Advice request on budget Hi-Fi

Andy.McGhee

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

I currently have a Cambridge Audio 340A Amp, 340C CD player and S30 speakers. I have recently upgraded my cables to Atlas Equator MK2 Interconnects and QED Silver Anniversary speaker cables and also now have a Tacima mains conditioner.

I am pretty happy although on balance the presentation is slightly bright (got brighter with the QED speaker cables) and there is a slight lack of bass but not surprising with the S30s but overall I am really pleased.

I chose this system as it was a good deal as a package from Richer Sounds and I wanted a gentle and reasonably priced route back in to seperates (which I had abandoned for a few years).

I have around £200 to spend on an upgrade at the moment and I'm tempted by upgrading the speakers to Diamond 10.1s.

Do you think that this would be a worthwhile upgrade or should I upgrade the amp or cd first even it it means saving up for a bit longer. I'm not sure what would be considered the weakest link in my excisting setup.

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
If you have the room for some floorstanders, you could try a used pair of Mission 753s, or Ruark Talisman IIs

I don't think it's worth getting the Diamond 10s, not enough of a move forward.

By the way, are your speakers on stands or a shelf? If staying with bookshelf/standmount speakers, it would be a good move to get some quality, sturdy stands.

When upgrading, I find it best to get something that has plenty of headroom for future improvement, so after speakers, which could do with an upgrade, I would focus on the core of the system, the amp.

A

Anonymous

I think you should focus on the amp first and then after you have saved up you will be able to take your amp with you to demo some speakers that way you will be able to sonically match your system,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts