Suggestions on upgrade path(s) for old system

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
All

Bear with me on what may be a long post, but I was hoping for some opinions/options on potential upgrade paths for my current system, which is now around 12 years old.

My current system is:

Sony TA-FB940R Integrated Amp and the associated Sony CDP-XB930 CD player. These are paired (bi-wired) with some classic (but probably not very good) Acoustic Energy Aegis 3 speakers.

A stonking system I'm sure you'll agree - cost me about £1500 back in the day (with the associated Sony MiniDisc player, which I bought to record DJ mixes I used to make in my bedroom! Happy days!)

Now I also have an Airport Exress (new one) attached to my amp which has now become the main feed for my music, which comes from a mixture of downloaded dance mixes (Hybridized) in various bit rates (most 320 now), streamed music from apps like SoundCloud as well as iTunes content which is a mixture of ripped CDs (more recently using Apple's Lossless format) and downloaded content from iTunes. I play this using iTunes Match as well as through my Synology NAS (using DS Audio app) - I guess the former means music is played at a 256 rate??)

My music taste is largely electronic in taste (quite varying) but also like rock, indie and alternative/ambient styles.

I'm keen to start thinking about upgrading some/all of my components over time and wondering what the options are? This is obviously a pretty open question so to narrow my own mindset I've come up with the following.

Cheapest through to expense would be:

DAC to run through from my AEX to the Amp (£200-£500)

New set of speakers (£600-£1000) plus stands (£200)

Complete streaming solutions (£1,600 upwards for something Naim or Cyrus related) plus speakers (as above).

Whilst I have a CD player at the moment, it is likely to form the same path as my old MiniDisc player and get packed up in the attic, so a CD player probably isn't a must given most of my listening comes from streaming music.

I would be keen to hear suggestions please!?

Just to add, I am very satisfied with the sound currently - it feels warm and open - but I feel it perhaps lacks some accuracy and punch at times and bass levels can be a little 'boomy'. I am also conscious I could be getting more out of my listening.

Cheers in advance
PJ

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Being "satisfied with the sound currently" I would recommend taking your time in making any decision.

Based on what you've described above, I'd suggest auditioning the Harman Kardon HK3490. It features digital inputs - optical and coaxial, so you could connect both your AEX and CDP whilst you rip your CD collection - and healthy power output at 120W and 45A.

The significant boost in Watts and Amps should help towards better control of your speakers. You could also try improving the bass response by repositioning them slightly and/or using the Bass Control on the amplifier.

The HK3490 is available online for £279.99. This allows you to cancel within 14 working days if you're not happy, but you will have to pay for return shipping.

http://www.hiwayhifi.com/site/product.asp?section=1&cat=39&sub=237&prod=31061&dfe_c=261&dfe_t=2f0ad5e764c0c40468f06b2fccf2df50&dfe_s=froogle

Alternatively, John Lewis sell it for £349.95 with a 2 year guarantee included. This also means you can audition or collect/return the product in store.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231038485/Product.aspx?s_kenid=0c3e0ba8-c451-4dc9-a3c9-000023ffce79&s_kwcid=7x864558

matthewpiano

If you are enjoying the sound you are getting be careful about any changes you make. The Sony components you have are excellent and any changes at the sub £500 level are likely to give you a different rather than necessarily 'better' sound.

The HK products recommended above might well suit you, but worth seeking out an audition at Superfi or similar to avoid all the hassle of buying and returning.

T

the record spot

I'd agree with Matthewpiano. I wouldn't be in any hurry to swap out the Sony amp, it's 80wpc so the advantages offered by the HK3490 are minimal. Your amp will deliver 120wpc at 4ohms, 80 at 8ohms so it's not lacking in that department. I'd look at upgrading your speakers, no offence to the good people at AE, but you could look into change there. Depends what you are looking for though and as you seem to want a little less of a boomy speaker, some standmounts might be one way into delivering a tighter, more focused sound that suits your tastes.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone for their input - very interesting.

Apologies if my post came across as if I thought my set up was a bit old and probably rubbish - it wasn't meant to. The Sony kit I bought, at the time was all 5 star products from WHF and I have been very pleased with the amp/cd player combo. I've never been totally convinced by the speakers and think they were 4 star products at the time but my local hifi shop didn't have too much else - I seem to remember auditioning these and some Jumo speakers! Think they were about £250-£300.

Would it be worth auditioning some different speakers then? Given the age of my amp, I assume I would have to take this along to a hifi shop and play some sources through it.

How would these much hyped and talked about KEF LS50s sound? Would my amp be good enough to drive them (the tech specs suggest it should). These could be a start on an improvement path, which may mean either going down a DAC route (MF M1 DAC or even the Audiolab M-DAC?) to improve the streaming of my online music, or heading further into £££ territory and auditioning some hi-end streaming solutions, such as a Naim UnitiLite?

I will certainly play around with the positioning of my speakers. I have just moved house and to a 'period property' which has stone walls and a hard wood floor. I've 'towed' them in very slightly and they are about 8 inches or so from the back wall - maybe to reduce boom I could increase that?

Thanks all

A

Anonymous

i have a 940 amp and a sony sacd cd player...thought they were fab when i first got them, now my main kit is quad and audiolab...it makes the sony kit sound very bright indeed! off they went to the loft!....my recommendation is this...buy a mission pcm 7000 ebay 50quid [must have remote control] then buy a ca dacmagic..use the mission as a transport..try that with your sony amp...i think your speakers are ok. if not get some dynaudio 40 or 42s..very,very good 200quid s/h....still not happy? get a quad909 and audiolab pre amp..again secondhand 500 for quad 300 for audiolab? heres the clincher..spend as much as you can on speaker cables...kimber make a silver interconnect 400 quid? use this between the amp and pre amp...i would suggest a better one than that..lfd reference silver interconnect..in my opinion it makes a such a difference the interconnect between amp and pre amp...buy secondhand kit, spend the most money on interconnects and cables...this is what i have done at home...works for me...

TRENDING THREADS