat yourself to a £100 cartridge upgrade with the change.

Last edited:

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Richer Sounds would recommend Cambridge Audio, being their sole high street vendor. As far as turntables go, you can’t go wrong with the Rega P1 recommended previously; it’s an outstanding budget turntable. You may even find a used P2 for £250, which is a small but noticeable step-up.
What specs are the Tannoys? Sensitivity? Recommended power?
Appreciate you like a ‘clear’ sound but don’t expect your amp to provide this. Your source and speakers will dictate that.

Reactions: RuskinSound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts