A visit to Macspur

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I went to visit Mac ( Macspur ) this morning and have a listen to his lovely Electrocompaniet / Accuphase / Harbeth system .

It was lovely to meet someone that I have been talking to on his forum and chat about our hobby and listen to good music .

In the afternoon we drove to my place and listened to my system and listened to more good music.

It's days like these that make this hobby so special and worth all the effort, I think it would be good if more people did the same sort of thing.

What a friendly chap he is, and his system is outstanding too.

Thanks for a lovely day Mac ,we must do it again sometime .*good*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am interested also.

Sidenote
If you guy's are interested I could bring my recording rig and do some recordings of your systems video and audio. People would very much like to see that I think.

I could also interview you like hifi celebrity if you want ... :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok OK!

It was a teriffic day, lovely to meet Electro at long last, a thrill to listen to his superb set up and very good of him to pick me up and drop me back to my house.

Firstly we had a bit of a listening session to my gear, whilst I obviously love it, you'll have to wait for Electro's thoughts on it.

When we arrived at Electro's house I was introduced to Mrs Electro, a very nice lady and obviously a HiFi widow like mine. I was quickly ushered into the listening room and I was immediately struck by the size of it! Although I can't see, I could sense the space around me. I was then shown by Electro, each piece of kit, pre amp, mono blocks, speakers etc... the mono's were much bigger than I imagined and very impressive

I was then settled in a nice comfy chair in the middle of the room and furnished with a soft beveridge.

We started with a track via Spotify called Keith don't go by Nills Lofgren, as it was one that we had listened to on my kit earlier.

It's a live track, highly recommended, and as I expected the scale and sound stage was much bigger than I'm used to. To my ears the top end was a little more forward, but think this was down to the recording rather than the speakers.

Then we went through a few CD's that I brought along starting with a band called August and After, an album called Embers. I brought this along mainly because I thought Electro would like it and he certainly did. Best described as a chamber Folk outfit consisting of male/female vocals, acoustic guitar and Cello... this came across as beautifully natural with the Cello sweeping across both speakers accompanied by the guitar and vocal positioned in the middle as if on the stage in front of us.

I then made the poor chap suffer listening to The National, High Violet, not his cuppa at all, I just wanted to see how the system handled that kind of genre, well enough, but I didn't get that live gig sensation with it.

For me the Electro kit came really alive once we started playing the likes of Dead Can Dance in concert and Jeff Beck live at Ronny Scotts... I can only describe the sound as phenomenal! I was totally submerged in the Dead Can Dance tracks, almost hypnotised, by it's mesmeric rhythms., but I was soon stirred from my revery by Jeff Beck and his stunning guitar skills.

Electro has attempted to recreate the live experience in his listening room and certainly with the size of the room 24ft by 14ft and the excellent Electrocompaniet plus PMC floor standers, he has come as close as anyone can.

I am releived to say, I didn't come away feeling disatisfied with my own kit, as I had feared before hand. I think this is because when it comes to a certain level of HiFi the overall SQ is essentially of a quality that would satisfy most people.

The only thing I was left feeling with a touch of envy over was the listening room... O how I wish I had one that size!

A fabulous day, thank you Electro and one I'm sure we will repeat, perhaps even swap some kit about i.e my speakers with your amps.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

nopiano said:
What fun! I've done similar a few times, both here, and via the Linn forum where someone was offering a listen.

I'd love to hear your impressions too....

I too have been fortunate enough to visit another forum members house and listen to their set-up. Nopiano lives about fourteen miles from me and a very pleasant afternoon was spent listening to his system. He's recently changed his speakers and I hope sometime to go and listen to those.

Correction:- That should read now that he's changed his source, amp and speakers..... :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
No schmusing about and false politeness here. *biggrin*

It was lovely to finally meet Mac and his lovely wife and to hear Mac's system .

As Mac has already pointed out his room is quite a bit smaller than mine so we were listening in nearfield conditions but to be honest it was not the problem I thought it might be on first look.

I was expecting a smooth warm detailed sound but from the off is was quite clearly more than just that.

After sitting down for a chat and a cup of tea Mac talked me through his system and some of the history of his equipment and then he put on Keith don't go by Nils Lofgren.

The sound was warm and detailed as expected but the level of detail and dynamic contrast was more than I anticipated, so was the imaging which was much wider than expected.

We played a few more tracks and it became clear that Mac's system is very easy to listen to with no fatigue and the sound had huge amounts of detail and emotion.

Given the room size it performed extremely well and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, I can see why Mac loves it so much and I doubt he could do any better in the space he has.

If I had any reservations it would be the bass which was controled but a bit unpedictable but Mac explained that he knew about the problem and had tried to treat the space behind the left speaker that was in a corner with no success, maybe if I visit again I could bring some of my special home made solutions along to see if they help.*biggrin*

I was thinking this morning that ellisdj ( Terry ) might be the man to help Mac with his prioblem as he is far more knowledgable about room acoustics than me and he might be able to point Mac in the direction of a DSP solution . That said I would be more that happy to own a system like Mac's just as it stands especially that rather lovely Accuphase amp.

I am also glad Mac liked my system I was worried that it might be a bit too mid forward for his taste but he seemed fairly impressed, I just wish we had more time it seemed to pass so quickly, there was so much more music I would like to have played for him but there is always another day. *i-m_so_happy*

All in all a fantastic day had by all !

insider9

Great read, both!

I'm interested to know how much of the forward mids in Electro's system contribute to the live feel. Do you both think it contributes in a big way or just describes one of unrelated characteristics?

I'm also in a small room like Mac, possibly in an even smaller one.

Mac, have you got any room treatment at present? And if so what were your priorities when putting it in and how successful was it?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Great read, both!

I'm interested to know how much of the forward mids in Electro's system contribute to the live feel. Do you both think it contributes in a big way or just describes one of unrelated characteristics?

I'm also in a small room like Mac, possibly in an even smaller one.

Mac, have you got any room treatment at present? And if so what were your priorities when putting it in and how successful was it?

Since changing from the Sugden Masterclass to Accuphase the base boom isn't any where near such an issue. When I had the Sugden, I tried some crude methods of base traps such as duvets and pillows behind the troublesome left hand speaker, but to no real benefit.

I will certainly take Electro up on his offer to try one of his home made traps to see if it tames what is now not really a major issue. and if it can improve the overall SQ, all the better.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I am interested also.

Sidenote If you guy's are interested I could bring my recording rig and do some recordings of your systems video and audio. People would very much like to see that I think.

Hi Ellisdj

I have mentioned your proposition to Electro... I'd certainly be interested, not sure about any interview though. I believe you are in contact with him from time to time, so if you'd like my Email address drop him a line and I'm quite happy for him to pass it on.

Just going to look at your blog.

Mac

insider9

These PMCs do look great. Thanks for the link and clarification, Electro. I must admit both your equipment is of a very high quality.

Mac, when it comes to bass traps (something I'm looking into myself) as you find out you need something more dense and thicker than duvets etc. I've also tried it recently. If you do have a spare mattress try to put it against the wall behind listening position as a test. It should make a difference and show you what you could achieve with room treatment.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
These PMCs do look great. Thanks for the link and clarification, Electro. I must admit both your equipment is of a very high quality.

Mac, when it comes to bass traps (something I'm looking into myself) as you find out you need something more dense and thicker than duvets etc. I've also tried it recently. If you do have a spare mattress try to put it against the wall behind listening position as a test. It should make a difference and show you what you could achieve with room treatment.

No spare matress I'm afraid and no room for one anyway, I'm sure you're right though.

Will report back once I've tried one of Electro's base traps.

Mac

insider9 said:
Great read, both!
Here, here! Or maybe that should be, hear hear! Many thanks, to both of you.

Straying into what I guess might be called psychoacoustics, it amazes me how our ears adapt to different room acoustics. As long as the room doesn't disrupt the sound too much, we seem quickly to adjust.

Electro, do you listen across the room, or down the length? And, Mac, I guess if you sit more nearfield the Harbeths should be fine, with their heritage?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
ellisdj said:
I am interested also.

Sidenote If you guy's are interested I could bring my recording rig and do some recordings of your systems video and audio. People would very much like to see that I think.

Hi Ellisdj

I have mentioned your proposition to Electro... I'd certainly be interested, not sure about any interview though. I believe you are in contact with him from time to time, so if you'd like my Email address drop him a line and I'm quite happy for him to pass it on.

Mac

Cheers Mac - the interview idea was just a bit of banter but I think its interesting talking to other people about why they have the system they have and their experiences etc. If its interesting to me bound to be interesting to others too

I only live 5 mins from Electro so I will tie up with him.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
insider9 said:
Great read, both!
Here, here! Or maybe that should be, hear hear! Many thanks, to both of you.

Straying into what I guess might be called psychoacoustics, it amazes me how our ears adapt to different room acoustics. As long as the room doesn't disrupt the sound too much, we seem quickly to adjust.

Electro, do you listen across the room, or down the length? And, Mac, I guess if you sit more nearfield the Harbeths should be fine, with their heritage?

I'm pretty sure Electro's system is firing down the room, with the listening chair a lot further back than I'm used to, with plenty of space behind.

I would love to hear the SHL5 plus in a room that size, I suspect they would need a sub though.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Macspur said:
ellisdj said:
I am interested also.

Hi Ellisdj

Mac

Cheers Mac - the interview idea was just a bit of banter but I think its interesting talking to other people about why they have the system they have and their experiences etc. If its interesting to me bound to be interesting to others too

I only live 5 mins from Electro so I will tie up with him.

Excellent, I look forward to it.

Love your review of the Luxman amp... what other brands do you hope to feature?

Mac

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much Mac

I have also reviewed the Arcam P49

I have the Chord SPM 1050 MK2 going live in a few mins literally and I have a new gem ready to be reviewed

A Mcintosh.

I have lots of ideas and things planned, I am going as quick as I can with it but want the quality to be there as well

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Thanks very much Mac

I have the Chord SPM 1050 MK2 going live in a few mins literally and I have a new gem ready to be reviewed

A Mcintosh.

I have lots of ideas and things planned, I am going as quick as I can with it but want the quality to be there as well

A Mcintosh hey! I look forward to that.

You're right not to rush it, quality is most important.

Btw, Re the Luxman, did the flowers work on the wife?

Mac

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Thanks both. Refreshing to read respect for both systems. No one looking to win as it should be.

thumbs_up.gif

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
ellisdj said:
Thanks very much Mac

A Mcintosh.

A Mcintosh hey! I look forward to that.

You're right not to rush it, quality is most important.

Btw, Re the Luxman, did the flowers work on the wife?

Mac

LOL - nope :)

I was looking at the luxman yesterday in Nintronics showroom. I actually dusted it off out of respect, seriously I did not joking.

There will be a sale on there soon of their display / demo stock if anyone is interested in any kit good time to speak to them. The Luxman has a few marks on it, the finish marks easily but someone will likely get it at a steal and be grinning ear to ear :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts