Scraping sound, or distortion in speakers with my new Quad Vena

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi all

I recently bought an old Quad Vena amp from second hand shop. The shop always test their amps before selling them to ensure that they are 100 % okey.
I noticed some sort of scraping sound when using the amp. I do not know how to describe excactly what it sounds like, but it's like if you take a pieace of paper and drag it along an uneven surface. It is some sort of scraping sound. (Like a distortion?) This does not occure everythime. It comes and goes. I do not hear it when I play music that has a more low frequency such as alot of bas like in techno music, but when I am playing acoustic music, especially something instrumental like piano covers, then the scraping sound appears. But not everytime... I have tried switching cables and tried different speakers but it is still there. It is a problem that is very hard to define or locate. The speakers that I have used are my B&W 686 S1 and Dali Suite 2.8.

Could it have to do something with the amp is incompatible with my B&W?
The rated power output for the Quad is 2 x 45W ( 8Ω ) and my B&W have a recommended power output between 25W - 100W into 8 ohms. I guess it should be just okey right?
EDIT! I am using Bi-Wiring on the speakers and my only source of music is Spotify which I stream via bluetooth to my amp or through Chromecast audio.

Here is a sample that I have recorded at home, please find a link to a youtube video somewhere below. Note that the diskant on my B&W are dented but I assure you that it is not the problem, and the scraping noise sounded on my Dalis also, which are in a perfect condition.

View: https://youtu.be/9EA1tHN5iYo

Last edited:

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
If the problem wasn't there before you got this amp and appeared straight afterwards, the amp would seem to be the likely culprit. Do you have another amp you can swap in and see whether the problem goes away?

Unfortunately I do not have another amp. I put my old Denon amp out for sale and it was gone before i could say Quad...
But when I spoke to the shop that sold this amp they assured they had done several test to ensure the quad was okey....

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
If I read you correctly and you have two pairs of speakers, does the problem occur with both?

I wouldn't necessarily be taking the shop's word on this one.

Yes that is correct. The scraping sound was heard on my B&W 686, and then I connected my Dali suite 2.8 and I still had the same scraping sound problem.

Too many variables but it doesn't sound right at all. If your previous amp didn't do this the take the Quad back.
You mentioned biwiring. Can you simply it to use a single pair? Do you have it can you borrow a CD player to try that as a source? The streaming could be the source of the interference but I doubt it.
I would take the amp back along with your Chromecast to the shop and get them to connect speakers and then see if it continues to be a problem. If it does demand your money back.

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
I’m puzzled. The Quad Vena is surely only a few years old. What do you mean by ‘old’? Secondhand, obviously, but how old?

Scraping sound could be a dodgy capacitor giving an occasional crackle.
With old I mean like 6-8 years old. I am not sure when Quad Vena was produced. But there is a newer Quad Vena 2 out now. So that is what I meant with old.

Reactions: Al ears

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
Too many variables but it doesn't sound right at all. If your previous amp didn't do this the take the Quad back.
You mentioned biwiring. Can you simply it to use a single pair? Do you have it can you borrow a CD player to try that as a source? The streaming could be the source of the interference but I doubt it.
I would take the amp back along with your Chromecast to the shop and get them to connect speakers and then see if it continues to be a problem. If it does demand your money back.

I am quite new at this. But I don’t have any other speaker cables than my bi-wire cables to test. Nor do I have any other music sources than playing from Spotify through the chrome cast. But I have also streamed music from Spotify via the Bluetooth aptx directly to the Venas DAC. And the scraping noise is still there. But as I mentioned earlier. Sometimes it is not there. When I played this morning it was present. Currently right now as I am writing this text the Vena is playing perfectly.
It is not so simple to take it back to the shop with my chrome cast as you mentioned, because I live far away from the shop. I’ve bought it from their webpage.

I am quite new at this. But I don’t have any other speaker cables than my bi-wire cables to test. Nor do I have any other music sources than playing from Spotify through the chrome cast. But I have also streamed music from Spotify via the Bluetooth aptx directly to the Venas DAC. And the scraping noise is still there. But as I mentioned earlier. Sometimes it is not there. When I played this morning it was present. Currently right now as I am writing this text the Vena is playing perfectly.
It is not so simple to take it back to the shop with my chrome cast as you mentioned, because I live far away from the shop. I’ve bought it from their webpage.
I see. Whatever it does appear that this problem has only presented itself since you bought the Vena, is this correct?

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
I see. Whatever it does appear that this problem has only presented itself since you bought the Vena, is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. I didn’t have this problem when I had my old Denon PMA-1500AE.

I would normally and easily say yes it is probably the Vena. But since I am new in the HiFi world I thought maybe it has something to do with my new amp (Vena) being not compatible with my current speakers.

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
I have not thought about listening on my headphones, I thought it would be enough by trying 2 different pairs of speakers. I could try with my headphones tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the tip!
I am located Sweden.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I own that amp and I've never experienced that problem. I've used two different types of speakers and both play fine.

I'd suggest you pack it up and sod the inconvenience, take it back to the shop and get your money back, don't take no for an answer.

All the best
Adam

Reactions: Hobnob and Gray

Gray

I have not thought about listening on my headphones, I thought it would be enough by trying 2 different pairs of speakers. I could try with my headphones tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the tip!
I am located Sweden.
The tip obviously doesn't cure your problem.
If headphones work perfectly (unlikely) you would effectively be left with just a headphone amplifier.
It's a shame that getting it back to the shop is inconvenient but, as suggested, it is your best (and only realistic) option.

Reactions: Hobnob and Al ears

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
Whatever, those 686s will need the tweeters replaced. That dent will definitely affect the sound, it happened on my 685 s1

I have consulted an Hifi vendor and they told to just leave it if the speaker still sounds good. And it still does! I was advised to only replace it if it messes up the sound or if I can't stand looking at an indent diskant. =)

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I own that amp and I've never experienced that problem. I've used two different types of speakers and both play fine.

I'd suggest you pack it up and sod the inconvenience, take it back to the shop and get your money back, don't take no for an answer.

All the best
Adam

I did send it back to the retailer earlier today, and I have emailed them my recordings of the noise playing on both the BowerWilkins and Dali speaker. Let's just hope they are kind enough to refund all the money, including the expenses for freight.

Thank you all for your advice and help!

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like a dirty volume pot as much as anything, if the sound crackled like that when you turned the amp up or down without music playing it would be most likely - would also explain why it was sometimes present and sometimes not!

Good luck with the refund, most Hi-Fi dealers are pretty good about these things nowadays! (you'd also be entitled to return it undamaged if it's within 30 days of purchase regardless) (y)

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
Sounds like a dirty volume pot as much as anything, if the sound crackled like that when you turned the amp up or down without music playing it would be most likely - would also explain why it was sometimes present and sometimes not!

Good luck with the refund, most Hi-Fi dealers are pretty good about these things nowadays! (you'd also be entitled to return it undamaged if it's within 30 days of purchase regardless) (y)

Thanks for your input. I have tested to turn the volume up and downs without any music playing, it’s completely silence then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts