Horrible experience with Naim Audio!!!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I love naim products but like you I had a really bad experience with their customer service which left me wondering wlhether I would buy from them again. I got it resolved but had to go right to the top to get their attention after much frustration with their normal customer service team.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
only ever had one naim product ( naim xs ) and that was fauly, earthing problem when adding a subwoofer, makes you wonder if product quality is better than quantity.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Am I missing something or am I the only one who thinks the way hone_u2 was treated was horrible and his got a very good arugment.

Oh well the world we live in now.

Yes he has, if it were me I would never buy another Naim product again!

Rega, on the other hand have surpassed thereselves in terms of after sales service - Naim should take note!

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Hang on there! Naim agreed to supply a new unit, but the OP refused as he wanted it sent directly to him and not the dealer. I'd think it entirely normal that Naim wanted to go through their local dealer, if only to check that all was good before forwarding to the customer. That's standard practice.

I get the idea the OP may've been a bit difficult. The other thing is we've only heard his side of the story.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Hang on there! Naim agreed to supply a new unit, but the OP refused as he wanted it sent directly to him and not the dealer. I'd think it entirely normal that Naim wanted to go through their local dealer, if only to check that all was good before forwarding to the customer. That's standard practice.

I get the idea the OP may've been a bit difficult. The other thing is we've only heard his side of the story.

I had asked for the units to be sent directly to me, so that I personally could understand, after all the mess, whether the quality of items supplied was a direct result of naim, or there was some interference. During the investigation there were a lot of things that surfaced, one of them was that those marks may be a result of prior use after shipment to my country. I wanted sealed boxes, there are supposed to be staples and not tapes etc. etc., seriously, the procedures outlined to the international distrinutors are very different from the local, or maybe European even... I didn't even know what was actually done if the boxes were opened... I wanted to isolate ALL THOSE uncertainties, and just get a product directly from the company...

And more importantly, make sure, that the LIVE COCKROACH IN MY AMPLIFIER'S BOX WAS ENGLISH OR KIWI... Cause that was digusting!

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Not to mention, I was also told by my dealer, that as many replacements as you get, these problems will not go, Naim won't tell you that... He conveniently didn't write to me saying that, and then emailed me saying, after a discussion with NAIM UK, they have decided that if they send me the replacements, that would be the full and final settlement of the matter.. That was by far the most arrogant email Ive ever received.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You've never lived in Sydney, have you, mate? Sydneysiders can tell you a thing or two about cockroaches
smile.png

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
You've never lived in Sydney, have you, mate? Sydneysiders can tell you a thing or two about cockroaches
smile.png

Yuk.

That takes me back, roaches own Sydney........ :cry:

Working for a dealer in Bondi Junction, the worst job was fetching empty equipment boxes from the box room, it was best to take them into the yard and shake them out there.

If there was something living in the box then I would be Kiwi, no doubt about that. Back in the day it was a requirement that Naim dealers open and check each item before handing over to the customers. In later years this was not the case, we even had a 'factory style' stapler to 're-seal' the boxes.

I know that some dealers might try and pass off used or demo equipment as new, that is naughty, on the other hands sometimes product needs to be checked or have boards fitted, generally a dealer will be quite upfront about this.

It very much sounds to me that your dealer tried to supply a unit that had been previously opened and maybe used, when confronted it would appear that untruths were told and the problem compounded. I have always found Naim to be very helpful in terms of customer service, but they do have a pretty high opinion of themselves and sometimes that comes out.

Basically it surfaces as a kind of 'we know best' attitude that can on occasion become a bit extreme. Their products have always had 'quirks' and sometimes, when pressed, they will simply tell you that 'that is the way it is' and if you 'don't like it, buy something else'.

I once saw a customer sell a complete SBL active system because Naim were very difficult about a phono board issue. They were asked if they could produce a 'S' type board with it's input impedence optimised for a particular cartridge. All they had to do was alther the input impedence to 100 ohm, very simple. Sadly it did not work well at all so was returned by the customer with his comments, uncomplimentary but polite.

Had they returned the standard boards and simply said that they had tried their best but it really was not a good match, that would have been the end of it, but they had to have a 'snipe', effectively calling him an idiot for not choosing a Troika. The customer overheard and the system was up for sale the next day.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

With all the explanation hone-u2 has done you still on his case.. Dam you must be selling for naim

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Bit of a storm in a teacup the whole thing if you ask me. Trying to give a bit of balance, that's all. There're 2 sides to every story, and we've only heard one.

How big was the cockroach? That'd give an idea where it stowed away.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
There're 2 sides to every story, and we've only heard one.

I'm also waiting for Paul to come out and explain the story from his end... I also want to know what the heck went wrong, and what he was thinking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts