Amp comes up with strange error message when playing LP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

If got a bit of a problem: My amp (It's not really an amp, it's a sony str de-205 fm/am receiver) stops playing any vinyl from my omnitronic Lp player and vsays "PROTECT" whenever I turn the music up a little.

Has anyone had the same problem ever? What could I do (apart from buying a new amp, which I am sort of planing to do anyway)?

Thanks, v

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your quick reply!

It does have a phono input. What do you mean when you say "clipping"? (sorry, english is my second language). It is a new problem, I didn't have it before. I connected it to new speakers (mordaunt short mezzo 2) recently. I am not sure if this has something to do with it!?

link

Feb 13, 2009
Visit site
sorry i cant be of help as i have no idea for the receiver. maybe some mezzo 2 owners can give some inputs regarding the impedance of your speaker.

A

Anonymous

I'm biwiring the speakers, although it is a real mess, as you have to clamp them in and it doesn't really fit. But yeah, I biwire them in an ugly way.

A

Anonymous

I don't think the speakers work if they are not biwired. I mean, if I put them into A speaker and B speaker and then activate them both, I only hear half of the sound.

link

Feb 13, 2009
Visit site
i did not get you on this one. mezzo 2s have jumper on the binding post right? all you have to do is connect speaker wire on their respective lower frequency binding post and the connect it to the left or right channel on the speaker A of your receiver. if you biwire them, you have to remove the jumper on the back of the speaker.

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Is the Omnitronic a DJ deck and if so are you connecting it through a mixer?

If so, you may be putting the signal through 2 phono stages - one in the mixer and a second in the amp. I guess this would cause some sort of protection cut out to kick in.

If you are using a mixer, attach the mixer output to a different line level source i.e. AUX, but anything other than PHONO should be fine.

Otherwise connect the deck directly to the amps PHONO in.

The same applies if the deck has an inbuilt phono stage, in which case turn it off or plug the turntable into a line level input (AUX etc.)

A

Anonymous

No it doesn't. Just Phono. I really don't get what it might be. I don't have a mixer in between by the way.

link

Feb 13, 2009
Visit site
dont biwire your speaker, connect only one set of wire to speaker A terminal and use your speaker's jumper and see how it goes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts