Horrible experience with Naim Audio!!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Paulnaim

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Guys just had to comment, Its clear that Hone did not have the experience he wished for... But I contacted him directly as my distributor and retailer also have, we have made plenty of offers to solve the situation and replace any equipment he did not think was 100%, he has declined. I really cannot see he wishes for a happy ending. We do not keep secrets from our distributors and retailers and work fully for every genuine complaint to be resolved.

Paul Stephenson

Managing Director

Naim

Paulnaim

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED DUPE]

Guys just had to comment, Its clear that Hone did not have the experience he wished for... But I contacted him directly as my distributor and retailer also have, we have made plenty of offers to solve the situation and replace any equipment he did not think was 100%, he has declined. I really cannot see he wishes for a happy ending. We do not keep secrets from our distributors and retailers and work fully for every genuine complaint to be resolved.

Paul Stephenson

Managing Director

Naim

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Hi Paul

Are you able to respond to the allegation that every Nait 5i and XS is faulty?

I think the answer to that would most likely be no, but the question would be better put to ask how widespread the problem is, or if the fault is an isolated incident.

If you have no issue yourself, then no need to worry unduly.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Overdose said:
mitch65 said:
Hi Paul

Are you able to respond to the allegation that every Nait 5i and XS is faulty?

I think the answer to that would most likely be no, but the question would be better put to ask how widespread the problem is, or if the fault is an isolated incident.

If you have no issue yourself, then no need to worry unduly.

I could have put it better I guess but my point was that I have no problem with my amp and nobody else has mentioned this 'fault' apart from the OP so I was kind of hoping Paul would come back with a resounding no, especially since the OP was quoting a 'Naim engineer'

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
First of all, I would like to apologize for being such a rookie on the forums and not being able to 'multi-quote', I was not around for 4 days and hence replying to everyone affected in the post being 'bumped' up... i don't intend to 'bump' the post at all... I have replied to all replies on my posts in the same way since two years... If someone were to tell me how to multi-quote that would be very kind... :)

Secondly, I think any comment of mine is useless unless i provide evidence... So I would like someone to tell me if posting a screenshot of emails is against the house rules or not... Of course it has names and email addresses, which if need be I can blank out... Either ways, skeptics and loyal fans may choose to disbelieve that as well... I am a customer just like most of you and I feel for the cost of all the equipment, information like this must be known...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
It sounds like Paul from Naim has tried to resolve your issue for you. Would you not be better following that route?

No. Because the phone conversation we had when I called him (it was me who got him involved in the first place for some clarity), he suggested that if I want the replacements in a reliable condition, i should travel to the distributor (who lives in another city) personally, which I honestly find an absurdity. And his reply doesn't cover most of the aspects that are a concern... Including the crackle of the amps.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
John Duncan said:
It sounds like Paul from Naim has tried to resolve your issue for you. Would you not be better following that route?

I agree. You have had a bad experience. We get that. But the managing director of the company concerned has contacted you directly and is trying to resolve the issue. Dealing directly with him would surely be the best course of action at this stage.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
John Duncan said:

I agree. You have had a bad experience. We get that. But the managing director of the company concerned has contacted you directly and is trying to resolve the issue. Dealing directly with him would surely be the best course of action at this stage.

Hello Andy,

I'm not sure how this post is coming across... But I'm not trying to "vent my frustration" or get "revenge" nor get a resolution, this happened a while back... And I have settled with new gear now (not naim)..

Paul had no idea (what seems like from the conversation I had with him around 4months ago) about what was going on, I had to get him involved... And I personally don't understand the use of the words "plenty of offers". I have not at all been offered a replacement or any resolution for that matter on the amplifier (Nait 5i). And the others, I was told that the replacements (which they only offered when I asked my dealer for a refund) would also have the same problems as before... So after all this and having to travel to another city for replacements is just too much effort and arrogance from them.

The company has knowledge of the faults and chooses it to be kept a secret from their own network is APPALLING, what faith are customers supposed to have in a company like this? ... This isn't defamation, its just transparency and I feel whether people perceive it as true or false, this information must surface!

If in any way you feel that this is an inappropriate topic on the forum in any way or is a waste of time... you're free to take it down. Please do let me know if the screenshots are permitted.

Kindest,

Hone

D

Deleted member 2457

hone_u2 said:
John Duncan said:

No. Because the phone conversation we had when I called him (it was me who got him involved in the first place for some clarity), he suggested that if I want the replacements in a reliable condition, i should travel to the distributor (who lives in another city) personally, which I honestly find an absurdity. And his reply doesn't cover most of the aspects that are a concern... Including the crackle of the amps.

Driving to another city is not on! Why can't they deliver them?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
hone_u2 said:
John Duncan said:

Personally, I think you are flogging a dead horse and nothing is likely to be done to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, so why not just try another brand?

D

Deleted member 2457

Overdose said:
hone_u2 said:
John Duncan said:

Personally, I think you are flogging a dead horse and nothing is likely to be done to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, so why not just try another brand?

Agreed. Demand a full refund and move on. Don't let it worry you.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Overdose said:
hone_u2 said:
John Duncan said:

Agreed. Demand a full refund and move on. Don't let it worry you.

YES, I did ask for it, but it was categorically DENIED, because apparently they thought that "the equipment performed as indicated" and refused!... I was forced to sell my equipment having lost complete faith in their warranty for a low price, but I moved on long ago... I only started this thread because a friend convinced me that this issue must be shared...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
OK, you've made your point. Let's leave it there.

Would you want me to leave it? if so, why? I don't see why it's such a big problem... It's only bringing some clarity...

OK,

First things first, Paul cannot deny that I was informed about the problem which I spotted with my amplifier, then i was told that it existed when they engineered it in the first place... I have proof and he cannot deny it... unless he says the network locally provide false information... But they quoted a Naim engineer...

They obviously have not offered to replace that, if not, does the problem still persist with their new range? if not? why didn't they alert me that a replacement or a fix was available? If it does still persist... Why haven't they done anything about it?

Companies cannot keep putting out products with known faults in them and be so arrogant about them!

Just like the others who have questioned, even I want to know directly from the MD...

What the information is worth can be decided by people who read this.... But I don't understand why the info shouldn't surface...

And I'm still waiting for my answer about posting the screenshots...

T

the record spot

You've had the MD of a company get in touch and they've attempted to resolve the issue. You've knocked them back and grinding your axe here. The MD of Naim's come on to this forum and seems to be willing to work to a resolution. Depends how much you are prepared to shift, but gift horses and mouths and all that....

EDIT: And by and large, I think most product quality is pretty impressive these days so it's a bit of a stretch to say that companies keep putting out dodgy products "in secret".

You're welcome to post screenshots if you want. I'm now struggling to understand the purpose of continuing this any longer. You don't have any expectations from Naim, so now they cannot work with you to resolve the issue. The presence of this thread, and the first page is enough to make people aware of a potential issue. What's the point of stretching it to 7 pages?

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Because I don't want to waste 6 pages that have been created ranting about an issue that I have no evidence for... After Paul's reply, I'm actually really surprised how he hasn't spoken about the obvious problems why I called him up in the first place... It's been over a year and they just don't seem to be solving problems that customers like me are having, after I post the shots... You will know exactly why I have been making such a 'fuss'! And how big the problem actually is...

D

Deleted member 2457

hone_u2 said:
Because I don't want to waste 6 pages that have been created ranting about an issue that I have no evidence for... After Paul's reply, I'm actually really surprised how he hasn't spoken about the obvious problems why I called him up in the first place... It's been over a year and they just don't seem to be solving problems that customers like me are having, after I post the shots... You will know exactly why I have been making such a 'fuss'! And how big the problem actually is...

Post them then, let us see. You have to go through somewhere like Flickr in case you didnt know.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
All manufacturers can make mistakes or have rogue machines, and I've had my share.
I had a few Cyrus top of the range DAC XP+ units that had to go back, and this week I've just received a beautiful brand new pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands direct from Vienna, but one has damage that looks like it was from before shipping.
But the manufacturers and the retailers have always been extremely sympathetic and keen to get things sorted.
I can't remember any other posts mentioning that Naim are any different in this respect...apart from your own ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm still waiting for hone-U2's 'proof' that Naim are knowingly selling equipment with faults that their engineers are aware of but haven't fixed. (Faults that I have never experienced - with the same amp and CD - and that weren't reported by the people I sold my system to.)

hone_u2 said:
... then i was told that it existed when they engineered it in the first place... I have proof and he cannot deny it...

Naim customers are not noted for being a 'passive' bunch. Systemic faults in their amplifiers (as described by hone_U2) would have been impossible to cover up, given how many Naim owners talk to each other on online fora.

Regardless of that, hone_U2 is making a serious allegation. That Naim sell goods that their engineers - and their MD - know to be inherently faulty and, furthermore, did nothing to fix it.

He also claims to have been provided the name of at least one Naim employee of whom this is true, allegedly.

I hope he has the kind of 'proof' that will stand up to legal scrutiny. (And not glorified hearsay from a third party.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hone_u2 said:
Yes, if you go on the Naim forums you will see the original threads of the crackle and the fascia marks...

But I was really put off when they locked the thread, so i deleted my account...

The topic is still open to replies.

(I also don't recall you mentioning here that you'd accidently pulled the volume knob off!)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I had a quick look on the Naim forum and there are a few other similar cases on there, 1 guy sent his unit back to Naim twice for repair without any success, he did get a new replacement.

One theory is it could be energy saving lightbulbs.

Also few reports of remote volume controls misbehaving.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts