Age old question, upgade time?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

At the moment I have Yamaha DSP-AX763 with Mordaunt Short Alumni package. Over the last 18 months or so I have really enjoyed both watching movies, and for me the set up has been good enough for the occasional listen to music.

Feel now is a good time to upgrade both components (probably one at a time, absolute bull---- the recession is over). Amp wise I am looking to choose another Yamaha, the RX-v1065 and partner them with either Kefs 2005.3K2 or 3005se package.

Demo's are just about out of the question at the moment even though I am a firm believer 'let your ears choose for you'. Just cannot find the time.

Would either of the suggestions be a worthwhile upgade or will the difference be minimal? One thing in favour of the amp upgrade is more HDMI inputs.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

DJ

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Yes i feel you will notice a step up in quality from the 3005se not so much from the 2005.3 . Amp with give you a better sound but not worth upgrading to the 1065, for the 2005.3 the 2065 would be better for the 3005se. I would go for the Kefs 3005se in silver for £650 try it with your ax763 first then when funds allow upgrade the amp. Or alternative speakers would be the Tannoy Arena-lites at £399 but will need wallmounts and grilles bringing it close the 3005se in price. I demo both and found more detail in the Tannoy's and in the end got a great deal on the Quad-lites with the sub making my mind up. Sub from Quad package weighs 27k and cost £550 on its own.If you fancy traditional speakers the Quad-lite mk11 may be available for £699. Yamaha amp is priced at £680 so if you can afford it i feel that it will bring out alot more from any of the the speakers i mentioned. I would find the time if you can or get a home demo, but i feel you can't go wrong with the Kef 3005se and Yamaha 2065, maybe consider the Denon 2310, but i think there similar price now.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply lobby, good suggestions and must admit have considered all you said except the tannoys, stands and wall mounts are crazy prices which I would need.

As for traditional package the quads seem great as do a few from monitor audio, actually some time ago auditioned the (4 star rated) vectors and to me they sounded terrific, funds were not available at the time but I will have no chance convincing her indoors.

I have seen the 3005se's going for pretty good prices on flea bay, think your idea to change the speakers to run with my existing amp is the right way forward.

Anybody any other thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS