Opinion Poll: Best Integrated Amplifier for Vinyl 2.0 System - Rega Elicit-R vs. Naim Nait XS 2

jack18

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I would appreciate opinions from the group on the following:

Simple question: What are your thoughts on which of the TWO integrated amplifiers listed below would be the best for my vinyl 2.0 system (and why)?

Rega Elicit-R

OR

Naim Nait XS 2

Current system in place:

Turntable: Rega RP6 with Exact MM cartridge

Speakers: B&W CM9 floorstanders

Additional Information & Considerations:

- Want to make sure I have enough power, but point to note: I don't listen to my music at ear-bleeding volume levels.

- Within 2 years, will add a network player (likely Naim) and a CD player.

- Home theatre bypass capability is important because CM9 speakers will also be used with a separate home theatre system.

- I realize I will need a separate phono stage if I purchase the Naim Nait XS 2.

- Listening tastes: Rock (from Beatles to Pearl Jam), classical, folk, jazz

- Room measurements in feet (width x length x height)

= 14.3 ft x 28.7 ft x 7.6 ft

= 3119 cubic feet OR 410 square feet (i.e. floor area)

Thoughts/opinions welcome.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I demoed both!

Both superb amps, the Nait XS2 was slightly thicker on bass.

The Elicit R sounded better with my source & speakers.

You need to demo and decide for yourself - I think you should get the Elicit R as it will really match your TT its a great amp and Im well pleased with mine - looks nice too in the flesh:) plus you dont need a phono stage.

Theres plenty of power on tap too.

I thiink Rega have played a blinder with the volume control set up - very usable - each little LED on the dial has 3 increments which are all audible

PS i also use the Elicit R as a power amp for my fronts with my Yamaha AV amp - I dont think the XS2 has this facility

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Jack, welcome to the madhouse.

My opinion shouldn't effect your opinion........but if you want it, I would go for the Rega (out of those two).

If it was my money, it would be a Sugden A21 into different speakers......which demonstrates the problem with other people's opinion.

Good luck with your choice.....and go listen.

:cheers:

Neither. Go for a s/hand Leema Pulse. First, the Leema, like the Rega, has a built-in phono stage, but unlike the Rega it is switchable. Second, it'll have a shed load of inputs. Third, it'll give you similiar SQ to the Naim and Rega. Fourth, the Leema only costs around £650, thus making your bank manager very happy. And last, it has built in thingy called LIPS which allows you to have music in various rooms + AV capability.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Neither. Go for a s/hand Leema Pulse. First, the Leema, like the Rega, has a built-in phono stage, but unlike the Rega it is switchable. Second, it'll have a shed load of inputs. Third, it'll give you similiar SQ to the Naim and Rega. Fourth, the Leema only costs around £650, thus making your bank manager very happy. And last, it has built in thingy called LIPS which allows you to have music in various rooms + AV capability.

I knew you couldnt keep quiet:)

Maybe he prefers his amp not to look like a Sky Box :)

How can he demo a s/hand Pulse?

The OP has stated he only wants 2.0 channels, multiple inputs are not relevant - he has a TT and may get a CD player in a few years:)

Obviously rhe OP has £1600 for an amp.......so he wants a £1600 amp:)

Boith the Naim & Rega are superb amps - he will not go wrong with either!

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:

I knew you couldnt keep quiet:)

Maybe he prefers his amp not to look like a Sky Box :)

How can he demo a s/hand Pulse?

The OP has stated he only wants 2.0 channels, multiple inputs are not relevant - he has a TT and may get a CD player in a few years:)

Obviously rhe OP has £1600 for an amp.......so he wants a £1600 amp:)

Boith the Naim & Rega are superb amps - he will not go wrong with either!

Just copying you. :)

My Leema or MKI does not look like a Sky box, althought the later MKIII does.

The Leema gives you more flexibility without having to faff about with costly upgrades.

I would say the Leema would be better with CM9s, given they pump out a lot of bass... think What Hi-Fi said it the XS-2 can be bottom heavy.

Perhaps you should have a pop at Cno for mentioning the Sugden. What a cheek.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Chill out PP - all in jest!

I honestly think the OP would be better off with the Marantz all in one thingy that Chebby raves about :)

On a serious not, once amps get in to the Elicit, XS2, Pulse category then personal preference to presenttion comes into play - thay are all capable excellent amps.

PS Cno - how dare you mentionn Sugden :)

jack18

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks stevebrock. Appreciated.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the Elicit-R vs. Nait XS 2?

(See my initial post for specifics.)

If you value the AV passthrough / unity gain features then I would opt for the Naim, particularly if you do not mind connecting everything with DIN plugs (the preferred option, not the sole one).

Personally I can't stand the looks of it but I know this means s*d all when it comes to sound quality. I also believe, if you ever need to sell it on, it will hold it's value better than the Rega (but that's only my personnel feeling) I have no data to back this up :)

Like you say you will need a further substantial outlay to acquire a phono stage of similar quality to that in the Rega.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jack18 said:
Thanks stevebrock. Appreciated.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the Elicit-R vs. Nait XS 2?

(See my initial post for specifics.)

Heard the original XS and it was lovely to listen to. Powerful and full sounding. It just made music. Can't comment on the Rega.

Regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
The Leema gives you more flexibility without having to faff about with costly upgrades.
flexibilty? Faff? Can you explain yourself because for the life of me I am really at a loss at what you mean PP

I thought PP was referring to Naim's PSU upgrades and the fact that the XS would require an outboard phono-stage.

However, neither applies to the Elicit (and Naim PSUs are entirely optional), so I am still a bit confused by the 'faff' and 'flexibility' comments.

jack18

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
To all, thanks for your comments thus far.

In the interest of keeping this forum useful, let's focus future commentary on the issue at hand...

Simple question: Best Integrated Amplifier for Vinyl 2.0 System - Rega Elicit-R vs. Naim Nait XS 2?

(enough about the $%%#$ Leema...)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jack18 said:
To all, thanks for your comments thus far.

In the interest of keeping this forum useful, let's focus future commentary on the issue at hand...

Simple question: Best Integrated Amplifier for Vinyl 2.0 System - Rega Elicit-R vs. Naim Nait XS 2?

(enough about the $%%#$ Leema...)

Listen fella you have picked 2 very capable amps - you need to listen to both and let your ears decide

at least you were right about the **** Leema :)

More importantly there is no one that I know of with a Nait XS2 on this forum, however a few of us have the Elicit R, I have demoed both and went with the Rega.

TRENDING THREADS