Question Amp Pairing for Technics 1200G / Rega Aria / B&W 606S3??

Dave Digs DIY

Jul 3, 2024
Visit site
Hello well informed people.

I was lucky enough to be gifted a Technics SL1200G by my wonderful wife for our anniversary and I hooked it up to my existing Yamaha RX-V677 and an old pair of B&W 601S3’s with a Rega Aria phone stage - sound is ok I guess but I know it could be much better!

I am about to upgrade the speakers to newer B&W 606S3’s and I’m wondering what amp will do this system justice. Ideally I’d also like to hook up my sub too for extra oomph.

Any advice on the best amp to compliment this system would be hugely appreciated (budget up to £1k’ish)

cheers!!!

Reactions: Amormusic
Hello well informed people.

I was lucky enough to be gifted a Technics SL1200G by my wonderful wife for our anniversary and I hooked it up to my existing Yamaha RX-V677 and an old pair of B&W 601S3’s with a Rega Aria phone stage - sound is ok I guess but I know it could be much better!

I am about to upgrade the speakers to newer B&W 606S3’s and I’m wondering what amp will do this system justice. Ideally I’d also like to hook up my sub too for extra oomph.

Any advice on the best amp to compliment this system would be hugely appreciated (budget up to £1k’ish)

cheers!!!
Are you likely to use streaming or any other sources?
Suggest you look at amplifiers that have the required inputs you need then go audition

This will be used solely for the turntable
In which case you don't need an amplifier that has an inbuilt phono preamp or dac or any other gubbings. Just spend your money on a pure amplifier..... Unfortunately mo st within your budget will come with at least one of these.
I will try to think of some however you shouldn't have any difficulty driving those speakers with any of the usual suspects....
What can you get to audition?

Last edited:

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
I used to be a big B&W fan but when I auditioned the 600 and 700 S2 and S3 I could not believe how rubbish they were when compared to other similar and lower priced speakers...

I know they are loved by WHF and many here but I would urge you to try other speakers.

If you insist on B&Ws then Rotel is the only amp to buy. They are joined at the hip and tuned for B&W speakers.

Always, listen before you buy.

I used to be a big B&W fan but when I auditioned the 600 and 700 S2 and S3 I could not believe how rubbish they were when compared to other similar and lower priced speakers...

I know they are loved by WHF and many here but I would urge you to try other speakers.

If you insist on B&Ws then Rotel is the only amp to buy. They are joined at the hip and tuned for B&W speakers.

Always, listen before you buy.
Those speakers might appear rubbish to you but perhaps not to others and the OP is getting 606 S3, did you audition those?
I would have suggested Rotel but unfortunately, these days, they don't do a "straight" amp so the OP would be paying for bits he doesn't require, which economically doesn't make any sense.
These days you really do need to pay attention to ' bangs per buck' .....

Last edited:

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
The 1200G is a truly fantastic turntable. Seriously good indeed...

I've heard this TT many times and this is my next upgrade (I currently have one model down, the 1210GR).

You do not mention the cartridge you are running? My GR will easily take and show the benefit from a Hana ML (which I've done following multiple cart upgrades), I'm not saying you need one of these, others may be to your preference, but do not scrimp on the cart for your big brother G, as you will also hear the improvement, assuming you don't already have a superb one on your deck.

I also had excellent SQ results by adding a Funk Firm Achromat to my GR.

As for amp... The world is your oyster here...

The G really needs some nice hi-end kit attached to it, a very decent cart, superb phono stage, and rest of the chain amp, speakers etc. It's a seriously good turntable!

Your wife has bought you a wicked present there! Enjoy!

Additionally: it goes without saying and apologies if "teaching granny how to suck eggs", but make sure you spend a good amount of time making sure the TT is absolutely perfectly set up. This alone will make such a huge difference to the sound quality and result you get.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Digs DIY

Gray

I've owned B&W speakers.
It's a bit of a sweeping statement, but you're not alone in stating that Rotel Amps are 'tuned' to B&W speakers.

I'm interested to know, in what way you think they alter the sound of Rotel amps to suit B&W speakers.

Also, bearing in mind that you used to be a B&W fan and now think some current models are rubbish......how would Rotel know whether to tune to the B&W you were a fan of.....or the B&W you think are rubbish?

I've owned B&W speakers.
It's a bit of a sweeping statement, but you're not alone in stating that Rotel Amps are 'tuned' to B&W speakers.

I'm interested to know, in what way you think they alter the sound of Rotel amps to suit B&W speakers.

Also, bearing in mind that you used to be a B&W fan and now think some current models are rubbish......how would Rotel know whether to tune to the B&W you were a fan of.....or the B&W you think are rubbish?
The 'fact' they are tuned to a particular amp is a fallacy....

Reactions: Gray

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
Wow, that provoked a reply or two...

I owned a pair of 683 on a NAD outfit for years and they were great, not much bass and a little on the bright side but the amp had treble and bass control and between those and an ASW610 I fixed that. When I came to upgrade/renew I bought a Cyrus 82 DAC with the QXR upgrade. I used this to audition a number of B&W speaker sets, all of the 600 and 700 series except the the 607 and 707. I also tried some older (second hand) B&Ws floor standers. All of them had little or no base and were often just too top heavy/bright and a couple were best described as 'muddy' sounding.

B&Ws are known to be bright sounding (again mentioned in these pages in a number of reviews) and I found the Cyrus amp to be a little bright too. Not an ideal combination.

In the end I bought Spendor A7s which were head and shoulders better.

I have a second Hi-Fi which is a Vincent hybrid amp (tube and solid state) with Q Acoustic 3030i stand mounts.

The difference between the two systems could not be more marked. The Vincent/Q Acoustic is full bodied and deep. The Cyrus/Spendor much more refined, greater listening depth and you can just hear more of the music but does lack a little depth.

Both systems run subwoofers, the Cyrus has a pair of ASW610 and the Vincent/Q Acoustic a single 2070si.

The later is far 'bassier' system than the Cyrus setup.

My take away/experience is this. Listen before you buy and listen to the combination of components you will be using and not a random selection/component. Listen to a track/album that you know well so you can hear what you are listening to.

I've generally found money not to be too much of a factor because there is a tipping point; the bang for buck increases to a price point and then reduce because you are paying a disproportional amount of money for a small return in sound which is often difficult to hear...

As to Rotel being better suited/tuned to B&W speakers, I have read that in these hallowed pages more than once...

Finally, HI-Fi, like cars, wine, football teams and so many other things is a matter of personal choice and preference which is why everyone owes it to themselves to listen to as many set ups as you can and decide for yourself...

Reactions: Dave Digs DIY

TRENDING THREADS