SVS streaming amp.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

podknocker

Cheers Jason. I don't want replace my TV video cabinet and some stuff will be too deep to fit. Height and width is not such an issue, but I know the Marantz M1 and the Denon Home Amp and most of the NAD amps will easily fit. I did consider the Roksan a while back, but it's fairly deep and class A/B. Many people like the sound, but there are a few people troubled by noise on one channel. No thanks! I'm not returning to full width and deep products, now streaming amps are class D and tiny. They are also 95% efficient and my energy bills have increased while working from my flat, with the PC, screen and HIFI on for 12 or 13 hours a day!

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Cheers Jason. I don't want replace my TV video cabinet and some stuff will be too deep to fit. Height and width is not such an issue, but I know the Marantz M1 and the Denon Home Amp and most of the NAD amps will easily fit. I did consider the Roksan a while back, but it's fairly deep and class A/B. Many people like the sound, but there are a few people troubled by noise on one channel. No thanks! I'm not returning to full width and deep products, now streaming amps are class D and tiny. They are also 95% efficient and my energy bills have increased while working from my flat, with the PC, screen and HIFI on for 12 or 13 hours a day!
No worries Pod. Yes agree, class D's are way more efficient. If the apple drops on my head, I'll get back to you :)

Reactions: podknocker

podknocker

The Naim Uniti Atom was on my list years ago, but they've annoyed me by releasing a headphone version alongside the speaker version. No point having 2 products when 1 could easily cover all bases. What really put me off was the price. The Atom started at £1999 and went up to £2499 although I think it's settled somewhere in between and many sites are asking £2299 now. I still think it's expensive and underpowered. Naim have started dipping their toes into class D stuff, so I would like to see a very powerful class D version of the Atom, with both speaker and headphone options included. I think it's exciting to see all these streaming amps emerge from an increasing number of companies, all trying to offer newer and improved features etc.

Jasonovich

The apple hasn't dropped on my head yet, more like a walnut :)!
I was looking for tube headphone amp for the bedroom and I stumbled across this, may not be your thing.
Small form format The Shanling D class streamer DAC amp, not everyone is comfortable shopping on AliExpress and I completely understand, maybe Shanging has a UK dealership?

Anyway, food for thought :)

Update, no sorry, it's head amp!

twinkletoes

I was looking for tube headphone amp for the bedroom and I stumbled across this, may not be your thing.
Small form format The Shanling D class streamer DAC amp, not everyone is comfortable shopping on AliExpress and I completely understand, maybe Shanging has a UK dealership?

no need for that horrible site, ive been looking that there CD transport

podknocker

Update, no sorry, it's head amp!
Shanling and WiiM are doing separate amp and streamer now, along with Eversolo and I'm still waiting for Eversolo to release a one box system. I won't buy a 2 box solution now and it's going to have to be just the one device. I will try and demo the SVS and the M1 at RS and hopefully through similar speakers. I can see a speaker upgrade coming over the horizon not much later!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Fandango Andy

The speakers are positioned OK and with a slight toe in. The bass boom has gone since I shoved the foam bungs in and they sound OK, but I need something quicker and brighter. I'm not too bothered about having more bass, but a tighter and more textured bass would be good. I think the combo I have was always destined to sound a bit soft and dull and laid back. It's only bothered my since I listened to Spotify via the Sennheiser cans, plugged into my new Windows 11 PC. It just makes you realise how good headphones and audio chips are these days. My Omnia and speakers do give me things the headphones can't so I won't be going headphones only. It all sounds lovely and fairly clean and there are no anomalies to ruin the experience, I just need a bit more pizzazz! I will try and demo some new class D streamers at Richer Sounds in a few weeks. I know the listening room will sound different to my living room so it's not a perfect exercise. I do intend buying a TV eventually and have this through the amp, so I will need something to give vocals a bit of a lift. I listen to podcasts and speech does seem to be a little distant and in the background with my current system. It's all a bit dark sounding and I do think it's both the Omnia and speakers. They are designed to be pleasant sounding and not offend with anything you play. I'm after something with more bite and detail, especially in the treble.
I'm not a fan of headphones. I would much rather have a pair of speakers in front of me. I know many people prefer headphones for music, it's not right or wrong, just personal preference.

If you need to put bungs in you speakers they are almost certainly too close to the wall do you have an option to move them out a little? I have Q Acoustics in my AV setup, I have bungs in the side and rears as they are on wall brackets, but not in the front or middle.

If you get a chance to demo the amps, it's worth asking if you can have a day or two home trial of the one you like most.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts