Question Smaller AMP suggestions

Brutaluc

Nov 9, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I could use some help. Recently moved and got my own place, sadly my old Luxman AMP no longer fits into my current furniture so I'm looking to replace it.
Mostly I'm limited by the available width of the space where it is to be placed. The new AMP would have to be 38 cm or less wide.
For connectivity I need a minimum of a phono in (to connect my Thorens TD160). And and output capable of handling a set of passive speakers (currently got a set of Wharfedale Linton speakers but I'm seriously considering replacing with a floorstanding set of Wharfedale Diamonds or maybe Dali Oberons at a later date).
Besides that I would like to be able to connect with Bluetooth (before running into this problem I was planning to get a separate receiver for this, but might as well aim to combine it now).
And a big bonus would be manually adjustable bass and treble.

I've been searching by myself for a bit and am mostly looking to find more options besides the ones I've managed to come up with so far. Sadly searching based on size of amps seems to be not that easy. Only amp I'm currently really considering is the Argon Audio SA1.

Budget would be up to around 500 Euros.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Gray

Sadly searching based on size of amps seems to be not that easy.
I'm not surprised.
I use a Cyrus amp and although it's only half-width, (so would probably allow for a separate BTooth receiver and stowed-away phono preamp), I always hate to see people's choices being so severely limited.
Personally, there's no way I would allow any furniture to dictate my equipment choice, it would have to be the other way round.
No doubt someone will suggest something small enough if, for you, furniture must take priority.
Good luck with your search.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
That Argon amplifier looks great. I doubt you can better features per pound. Money back guarantee too so no risk whatsoever.

Low (and high) cost Class D amplification are not my thing. I find they still have traits that don't suit my listening hence I changed my active Class D systems back to legacy components. - However, they also have abilities which make them ideal for certain folks, the better ones anyway.

They usually have a fast sound with great bass control. So if you have larger speakers with difficult to control woofers and warm sound they may suit.

Worth a try.

An other option may be ;

https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-38743-nad-d-3020-v2-integrated-amplifier-dac.aspx

Last edited:
Well, it has certainly sverved off-track a little from his original brief ...
Which just goes to show that what he is looking for either a) does not exist or b) is going to be more than his budget.
He says the only one he is currently considering is the Argon Audio SA1, as to why I don't know because this doesn't fulfill his brief (no separate base and treble controls)
Heartily agree with @Grays' comment above

Brutaluc

Nov 9, 2021
Visit site
It is interesting to note that the OP has not returned to this thread.... have we frightened him off??
No worries, you haven't! I'm enjoying the conversation, just used an automatically generated password that was only on a specific pc. One I don't use on a daily basis.

Also I'm very pleased with the amount of replies and suggestions.

That Argon amplifier looks great. I doubt you can better features per pound. Money back guarantee too so no risk whatsoever.
Looks like it so far, yet I'm not convinced by it. Don't know why really, but I'm not having the "I want that"-feeling

He's out buying furniture that will accommodate the amp he's got (if he's got any sense).
Said he was sad to be giving up his Luxman :unsure:
Why be sad? Just get yer priorities straight mate ;)
Just spent a fortune on the furniture and the only thing I'm sad about is the amp not fitting in there. It sits on top at the moment in an encasing I made years ago. It is just a small disappointment that it is now not looking as was planned. Also I'm not giving up my old amp, it is doing it's job right now and will continue to do so, just not in the living room

That is one of the few I had seen, but it convinces me even less compared to the Argon one

The Rega Io meets his budget being £379...
Not sure on this one yet, added it to the list to do some research on

...the Luxman was humour.... which was obviously missed. :)
It wasn't missed by me! Beautiful amp. Sadly very much overof the amount of money I'm willing to spent

The leak 130 should match the size you are looking for and has the connections you need, I think.
This one I really, really like the look of. Going to have to think on that, might be worth waiting a month or two to expand the budget a bit. I'm not willing to go over that amount though.
Gives me some more time to look around as well.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS