Audiolab Omnia or something else

zak99

Dec 24, 2021
Visit site
Looked at the Omnia yonks back but didnt get around to it and now see its discontinued and available at only £800.. But wondering should I give thought to some other options. I think the Naim Uniti options are a bit of a stretch on my budget.

My wife needs an easy to use CD player, she's very much a technophobe but it would be nice to think she might eventually use the streaming from her just about managed iPhone and iPad. What are the easiest reliable hook up app's etc for her to possibly use streaming please. Bluetooth, Airplay, DTS Play-Fi ?

I'm currently using Deezer but would perhaps change if I could make streaming more likely for my technophobe

I suppose other options could be a NAD C658 plus a NAD CD deck, or maybe NAD M10 v2 plus a CD deck which would be a different size I guess

Thoughts and other suggestions welcome please?

Last edited:
Looked at the Omnia yonks back but didnt get around to it and now see its discontinued and available at only £800.. But wondering should I give thought to some other options. I think the Naim Uniti options are a bit of a stretch on my budget.

My wife needs an easy to use CD player, she's very much a technophobe but it would be nice to think she might eventually use the streaming from her just about managed iPhone and iPad. What are the easiest reliable hook up app's etc for her to possibly use streaming please. Bluetooth, Airplay, DTS Play-Fi ?

I'm currently using Deezer but would perhaps change if I could make streaming more likely for my technophobe

I suppose other options could be a NAD C658 plus a NAD CD deck, or maybe NAD M10 v2 plus a CD deck which would be a different size I guess

Thoughts and other suggestions welcome please?
There's also the Technics Ottava but this is a bit more expensive than the current price for the Omnia.

Last edited:
Reactions: zak99

daytona600

Elipson Music Centre

podknocker

I have an Omnia and it works OK after a servo update for the CD drive. Bear in mind that the CD drawer is the flimsiest one in the world and if you catch it, it will snap off. Apart from this, it's quite a good product, if you don't use the DTS PlayFi app with Windows. It works OK with a phone though. £800 is a bargain for what you get.

matthewpianist

There's also the Technics Ottava but this is a bit more expensive than the current price for the Omnia.

SA-C600 is the Technics unit you need. The SC-C70Mk2 is an excellent unit but has built-in speakers and no option to add external ones. Operationally the two models are the same.

Reactions: zak99 and Al ears

podknocker

I'm not sure how reliable the review is, but a loose, honking bass, with the built in speakers might be one to avoid. I had a JVC Boomblaster many years ago and I thought it sounded OK, until I bought a Denon micro system and separate speakers. Having something like the Technics SC-C70Mk2 might sound like a ghetto blaster on steroids. I entered ghetto blaster into google and this Technics did show up! The SA-C600 is a better option.

zak99

Dec 24, 2021
Visit site
I have an Omnia and it works OK after a servo update for the CD drive. Bear in mind that the CD drawer is the flimsiest one in the world and if you catch it, it will snap off. Apart from this, it's quite a good product, if you don't use the DTS PlayFi app with Windows. It works OK with a phone though. £800 is a bargain for what you get.
Mmmm the flimsy CD drawer sounds disappointing. We are Mac, Ipad and Iphone users.

matthewpianist

I have a pair of never used Wharfdale Diamond in the loft, I think they are 9.1. But willing to change the speakers if necessary.

The Diamond 9.1s are a solid little speaker and perfectly good enough to get you going, with a view to changing them once you get used to the sound and know if you need to change and what you are looking for from a change.

In your position I would be going NAD, and probably the M10v2. I've heard one and was very impressed, and if I find myself with the money I may eventually go that way myself, though I'm very happy with what I have. I am a long-term fan of NAD but perfectly open to not liking something with the name on. You may want to look at one of Project's CD players which are very compact and perform well.

zak99

Dec 24, 2021
Visit site
The Diamond 9.1s are a solid little speaker and perfectly good enough to get you going, with a view to changing them once you get used to the sound and know if you need to change and what you are looking for from a change.

In your position I would be going NAD, and probably the M10v2. I've heard one and was very impressed, and if I find myself with the money I may eventually go that way myself, though I'm very happy with what I have. I am a long-term fan of NAD but perfectly open to not liking something with the name on. You may want to look at one of Project's CD players which are very compact and perform well.
Thanks Mathew, I did look at the Nad M10v2 in the past, lovely thing although the lack of matching CD drive was a niggle. I'd not heard of Project so will take a look. I see the Evo 150 is often favourably reviewed against the M10v2 which does have a matching CD drive but £££. So many options, so much to learn, its tempting to creep the budget (perhaps unnecessarily 🙄) but then I've been keen for a decent system since my Quad 33/303 set was stolen many years back. For years I'd used Rotel 820 and Arcam Alpha 7 CD which are still in the loft with the 9.1's.

matthewpianist

Thanks Mathew, I did look at the Nad M10v2 in the past, lovely thing although the lack of matching CD drive was a niggle. I'd not heard of Project so will take a look. I see the Evo 150 is often favourably reviewed against the M10v2 which does have a matching CD drive but £££. So many options, so much to learn, its tempting to creep the budget (perhaps unnecessarily 🙄) but then I've been keen for a decent system since my Quad 33/303 set was stolen many years back. For years I'd used Rotel 820 and Arcam Alpha 7 CD which are still in the loft with the 9.1's.

Why not start with the system you have in the loft. Spend a few weeks with it to help you work out what you want from a new system, and then visit a dealer to try the options you are considering. It might test your patience but could lead to better long-term satisfaction.

zak99

Dec 24, 2021
Visit site
Why not start with the system you have in the loft. Spend a few weeks with it to help you work out what you want from a new system, and then visit a dealer to try the options you are considering. It might test your patience but could lead to better long-term satisfaction.
Thanks Matthew, sage advice. I'll dig out my old kit over christmas. I ordered a WiiM Pro to add to it to satisfy my streaming curiosity for now.

Reactions: matthewpianist

mikeyc38

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi Zak
As Al suggested I ended up buying a Technics Ottava sc70 mk2 because we downsized our home and there was not enough room to set up my audiolab 8000/8000px 8200cd and mission 782 speakers. I found the sound of the Technics to be surprisingly good. It has good levels of clarity, sound staging and bass. Not as good as my audiolab bi-amped setup but good enough and the comprise to make when you are married!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts