NAIM CD5 XS

George_Marks

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new here so please bare with me. My system consists of a Naim CD5 XS CD Player, Naim Nait 5i Amplifier and Bowers and Wilkins CM5 Speakers. I've had the system a fews years now but it never fails to impress me - it just sounds so musical and tottally enjoyable

Sadly though my area was receantly hit by some nasty power surges which took out my Alienware PC, a Dishwasher and sadly my Naim CD player. Understandably me and my Wife decided to make a claim on the Home Contents Insurance and in a nutshell I'm Gobsmacked.

The Alienware compuer is being replaced by a HP Pavillion Desktop PC because they say the HP matches the Alienware on specs (that I'll have to agree with because my old Alienware is getting on a bit but I still feel the Aleinware is a better computer.) However, what really has astonished me is that they want to replace my Naim CD Player with one from another manufactuer which is around £800 pound cheaper and it's not one that I've ever heard demonstated before..

Looking at the small print on the Policy it does sate that if they offer a replacement that it will be based on their "experts" opinion what a suitable replacement would be. I have objected to this offer and they are deciding wether or not to get the Naim repaired.

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with Insurance Companies when making a claim for damaged HIFI equipment

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I agree stand by your guns, if you can get the Naim fixed then great but forcing a product on you that is not 'like for like' is plain wrong (bloody insurance companies :mad: )

George_Marks

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi BigH,

Thanks for your reply, the replacement that they want me to take is a Cambridge Audio CD Player (and they do make some good products) I'm not sure which model but I'd assume their top end one but then again everything else is being replaced by budget equipment so I guess that they could try and do the same with the CD Player - I do hope they do the right thing and get the Naim repaired.

George_Marks said:
Hello,

I'm new here so please bare with me. My system consists of a Naim CD5 XS CD Player, Naim Nait 5i Amplifier and Bowers and Wilkins CM5 Speakers. I've had the system a fews years now but it never fails to impress me - it just sounds so musical and tottally enjoyable

Sadly though my area was receantly hit by some nasty power surges which took out my Alienware PC, a Dishwasher and sadly my Naim CD player. Understandably me and my Wife decided to make a claim on the Home Contents Insurance and in a nutshell I'm Gobsmacked.

The Alienware compuer is being replaced by a HP Pavillion Desktop PC because they say the HP matches the Alienware on specs (that I'll have to agree with because my old Alienware is getting on a bit but I still feel the Aleinware is a better computer.) However, what really has astonished me is that they want to replace my Naim CD Player with one from another manufactuer which is around £800 pound cheaper and it's not one that I've ever heard demonstated before..

Looking at the small print on the Policy it does sate that if they offer a replacement that it will be based on their "experts" opinion what a suitable replacement would be. I have objected to this offer and they are deciding wether or not to get the Naim repaired.

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with Insurance Companies when making a claim for damaged HIFI equipment

Mrs. P, some years ago, had her mini system and video recorder nobbled due to a close proximity lightening strike. I've also worked for an insurance company a few years ago, and anything of that nature was deemed as a 'Act Of God'. Clearly, in the insurance point of view, he isn't fully covered.

I'd advise you to call and see how they term it.

BTW, that was one of the reasons I left the industry. They make up their own rules it seems.

George_Marks

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi mitch65,

Thanks for your response, yes in this case I'm going to have to stand by my guns it would be so wrong if I let them get away with this. I really love the sound of my Naim and I dont see whey I should have to give it up.

George_Marks

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi plastic penguin,

Thanks for your reply, luckily this isn't been treat as an Act of God and UK Power Networks have agreed that it was a problem at their end and have had the decency to send me a letter stating this in order to help me with my insurance claim - I just wish that the Insurance Company was just as helpful.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the stand your ground cacamp but there may be two other options.

1. Contact Naim yourself to discuss, I doubt they would be able to give anything other than a rough estimate without inspecting the CDP first. With this info, and if its about the same cost or less than the CA, they might give you a cheque to get it done yourself.

2. Will they let you keep the naim together with the CA. If they will you could put it up for repair on eBay, buy a DAC with the proceeds and connect the CA to it.

Both of them very hypothetical, I admit.

George_Marks

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi stevebrock,

thanks for your response, yes you'd think getting the Naim repaired by Naim would be the most economical way for the Insurance and I would be more than happy with this solution - but perhaps that just makes too much sense.

George_Marks

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi richardw42,

thanks for your suggestions and I was just about to give Naim a ring when the Insurance company phoned. They said that they now realize that the Naim CD Player is specialized HIFI equipment and that they will now give me the money to replace it - it looks like that they will be letting me keep the damaged one too :).

George_Marks

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi stevebrock,

Thanks for your suggestion, your idea really appealed to me. However, I contacted my dealer today and it's one that I've dealt with for many years now and trust totally.

In their opinion they said that they would probably recommend buying a new CD Player and gave the following reason. Apparantly the power supply to the CD Player is a Linear one and from 240 volts you would normally get 24 volts going around the CD Player but if there is a power surge of 350 volts for example then the internal voltage would be 35 volts etc.

The power surge did take out my compter and dishwasher so must have been quite bad and so I do wonder how badly damaged the CD player must have been. On top of this I do wonder if the Insurance comapany will want to see the receipt as proof of purchase for the CD.

It would have been good to trreat myself too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts