Amp or AV Receiver? Needs Bluetooth, AirPlay etc

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

First post, thought I'd come and ask for some expert advice.

Currently running Paradigm Mini Minitors with a Paradigm PS1000 sub. Powered currently by an old Denon amp.

I'm looking for a newer Amp that can hook up to iPhone, Bluetooth also.

I'm no audiophile, just looking for a suitable Amp to get the most out of my mostly dub and reggae music that I now stream from Deezer.

Thanks in advance

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If you're wanting to use your phone as well as have Bluetooth capability, I'd suggest you check out the NAD D3020 or the NAD D7050.

Both very capable amplifiers with full digital connectivity, Bluetooth and the D7050 has full wifi networking capability.

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I googled both of those, the 3020 at 30w seems a little weedy, and the 7050 is out of budget - willing to go to £400 tops.

Plus, it looks like neither have a Sub Out - I cannot live without my PS1000 booming out the b-line ;)

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
8Byte said:
Thanks for the response. I googled both of those, the 3020 at 30w seems a little weedy, and the 7050 is out of budget - willing to go to £400 tops.

Plus, it looks like neither have a Sub Out - I cannot live without my PS1000 booming out the b-line ;)

According to NAD they both have sub outputs. Nad are quite fond of including sub woofer/pre out connections.

Also don't be fooled by the 30W output. This is another thing NAD excel at, their amps generally sound a lot bigger than the RMS figures suggest. You'll find the amp will deliver 30W of un distorted power and will be capable of more than 100W of clean dynamic power.

For your budget and requirements I doubt you'll find a more suitable amp to be honest.

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, on checking it does say thete is a Sub Out - I got thrown by the pic of the rear...

nad-d3020-dac-usb-ampli-stereo-bluetooth_060033_060033.jpg

I'm still not sold on spec or looks, but I'll find a stockist and have a listen. Thx.

Any other suggestions? Airplay or Bluetooth. If I really had to, I could go to £500.

rainsoothe

Hi.

There be a review in another magazine about Micromega Myamp, and it has very similar specs to the Nad (even the same power rating), but it's not class D, and they say it sounds a bit better and less processed. So try to give that a look/listen as well. Same price also i think.

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
What about an AV Amp / Receiver like the Sony STR-DN1040?[/b]

At £349 with Airplay, WiFi, USB, plus internet radio, it seems incredible value for a 5 Star Product of the Year - so what's the downside?[/b]

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
8Byte said:
What about an AV Amp / Receiver like the Sony STR-DN1040?

At £349 with Airplay, WiFi, USB, plus internet radio, it seems incredible value for a 5 Star Product of the Year - so what's the downside?

it won´t sound nearly as good as named NAD´s.Question is do you need the better sound of the Nad?Depends on your speakers.The higher quality the speakers are the more you will benefit and notice the superiority of an better amp and so better sound quality.

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Esra said:
It won´t sound nearly as good as named NAD´s.Question is do you need the better sound of the Nad?Depends on your speakers.The higher quality the speakers are the more you will benefit and notice the superiority of an better amp and so better sound quality.

Won't sound nearly as good to who though? The trained ear?

My needs are fairly simplistic, I like my music loud but distortion free, I have no real requirements beyond that - however I am here to listen and take advice on board.

If you think a dedicated Amp will really deliver that much more in terms of sound quality - even to my uncultured ears - then I'm prepared to take that advice and buy accordingly.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure you could easily decide which device sounds better if you do A+B comparison between the Sony and the NAD with a good/revealing speaker like to name a cheaper one ex. a q-acoustics concept 20 .Even a double priced AVR won´t get it near the NAD in stereo mode.Nothing to do with cultured/uncultured ears.It´s difficult as I don´t know how good your speakers are and if you would get a considerable better result with a dedicated amp like the NAD in combination with your speakers.

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I knew this would happen... the more I read, the more I want.

I now find myself thinking about the NAD D3020 AND a new set of Klipsch RB-51 speakers. HiFi is dangerous!!

Assuming a £500 budget for new speakers to mate with the D3020.... any recommendations? I'm also considering a second-hand pair of TDL RTL3 I've found online for under £100.

I'm all about bass, music is reggae, funk, jazz, in that order.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Depends how big your room is.Look out for high sensitive speakers.Usually standfloor are more sensitive and have better bass.The NAD as amp has a good bass.

Within your budget Q-Acoustics concept 20 are a good start for the NAD as bookshelf or Monitor Audio Silver 2 and Dali Zensor 3.Q-acoustics 2050i as floorstand or sec. hand Monitor Audio RX6.These will work/synergy well with the NAD.If you prefer bookshelf you can always ad a sub if needed.I see you have a sub already.

Don´t overgo the other option with the bluetooth adapter for your denon amp as this device provides a really good sound.Depending how well and strong your denon is this option would provide more to spend on better speakers.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at the specs and NAD D 3020 is 30W RMS in 8 ohms, no rating for 4 ohms. It goes 65W/8ohms and 105W/4ohms by IHF rating, that is its absolute maximum power it can deliver in very short bursts during music passages and every watt beyond that is pure distortion and clipping. Not much headroom there.

Is it good enough for those little Paradigm mini monitors (90dB, 8 ohms, 75Hz low end, ferro-fluid cooled tweeters)? Yes it is. But then again anything is.

The OP is not an audiophile and cannot justify buying a £400 internet-modem-sized toy amp because it has special sound. He wants his kg/£, something to carry with both hands, open up with a kitchen chopping knife, stroke its glassy plastic panel, get lost in the gazillion options in the manual, tell his guests it's a 5 star rated product, shout at the wife "don't touch that!" etc.

So, any AVRs that sound good in stereo and have every connectivity he needs?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The NAD is not that bad as you think Vlad.It can even drive Kef LS50 at decent levels without distortion and it sounds damn good with them considering the price.

It runs pretty hot though,can´t say something about durability,guess it would blow up itself after guaranty time;-).For me it was too hot.

But for other speakers with higher sensivity I would see no problem the Nad driving them healthy as it is stronger than the specs.

If I was the OP I would go the bluetooth adapter way since he is not audiophile and doesn´t need new stuff except digital connectivity as I understand.But need and want are different shoes as we all know.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
My avr is class d and it runs pretty hot too although i use external amps.hope nothing is wrong.

the nad run hot with the kef but didnt shut down.with other speakers it less hot.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Far from being a bad amp. I just don't think we should force feed it to our OP for reasons I've illustrated in my previous post. He is more comfortable with a classical 430cm wide box. Maybe he would expand to 5.1 or 7.1 HT in the future.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Its not a Class-D, its a hybrid. The driver stage is transistors running in Class A.

NAD_brandintro.jpg

Those JH caps are total rubbish. Sitting so close to hot heatsinks they will barely outlive the warranty period and go bad. Good thing recapping is cheap and easy DIY.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A 30wpc Class A amp that can deliver 100wpc ('Dynamic power' whatever that is) into 4 ohms for peaks would melt the NAD's casing unless it had massive heatsinks sticking out the back and the sides..

There is Class D doing the 'heavy lifting' no matter what that little gizmo says on it.

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Vlads summary of my needs, and indeed of me, was perfect!

I'm no audiophile - I listen to music when I am partying, I want the bass of Natural Mystic by Marley to make me smile, that's about all I need. My musical needs are probably that of a teenager, loud but no distortion.

I like my Paradigm speakers, monitors and sub - they deliver on that remit.

The deal now is I'm wanting to upgrade - but for modernity and convenience rather than quality - thus AirPlay, Bluetooth etc,.

I have shortlisted a Sony 1040 / 1050, and an Onkyo 727. The NAD D3020 currently sits in 3rd place.

In answer to an earlier question, it's a big room, 30' x 15', marble floor, high lofted ceiling with exposed beams and wood - partly why I was considering Klipsch RB-81 speaker upgrade, partly why I fear the NAD may not fill the room.

And yes, I may go to 5.1 in the future - so Paradigm monitors can be relegated to use as rears if I buy the Klipsch RB-81's. Current TV sound is via a cheapo Sony Blueray all-in-one package with junk speakers bought for about £300 - ultimately that will get relegated to a sons bedroom.

Hope that helps people to drill down a recommendation.

P.S. Vlad, whilst reading another thread here, I found your recommendation for Liquid Spirit by Gregory Porter - what an absolutely awesome album. Just for that alone, thanks!

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
In fact, let's get right down to brass tacks - is there a particular brand of AVR that is reputed to do 'decent' stereo? Because that'd be plenty good enough for my meagre needs. Will spend up to £1000, £500 each on AVR and speakers.

Guide me, because I'm a: useless, and b: impulsive - so if I walk into a shop I'll end up buying something that isn't best suited.

Cheers *drinks*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts