A visit to Macspur

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
nopiano said:
insider9 said:
Great read, both!
Here, here! Or maybe that should be, hear hear! Many thanks, to both of you.

Straying into what I guess might be called psychoacoustics, it amazes me how our ears adapt to different room acoustics. As long as the room doesn't disrupt the sound too much, we seem quickly to adjust.

Electro, do you listen across the room, or down the length? And, Mac, I guess if you sit more nearfield the Harbeths should be fine, with their heritage?

I'm pretty sure Electro's system is firing down the room, with the listening chair a lot further back than I'm used to, with plenty of space behind.

I would love to hear the SHL5 plus in a room that size, I suspect they would need a sub though.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Yes you're right Mac it is firing down the lenth of the room with the listening position about 13 feet from the speakers with around 8 feet clear space behind my head, the speakers are about 8 feet apart from the inner edges so I guess it would be called midfield listening .

Maybe one day we could bring them down and we could try your Harbeths here, but first I will set my brain to you room treatment options which might be quite challenging.

So far I have tested a few options in my head and I don't think that just a bass trap in that corner will do the trick .

I think a combination bass trapping and a curved fronted holed slotted diffuser stuck to the front of the trap would help to mimic the sound of the right hand speaker that is in much more free space .

I have found in the past that getting rid of corners with an object such as a bow fronted corner cabinet filled with dense foam or firmly packed rockwool realy cuts down on the nasy effects corners can cause, but I will do some more thinking on the subject before making anything. *smile*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Thanks very much Mac

I have also reviewed the Arcam P49

I have the Chord SPM 1050 MK2 going live in a few mins literally and I have a new gem ready to be reviewed

A Mcintosh.

I have lots of ideas and things planned, I am going as quick as I can with it but want the quality to be there as well

Now you're talking I love the Mcintosh sound and looks, it may not be 100% accurate but they are just so much fun to listen to, but the price. *shok*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Mac if you want acoustics advice - my son who is 4 calls me mr acoustics which just cracks me up.

I am secretly indoctrinating him to be my paedewon audiophile :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I am interested also.

Sidenote If you guy's are interested I could bring my recording rig and do some recordings of your systems video and audio. People would very much like to see that I think.

I could also interview you like hifi celebrity if you want ... :)

I would be very interested to see how all my efforts actually measure but I am not sure about the video *help* .

A celebrity I am not ! I suspect my ugly mug would do little to improve your viewing figures. *stop*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
Great read, both!

I'm interested to know how much of the forward mids in Electro's system contribute to the live feel. Do you both think it contributes in a big way or just describes one of unrelated characteristics?

I'm also in a small room like Mac, possibly in an even smaller one.

Mac, have you got any room treatment at present? And if so what were your priorities when putting it in and how successful was it?

When I say mid foward perhaps I should have said explicit or ultra detailed, it's not forward as in jumping out into the room in your face .

The PMC PB1i was designed by Peter Thomas so that he could get the best out of that version of the PMC mid dome and tweeter, he was very proud of them when they were first fitted to the smaller OB1i model but thr OB1 simply didn't have enough bass power or depth to fully utilise the potential quality of the midrange unit.

So he built the larger PB1i ( Performance Box ) with two extra custom made heavy duty bass drivers for the PB1 to balance things out and he designed a new huge crossover to cope with the extra power potential

The result was a loudspeaker that holds nothing back and fed with a good source and amp can sound huge and alive like few others, even speakers that are much larger in size .*good*

http://pmc-speakers.com/products/archive/archive/pb1i

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
ellisdj said:
I am interested also.

Sidenote If you guy's are interested I could bring my recording rig and do some recordings of your systems video and audio. People would very much like to see that I think.

I could also interview you like hifi celebrity if you want ... :)

Hi Ellisdj

I have mentioned your proposition to Electro... I'd certainly be interested, not sure about any interview though. I believe you are in contact with him from time to time, so if you'd like my Email address drop him a line and I'm quite happy for him to pass it on.

Just going to look at your blog.

Mac

I am willing to do this if asked. *smile*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Electro mate I will email you tonight re Mac. Thanks for that

I can come and measure for you no probs - however I will need to acuire a usb soundcard first to have an output from a laptop.

I need to have a look and see what will work - if anyone knows please let me know. Then work it out as well but I want another listen to your system - just need 5 hours clear as time dissapears as we know mate

Bear with me please - I am juggling a lot of balls with a 4 year old who wantsto watch lego batman with mr acoustics literally atm :) LOL

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Macspur said:
nopiano said:
insider9 said:
Great read, both!
Here, here! Or maybe that should be, hear hear! Many thanks, to both of you.

Straying into what I guess might be called psychoacoustics, it amazes me how our ears adapt to different room acoustics. As long as the room doesn't disrupt the sound too much, we seem quickly to adjust.

Electro, do you listen across the room, or down the length? And, Mac, I guess if you sit more nearfield the Harbeths should be fine, with their heritage?

I'm pretty sure Electro's system is firing down the room, with the listening chair a lot further back than I'm used to, with plenty of space behind.

I would love to hear the SHL5 plus in a room that size, I suspect they would need a sub though.

Mac

Yes you're right Mac it is firing down the lenth of the room with the listening position about 13 feet from the speakers with around 8 feet clear space behind my head, the speakers are about 8 feet apart from the inner edges so I guess it would be called midfield listening .

Maybe one day we could bring them down and we could try your Harbeths here, but first I will set my brain to you room treatment options which might be quite challenging.

So far I have tested a few options in my head and I don't think that just a bass trap in that corner will do the trick .

I think a combination bass trapping and a curved fronted holed slotted diffuser stuck to the front of the trap would help to mimic the sound of the right hand speaker that is in much more free space .

I have found in the past that getting rid of corners with an object such as a bow fronted corner cabinet filled with dense foam or firmly packed rockwool realy cuts down on the nasy effects corners can cause, but I will do some more thinking on the subject before making anything. *smile*

Hi Electro

Thanks for giving it some thought. One problem is that there's not a lot of room to play with in that left hand corner.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Mac if you want acoustics advice - my son who is 4 calls me mr acoustics which just cracks me up.

I am secretly indoctrinating him to be my paedewon audiophile :)

Any advice welcome, as long as its free lol!

Looks like Electro's got some ideas too.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts