ae1 mk3 - naim 152/155 xs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just want to report about my change from Cyrus Pre XPD/Xpower to the above Naim combi. The reason was that Cryus was streesing me in combination with these speakers specially in regard to the treble which was sounding a bit agressive.

Total different performance = less details specially in the treble area but more tone in the midrange and bass area. I guess Cyrus is more neutral whereas Naim seems to focus on other ranges of the tone spectrum. The music becomes more relaxed with the Naim set up. A friend of mine who is a Linn fan confirmed after a listening session that the speaker shows now what it is capable of. Just wonder whether a separate/additional power supply = flatcap or hicap, would further improve the naim combi.

My set up also includes an Arcam CD 73 which seems to be an ok CD player, but nothing special.The CD performance improved a lot with the Naim combi. The phono area is still a bit better than the CD sound. Fortunately I was using already BNC cables with RCA adaptors. Naim confirmed this is just the way it seems to be good for phono.

I was asking the forum some weeks ago the question whether the change makes sense and I got advice from some forum members, i.e. Ae Jim and Rick at Musiccraft that the it change would be good and I'am grateful for these comments encouraging me to do it without listening session in advance. Very difficult in Germany considering my location to find a dealer who is offering Naim and Cryus together.

Finally want to say thank you to all members who were replying or reading about the change. May be the report is a hint for AE speaker users as well.

Regards rom Germany

Edgar

My set up : Naim 152/155 XS, Arcam CD 73, Rega P3 -2000,Heed Orbit 1, Benz ACE L, Lehmann Black Cube SE, cables: Phnosophie LS 2 -speaker cable, interconnects Phonosophie BNC/RCA,

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Great to hear you're happy with your set-up now Edgar!

I've said it a few times that I've never been too happy with the synergy between Cyrus and AE products, again not saying there's anything wrong with either in isolation, just not the happiest combinations for the reasons you mention about sharp treble in particular. (also a concern when your product is reviewed on said gear and the same things are mentioned as negatives!)

I'll leave the upgrade info to Rick and others who have experience of the Naim range, we use a Supernait in testing and find it very satisfactory. Glad you've taken the time to try things out for yourself and get the best out of your system - makes it all worth it when everything clicks!

Cheers,

Jim.

A

Anonymous

I would recommend you to get the FlatCap. Once you are done, get rid the Arcam and get a Naim CDP. A Naim setup is incomplete without it's CDP IMHO.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
AEJim:
Great to hear you're happy with your set-up now Edgar!

I've said it a few times that I've never been too happy with the synergy between Cyrus and AE products, again not saying there's anything wrong with either in isolation, just not the happiest combinations for the reasons you mention about sharp treble in particular. (also a concern when your product is reviewed on said gear and the same things are mentioned as negatives!)

I'll leave the upgrade info to Rick and others who have experience of the Naim range, we use a Supernait in testing and find it very satisfactory. Glad you've taken the time to try things out for yourself and get the best out of your system - makes it all worth it when everything clicks!

Cheers,

Jim.

I second Jim's sentiments as Cyrus doesn't seem to bring the best out of our loudspeakers either. I've done the Naim thing with them and all is well AS LONG AS you use a Naim CDP.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comments gents.

My Arcam does not sound bad but I have to try a comparison with a Naim one. I will report once done the test. The positive experience after the change is that also my Rega tt set up sounds more relaxed and as before better than CD. I don't expect this would change also with a Naim CD5XS/flatcap combination but lets see.

The next thing is trying a flatcap to see whether this really is improving the sound of the pre. There are so many different opinions in forums so that a trial will give final impressions.

Regards

Edgar

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts