Amp or AV Receiver? Needs Bluetooth, AirPlay etc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The Sony STR-DN1050 is supposedly pretty good with music, alternatively Arcam AV receivers seem to prioritise sound over features so you maybe able to pick one up ex-dem/2nd hand within budget (Arcam have just brought in a new line of recievers so the older ones are being sold off much cheaper - the AVR300 as an example).

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I like the look of those Vladimir - I have sent an email to Nintronics asking if they can deliver to me here in Fuerteventura.

Amp is increasingly looking like it will be Sony 1040 or 1050.

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
STRDN1040 Sony ordered from Richer Sounds, at £349 it was too good to resist.

So another question.... It's a 7.2 Amp, but I read this...

With the channels switched to 5.1, bi-amping gives separate amplification to your front speakers' bass and treble units (bi-wirable front speakers required). This gives added control and a wider, more dynamic sound - both in stereo and surround modes.

Is it worth getting bi-wirable front speakers? What will I gain? Are those Focal Chorus 816Vs bi-wirable? If not, should I be considering others?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Not much gained IMO. Only biamping worthy of consideration is with seperate monoaural power amps and active crossover. AVR internal biamping is as far away from that as possible.

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
OK, bi-wiring dismissed.

I'm in Fuerteventura, Canary Islands (or Las Palmas in Espanol) - got Amp coming from UK, not so much luck with Focals though. Nintronics are forbidden to ship to me here.

Whilst looking for a supplier, I found them for €499 from www.eshop.nl in Netherlands, seems a crazy price!?!

Vladimir... in your honour, first tune played on this system will be Gregory Porter - but second might be Get Ready by Congo Natty ;)

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I will contact Focal, but even Spanish supplier may not ship here - these remote Islands are a nice place to live, but shopping/delivery sucks.

I may order from Nintronics as I have a container shipment coming from UK, but it arrives here November 15th - can you imagine the agony of knowing I have bought them, but still have to wait 2 months before I can listen to them!?!

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
hi, try to contact novomusica shop ... they do free shipmants in Spain, don't know how is it with Canary Islands. I have bought my amp from them and service is realy good.

8Byte

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Thx Tomas, I'll try them.

Nintronics now only have 1 left :(

There is a local stockist here selling Klipsch RB81 for €498 the pair - I can have them here in 45 minutes :)

Anyone have any thoughts on the Klipsch option?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If your room is 30'x15' bookshelf speakers wont fill it up with sound very well. Especially not Klipsch or Monitor Audio. IMO floorstanders are a better option.

Although the Klipsch monitors are quite loud, they don't have a full body bass, just a strong midbass thump. They will need a good sub to fill in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts