Scraping sound, or distortion in speakers with my new Quad Vena

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
Presumably you've heard nothing so far from the retailer since returning your Quad?
They confirmed that they have received the amp. I assume they will contact me next week. But with my bad luck as always they’ll probably dismiss the issue, and saying that they have found nothing wrong with it.

Gray

They confirmed that they have received the amp. I assume they will contact me next week. But with my bad luck as always they’ll probably dismiss the issue, and saying that they have found nothing wrong with it.
I know what you mean about bad luck.....I once bought some batteries and they weren't included.

At least they've received your amp safely, so let's hope for the best (y)

Reactions: Hobnob

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
I know what you mean about bad luck.....I once bought some batteries and they weren't included.

At least they've received your amp safely, so let's hope for the best (y)

Update!

I got an email from them today saying that they have tested the amp for hours and they have identified the crackling sound in left speaker channel. So they will send me a full refund including the shipment. Yeaaj! =)

Dale Stirling

Mar 22, 2021
Visit site
Hi all

I recently bought an old Quad Vena amp from second hand shop. The shop always test their amps before selling them to ensure that they are 100 % okey.
I noticed some sort of scraping sound when using the amp. I do not know how to describe excactly what it sounds like, but it's like if you take a pieace of paper and drag it along an uneven surface. It is some sort of scraping sound. (Like a distortion?) This does not occure everythime. It comes and goes. I do not hear it when I play music that has a more low frequency such as alot of bas like in techno music, but when I am playing acoustic music, especially something instrumental like piano covers, then the scraping sound appears. But not everytime... I have tried switching cables and tried different speakers but it is still there. It is a problem that is very hard to define or locate. The speakers that I have used are my B&W 686 S1 and Dali Suite 2.8.

Could it have to do something with the amp is incompatible with my B&W?
The rated power output for the Quad is 2 x 45W ( 8Ω ) and my B&W have a recommended power output between 25W - 100W into 8 ohms. I guess it should be just okey right?
EDIT! I am using Bi-Wiring on the speakers and my only source of music is Spotify which I stream via bluetooth to my amp or through Chromecast audio.

Here is a sample that I have recorded at home, please find a link to a youtube video somewhere below. Note that the diskant on my B&W are dented but I assure you that it is not the problem, and the scraping noise sounded on my Dalis also, which are in a perfect condition.

View: https://youtu.be/9EA1tHN5iYo
I'm experiencing a similar problem with a used Quad Vena I bought on Reverb two years ago. In just the past 6 months one or both of my Wharfedale 80th Anniversary Denton speakers will fade in and out with a crackling or scraping sound. This occurred prior to and after bi-wiring these speakers. When the sound is clear, the combo of the Wharfedale and Quad is awesome. Through a & b testing I've determined it's not my Music Hall 35.2 CD player, or my restored Pioneer PL-514 turntable, nor interference from my Vincent 2-stage phono-preamp or my Monster Pro-3500 power center. I have a restored Pioneer SA-9100 integrated amp, but my custom-made Morrow speaker cables have bare ends that don't fit into the speaker terminals, so I can't swap it out with the Quad. Therefore, at this time, my assumption is that the Quad amp is the culprit. So now the hunt is on for a comparable/better? bluetooth integrated amp with lots of digital and analog inputs.

Reactions: Hobnob

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
After I’ve sent the my quad back to the retailer I asked them to send a analysis report of what they have tested with some conclusions. I told that if they’re gonna charge me for the shipping then at least I want to know what you have been doing to try to find the problem. The same way you would get an report/receipt of what has been done at the mechanic with your car before you pay. After that I just got an email from them saying that they found the problem and they will do a full refund. The day after the amp was on sale again on their website before it disappeared again to a new owner. I really doubt somehow that they had already fixed it that fast.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Luckily there are a few choices these days, not least the 2nd iteration of the Vena which seems to do well everywhere.

Cyrus One, Yamaha RN803 D, NAD's range of class D integrated amplifiers and probably a few more. Going up in price there are products from Primare, Naim, Hegel etc.

After I’ve sent the my quad back to the retailer I asked them to send a analysis report of what they have tested with some conclusions. I told that if they’re gonna charge me for the shipping then at least I want to know what you have been doing to try to find the problem. The same way you would get an report/receipt of what has been done at the mechanic with your car before you pay. After that I just got an email from them saying that they found the problem and they will do a full refund. The day after the amp was on sale again on their website before it disappeared again to a new owner. I really doubt somehow that they had already fixed it that fast.
Perhaps you should name said dealer...

cracken

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi. I know this is an old post. I just wanted to say i have the exact same problem with my almost 2 year old Quad Vena II.

On top of that, there is extra noise when bluetooth is activated and it can be heard during playback if you listen carefully, there will be crackling and weird electric noise like demonstrated in the video.

Another thing, i have had the left channel not playing much lower on start ups with a cold amp, this comes and goes but only on "cold starts", kinda hard to reproduce for the dealership since it sometimes is ok. It also sound like the left channel is generally lower, not sure how i can test this properly.

Anyway, the first issues should be enough to warrant a replacement or a refund, still have some waranty left on the unit.

It's to bad, cause the sound (-the noise) from the Quad vena II is very good imo. But i wont be choosing Quad again, i've been having enough bad luck with amp's in the past.

vinod2aa

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
I own the Quad Vena since 2018. I also noticed the same scratching noise from left speaker some times when playing in lower volume. I think the issue is with the Alps Potentiometer used in the volume control. I opened the chassis and cleaned the potentiometer using an electronic contact cleaner and resolved this issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts